Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"2:1 (water : rice) when boiling sticky rice is way too much. I also tried cooking in a rice cooker at 1:1.5 (water : rice) and even that yielded a much wetter, stickier rice than the steaming method.[/QUOTE]"

I only had jasmine rice on hand so that may account for something. I just used the ratio I use for home cooked rice. Not mushy at all .I did lay it on parchment paper on a table to cool before sprinkling in powdered yeast balls and mixing then packing into glass jars.

I hope this next 30 days waiting doesn't drag on too much.

I only had jasmine rice on hand so that may account for something. I just used the ratio I use for home cooked rice. Not mushy at all .I did lay it on parchment paper on a table to cool before sprinkling in powdered yeast balls and mixing then packing into glass jars.

I hope this next 30 days waiting doesn't drag on too much.

Ahh, yes. Jasmine rice is much (much) less sticky than glutenous rice and can be easily cooked in a rice cooker like normal rice. I tried cooking glutenous rice at 2:1 like I do with regular rice and it turned out to be a gigantic gluey mess. It was hard to even get the crushed balls mixed in. It still fermented fine though, but I'm pretty sure it's a lot more diluted than when following the recipe because of all the extra water.

I use a microwave rice cooker. The water should cover the rice to about the first knuckle on your finger. Turns out perfect every time in 15min. 5min on high and 10min on 50% power for upto 3 dry cups in a 1000watt microwave.

Let set for 5min, fluff the rice and allow to cool with the lid off or covered with just a cheese cloth.

When i use sticky rice or Japanese short grain rice i rinse the rice as many times as it takes for the water to run clear. The cooked rice is far less sticky. Keep a faucet running when handling the rice and wet your hands during mixing. The rice is far easier to handle and it adds very little water to the rice/yeast ball mix.

Interesting... Were you just experimenting or following a recipe? Your result looks much more opaque and brownish than my results with not a bunch of extra water. It looks a lot like Makgeolli which has much more water than this thread's recipe, but it also only about 5% ABV.

Is the total rice 5lbs or was that the starting amount before adding more rice every 3 days? How long did you ferment in total?

How did you measure that when it starts out pretty much as solid rice?

So my friend has a digital refractometer. He tested my most recent brew. Here is a link: https://www.southernlabware.com/dig...SQefJ086TK4RBAGMgGsErOx89-_if1FES8aAkNA8P8HAQ

The total amount of rice was 5 lbs of Nishiki. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1465851164.545804.jpg

The opacity has settled quite a bit. I'm letting it sit 1 more week. I was experimenting from ideas I gathered from watching lots of YouTube videos. It's such a fun process.

So my friend has a digital refractometer. He tested my most recent brew. Here is a link: https://www.southernlabware.com/dig...SQefJ086TK4RBAGMgGsErOx89-_if1FES8aAkNA8P8HAQ

The total amount of rice was 5 lbs of Nishiki. View attachment 358507

The opacity has settled quite a bit. I'm letting it sit 1 more week. I was experimenting from ideas I gathered from watching lots of YouTube videos. It's such a fun process.

Looks like a lot of wine. I can't see the refractometer information. When I click on the link it says no secure connection to the site.

The total amount of rice was 5 lbs of Nishiki.

Thanks for the clarification and the link!

According to my math, it isn't possible for you to get 23.5% ABV from only 5 lbs of rice yielding a total of 1.5 gallons of liquid.

According to this page, Nishiki sushi rice has 33g of carbohydrates per 41 gram dry serving.

5 lbs of dry rice comes out to 2267.96 grams of rice, which yields 55.309 servings. At 33 grams of carbs per serving, that yields 1825.212 grams of carbohydrates. If you got 100% conversion of carbs to sugars, it would give you 1825.212 grams of sugar, which is the equivalent of 4.024 lbs of sucrose. Using this brewing calculator, 4.024 lbs of sucrose in a 1.5 gallon batch would yield a SG of 1.123, which assuming an FG of 0.995 (fully dry) gives a potential ABV of 16.8% - 18.72% depending on the calculation chosen.

I could have made an error in there somewhere, but I don't think so. It doesn't sound right that 5 lbs of rice could yield that high an ABV with all that added water.

If doing the calculation with 5 lbs of sucrose instead of rice, you could possibly get it that high if the yeast survived. The SG would be 1.153, which estimates to 20.74% - 24.22% (assuming an FG of 0.995) depending on the calculation.

Thanks for the clarification and the link!

According to my math, it isn't possible for you to get 23.5% ABV from only 5 lbs of rice yielding a total of 1.5 gallons of liquid.

I suppose my friend's refractometer could be wrong. It's a man made device that may be flawed or improperly used. All I know is that this batch packs a punch on the liver. Thanks for the info.

I suppose my friend's refractometer could be wrong. It's a man made device that may be flawed or improperly used. All I know is that this batch packs a punch on the liver. Thanks for the info.

Even at 16% - 18%, that's like sake or slightly stronger. That's an impressive yield considering you had so much water. I'm definitely going to experiment with batches like you did with adding water and rice every 3 days.

So many pages, it's hard to read them all. Not sure if anybody else asked this. If your steam the rice with pineapple juice, will the pineapple flavor come through? Or would it make more sense to just add the juice to the finished wine?

So many pages, it's hard to read them all. Not sure if anybody else asked this. If your steam the rice with pineapple juice, will the pineapple flavor come through? Or would it make more sense to just add the juice to the finished wine?

If you use jasmine rice and Chinese yeast balls you'll end up with a lot of pineapple flavor. I would add the juice before drinking, and not ferment it, if you want more pineapple and/or sweetness.

Even at 16% - 18%, that's like sake or slightly stronger. That's an impressive yield considering you had so much water. I'm definitely going to experiment with batches like you did with adding water and rice every 3 days.

Yeah, my next batch I'm gonna do the same way and I'll use koji rice this time. I just got a koji from Japan. I got 500 grams for $15. I'm excited about the process.

My last batch is now being infused 1/2 with cucumber 1/2 with coconut. Yummy!

Considering the cost of the koji i was not very impressed with it for making a rice wine. ARL, RYR and yeast balls all tasted just as good to me for a fraction of the price. At $15/500 gram and the effort involved to make it, i can pretty much buy sake for that price.

RYR mixed with yeast balls sofar has been about the best overall.

Considering the cost of the koji i was not very impressed with it for making a rice wine. ARL, RYR and yeast balls all tasted just as good to me for a fraction of the price. At $15/500 gram and the effort involved to make it, i can pretty much buy sake for that price.

There's just something about using the Red Yeast Rice and Yeast balls that transforms the wine. It looks completely different than just using yeast balls and gives the appearance of fruity. But, I would say strong and smooth are my best description of it.

There's just something about using the Red Yeast Rice and Yeast balls that transforms the wine. It looks completely different than just using yeast balls and gives the appearance of fruity. But, I would say strong and smooth are my best description of it.

I agree. It has a very fruity aroma. Whether that's a good thing or not is subjective. I like it, but I also like it without the RYR.

Yeah $15 is high but I wanted to give it a try. I'm finding already that the basic recipes in this forum may prove best. My 5/31/16 batch is doing great. I've not stirred it, nor tasted it, I'm just letting it ride as Sonofgrok consistently encourages us all. It smells amazing.

I know by reading this thread that it's generally accepted to let this ferment for 21-30 days. Both my batches of glutenous rice and long grain rice completed in 30 days, but my batch of broken jasmine rice has been going now for 41 days and is still bubbling quite vigorously. I hesitated to leave it past 30 days because I've read that it can start to sour into vinegar, but over the last 10 days I have clearly noticed both an increase in liquid volume and a lot more of the floating rice has started hanging down and disintegrating. The liquid is still clear and it seems both more starch conversion and fermentation are taking place. For those that use jasmine rice, do you generally just halt it at 30 days regardless or do you wait until it stops bubbling?

To answer my own question, I decided to wait until it had almost completely stopped bubbling, which ended up being 50 days since I started. It took on slightly yellow color the last couple of weeks of fermentation, but I'm happy to say that it's absolutely amazing tasting. Smooth, sweet, and potent! I think it actually tastes better than the batch I made using glutenous rice. That finished a lot faster, but wasn't nearly as delicious. I'm currently making another batch using glutenous rice also.

I had an impressive yield also. 2 1/2 c dry broken jasmine rice turned into 1.223 liters of cloudy, delicious rice wine. (I squeezed the rice solids in a paint strainer. I'd rather have cloudy wine than waste all that liquid.)

To answer my own question, I decided to wait until it had almost completely stopped bubbling, which ended up being 50 days since I started. It took on slightly yellow color the last couple of weeks of fermentation, but I'm happy to say that it's absolutely amazing tasting. Smooth, sweet, and potent! I think it actually tastes better than the batch I made using glutenous rice. That finished a lot faster, but wasn't nearly as delicious. I'm currently making another batch using glutenous rice also.

I had an impressive yield also. 2 1/2 c dry broken jasmine rice turned into 1.223 liters of cloudy, delicious rice wine. (I squeezed the rice solids in a paint strainer. I'd rather have cloudy wine than waste all that liquid.)

Not accepted to just go 21-30 days, but many do.
I always go 5-6 weeks and have never had the wine go sour, using Chinese yeast balls and jasmine or any other rice.
I've liked the jasmine rice batches better, and at $15 for 25# rice, a good price point.
Good yield, enjoy!

Jasmine is cheaper than a good short grain sticky rice. Another good cheap rice are the Korean rice varieties. They are short to medium grain in size. Rhee Chun and Han Kuk Mi are both cheaper Cali grown brands.

Doing some bigger batches.

2 gallons from last batch and cooking up 20 pounds of jasmine rice for the next batch.

2galricewine.jpg

20poundsrice.jpg

I think I might have a problem with mine it has been fermenting it for 4 days and while there is alcohol being created there is also a white mold like substance growing on the rice should I be worried.

I think I might have a problem with mine it has been fermenting it for 4 days and while there is alcohol being created there is also a white mold like substance growing on the rice should I be worried.

I don't think that's a problem. In fact, it's a good thing. Can you take a picture and post it?

Search this thread. There's a ton of talk about the mold. It's normal and to be expected. The yeast balls contain both a mold and a yeast. The mold grows throughout the rice and creates amylase enzyme which breaks down the starch into liquid sugars which the yeast is then able to ferment. Some people see the mold growing on the outside of the rice, some don't. Regardless, the mold is growing throughout the rice. If it didn't, you'd never get fermentation.

Its kind of hard to see in the photo but here it is.

Looks nice and white and fluffy. This is a good thing. Just make sure there's nothing black in color. As others have posted, the growth of mold is needed to break down the starches and convert/ferment. Keep it going.

Looks nice and white and fluffy. This is a good thing. Just make sure there's nothing black in color. As others have posted, the growth of mold is needed to break down the starches and convert/ferment. Keep it going.

Little black specks on the mold hairs is okay though.

Perhaps it's been mentioned already, but I'll say it here... Pasteurize!

Along with the benefits of killing off anything you don't want to ingest, it also deactivates the yeast that you do want in the rice wine. If sealed in an airtight container, there's a high likelihood that, without pasteurization, the yeast will remain active and carbonate your beverage.

In an earlier batch, I didn't pasteurize and the rice wine was stored in small mason jars in the fridge. When opened after a week, it was bubbly like champagne.

Along with the benefits of killing off anything you don't want to ingest, it also deactivates the yeast that you do want in the rice wine. If sealed in an airtight container, there's a high likelihood that, without pasteurization, the yeast will remain active and carbonate your beverage.

In an earlier batch, I didn't pasteurize and the rice wine was stored in small mason jars in the fridge. When opened after a week, it was bubbly like champagne.

I have also pasteurized both batches I made because I read that if it continues to ferment it may eventually turn to vinegar due to the mix of different bacteria. I haven't opened any of my pasteurized stuff. I'm curious, do you know if it significantly changes the taste?

Another option is to just wait until it has finished fermenting.
I've said this before in the thread... if you wait until about 6 weeks the rice wine will have finished fermenting and you don't have to worry about pasteurizing or carbonation/further fermentation.
This has been with both Chinese and Vietnamese yeast balls.
I harvest at 6 weeks and bottle in 2 liter plastic bottles to sit and settle to decant for clear wine, and rarely have any additional CO2 being produced.

... I'm curious, do you know if it significantly changes the taste?

Yes, I personally prefer the taste of rice wine over rice wine vinegar. I also don't miss cleaning up the mess from exploding bottles.

Your are also less prone to foul taste from other organisms growing in your bottles. Salmonella and other nasties can be an issue after long term storage.

Of course pasteurization is not necessary if you keep your bottles cool and consume them within a couple months.

what is the best process to crew sake? there are so many online and so many on the forum...what do you guys recommend? i just wanted to do a basic dry sake with japanese rice and koji.

What would be the best way to pasteurize this?

There's a thread in the cider forum about stovetop pasteurizing.

I tried pasteurizing several ways. My best attempt was the last. I put the wine in a fairly strong bottle (just to be safe) like a flip top, then I heated water to about 150, turned off the heat and put the bottles in it for about 10-20 minutes to let everything equalize. Since I didn't have a large enough pot to do all this in a single go, I then heated a second pot of hotter water -- 180 I believe. I poured the hot water into my 5 gal bucket and then transferred the warmed up bottles into the bucket with the 180 degree water. I had to then heat more water in a few more batches to fill the bucket high enough with hot water, adjusting the temperature higher as the bucket water dropped temp. Keeping the lid on between water batches helped keep the temp from dropping too much though. According information I read, you want to keep the contents of the bottle at 165+ for at least 10 minutes.

The main things I tried to avoid were A) shocking the bottles by sticking them directly in 180+ degree water B) heating the pot with glass bottles inside it.

You also want to leave a decent amount of head space in the bottle. I left maybe 3-4 inches, but during pasteurization the fluid level rose to where there was only maybe 1/2 - 3/4 inch of space left. It dropped back down as it cooled.

Okay sorry if this was mentioned before but there are sooooo many posts to read through....

I know it was said it turns vinegary over time if aged too much, does this stay the same if pasteurize it or will that prevent that?

Okay sorry if this was mentioned before but there are sooooo many posts to read through....

I know it was said it turns vinegary over time if aged too much, does this stay the same if pasteurize it or will that prevent that?

I've never had a batch go sour, regardless of age, but true pasteurization should kill anything that will sour it.
As mentioned above, the thread on pasteurization linked is a great how-to guide.

Bottled my first rice wine yesterday. Huh... It smells like overripe fruits With a hint of dumpster mixed in and that's when cold. But tastes much better than the smell. Its odd. It very sweet, very tart not really alcoholic or the other tastes overpower it. Seems like it be great for cooking but is very very strong to taste.
Cooked 7 cups rice 14 cups water 4 balls powdered mixed in, stuffed in glass jars with flip tops 45 days in house . It looked like all the pics you see of the stuff.
Not sure if this is how it's supposed to be ( never had rice wine elsewhere) or if I did stuff wrong. If it wasn't so sweet then it would be too tart, but that sugar should have been converted IMO to alcohol
Maybe add different yeast with the balls like in makgeolli home brews I have seen.

Ideas?

Latest posts

Back