Making two separate yeast starter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edalcafa

Reaction score
Friends,

I will brew a Pilsner and I got one wyeast package and did my starter. Unfortunately last night I noticed that I need a second package of wyeast...and store already closed.
So I went today and get second package while the first package is in the starter and spinning on the stir plate.
Should make a separate starter and pitch both same time into the fermenter?

Thanks for your help
Cheers!

Last edited:
If you think the first starter has fermented out I'd cold crash the first starter, decant and step it up with the new packet of yeast. My 2 cents.

If you have another available starter vessel, I'd cold crash, decant and then store in the fridge while you use the second vessel for the second starter.

Otherwise I'd cold crash, decant and then store the yeast in a sterilized vessel, like a mason jar and just buy another packet, make another starter in that bottle. Once its done bring the other up to room temperature and pitch them both. There shouldn't be much detriment on the first starter by waiting a day or two if they yeast are put to a mild slumber in the fridge.

Thanks for the replies.
Yes I did calculate but I wouldn't know until I put pack date package then shows 2 packa needed. Next time I would use an app in my phone to calculate that at the store rather at home. I am brewing Pilsner. Actually bought bigger flask (I need it anyway) and prepare 2nd starter while the first is cold crashing. Since I don't have much time for cold crash the 2nd I will pitch the whole thing in the fermenter.

Back