Malt extract and hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hereforbeer

Reaction score
Hello helpful Homebrewtalk community.I am planning on brewing a Stone 11th clone this weekend,but before I go and do the common extract brewing routine,I have a couple questions.Now:

1)I've read about splitting LME additions.How does this affect IBU's?The intact recipe calls for about 92 IBU's - 3 oz.Chinook and 1 oz. Simcoe.

2)Any benefit of a longer boil?is getting the extra IBU's from less hops not worth boiling extract for longer?

Thanks in advance:rockin:

At that high an IBU level for the base recipe, nothing you do would make much difference. You will have to do a full boil, but that's all.

oh yeah,I forgot,I'm doing a full boil,not partial+top off.So I should probably cutback on the 3oz for bittering as well.

You really aren't sacrificing IBU's just by adding a late LME addition. I'm not familiar with the color of Stone 11th, but unless it is a really light gold or straw colored beer the late extract addition probably isn't really that necessary either as long as you thoroughly mix the LME into you boiling water. Late LME additions are usually done for 2 reasons. 1) To lighten the color of the beer. 2) To keep from burning your wort. The darker the beer, the less you need to wory about color. As long as you thoroughly mix your wort you shouldn't have to worry about burning it.

To answer the second part of your question, the longer you boil, the more bitterness you get to a point. After about 60 minutes in the boil your hops utiliztion doesn't increase a lot. I know somewhere on here there is a hops utiliztion chart.

To answer the second part of your question, the longer you boil, the more bitterness you get to a point. After about 60 minutes in the boil your hops utiliztion doesn't increase a lot. I know somewhere on here there is a hops utiliztion chart.

I also read that it gives a better less syrup-like flavor(known to extract brews).

Okay, if the recipe is for a partial boil, then you would want to reduce the bittering hops. On the other hand, since there is a limit on how high the IBUs can go (~100), if it's saying a partial boil AND 92 IBU, it won't happen. The calculators lie.

A 90 minute boil will give you about 10% more bittering over 60 minutes. But that's if the 100 IBU limit hasn't been reached.

Okay, if the recipe is for a partial boil, then you would want to reduce the bittering hops. On the other hand, since there is a limit on how high the IBUs can go (~100), if it's saying a partial boil AND 92 IBU, it won't happen. The calculators lie.

A 90 minute boil will give you about 10% more bittering over 60 minutes. But that's if the 100 IBU limit hasn't been reached.

good stuff,had forgotten about the 100 IBU threshold.Thanks.

Back