Making your own rhizomes by layering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Hoppy

Reaction score
For anyone who wants to increase the number of plants they grow without having to buy them, this is probably one of the easiest ways to do it. Essentially, what you're doing is to take one of the many shoots that emerge from your crown each spring, and instead of training it up a string or other support, basically just bend it over and cover it with an inch or so of soil or compost. Once covered, the growing tip will continue to elongate under ground and eventually pop up after a few inches. At this point, you can either train it up a support or you can continue to cover and bury the tip for how ever long you'd like, the longer the shoot grows under ground, the more nodes it will produce. The buds that are formed at each node would have turned into leaves if the shoot were to have been trained to climb rather than being buried.

The first pic shows the crown (to the left by the shovel head) and gives an idea of how long the buried shoot was as is indicated by the shovel and string placed on the soil surface. The growing tip that came up this past spring was bent over and covered with soil once it was a few inches tall and directed to the right.

The second pic just shows where it emerged from the crown and then was buried.

The third pic shows the actual rhizome that formed over the summer once it was unearthed. You can see that the stem kind of hardens off during this period (becomes a little bit woody) and the buds (eyes) that have formed at intervals of about 6-8 inches along it's length.

The 4th pic is a closer view of the buds.

And the last one shows that 3 rhizomes, each with 2 sets of buds have been cut. These will be stuck back in the ground and will be allowed to develop some feeder roots until the ground freezes in a month or so. They will resume growth next spring once the soil temp warms accordingly. Easy as pie!

Rhizome Making.jpg

Rhizome Making 1.jpg

Rhizome Making 2.jpg

Rhizome making 3.jpg

Rhizome Making 4.jpg

To be honest, I've seen a ton of examples of people inadvertently doing this by putting some sort of mulch, weed barrier/fabric, plywood etc down around their plants for whatever reason. The guy that had the weed barrier down ended up redoing the bed that the hop was planted in and almost $H!t himself when he pulled the barrier up and saw hundreds of feet of rhizomes that had been creeping below it for the past 3 years. It was a really impressive picture and just reinforced the fact that as long as you understand how they grow, you can contain them without having to think that they're invasive.

I use the term "invasive" in a positive manner with hops. Like you said, if you know how they grow & spread they're not invasive at all...

In July this year, I discovered a hops sprout coiling around one of my tomato plants. I pulled up the sprout back to the crown of an old Cluster... 15 feet from the tomato! They must like my soil.

Just an update (sorry about the picture quality in advance). I made a rooted, layered cutting from that same plant last year to fill an empty space in the garden. Instead of letting it go the entire summer I lopped it off from the mother plant about a month after starting it and moved it to the empty space. This particular plant didn't produce the aroma and vigor I was hoping for so I dug it up today and took a few pictures. The first one is just to show what that little cutting grew into over the course of about 18 months. The second one shows a portion of the crown wrapped in some string, this is basically the original rhizome and you can see the volume of roots and some impressive rhizomes that have developed in that period of time.

The center of the pic shows a few of the old vines that were trained this past summer and you can see the concentration of buds that have formed at the soil level. These will be the first ones to spring to life next year and are where the bull shoots will come from if any have formed.

BH3 Rhizome:crown 1.jpg

BH3 Rhizome:crown.jpg

Back