Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may have screwed up my second batch. I used Jasmine rice, and I steamed it for almost 2 hours on medium heat, but it turned out kind of firm. That's the only thing I'm worried about. When I used sushi rice, the texture was perfect, but this time I think it may be too dry. Has anyone had experience with using Jasmine rice that was steamed and came out a little on the dry side?

All of my batches have had a bit of a sour/sulfury taste regardless of water ratio, fermentation temps, etc so I am pretty sure the yeast I am using is the culprit. Still tastes good especially warm. Anybody else had experience with these?

p1010123.jpg

I used what look like the exact same yeast balls on my first batch. It came out good, but my other ones (using different yeast balls) have been better. Just like you say, a little sulfury/hot compared to the others.

For anyone who is interested, I cultured one of my rice balls in Mycology class to see what kind of fungus was in there for the saccharrifcation. I was expecting Aspergillus oryzea but instead got Rhyzopus (oryzae?). Haven't sequenced it yet but its definitely Rhizopus and I would guess its oryzae.

For anyone who is interested, I cultured one of my rice balls in Mycology class to see what kind of fungus was in there for the saccharrifcation. I was expecting Aspergillus oryzea but instead got Rhyzopus (oryzae?). Haven't sequenced it yet but its definitely Rhizopus and I would guess its oryzae.

That is interesting. Wondering if it's different for other types of yeast balls that "look" the same.

anyone knows if that pink color stuff is ok? my friend said that i should throw everything away. it's the 7th day of fermentation~~

this is the recipe that i am following.. http://shoonyin.blogspot.sg/2012/04/how-to-make-chinese-rice-wine-no-mi-jiu.html

I wish I could give you a more solid answer than the following but I've seen similarish discolor but I do not know if the reasons are the same. For one, I've used RRY in a couple batches and I got a piece mixed in with my yeast balls that I'm pretty sure dropped into the rice (although glutinous black rice puts off a pinkish purple color as well if you use it). For the other, I'm 90% certain it came off the bag which had a pink color and I found a few grains that had bleed through ink. I drank it, it didn't hurt me, but there is no guarantee it's the same thing so if you really feel worried I would err on the side of caution and move on with it. Rice is cheap for the most part and it isn't worth getting sick if you're not confident in your results. I would think along the lines of no pathogens bleh bleh bleh.... And I'd personally probably still drink it but that's just me.

I'm mildly more alarmed by Grok's discovery of it being Rhyzopus. My memory is a bit hairy but wasn't one of those that had that f'd up strain that killed some guy some years ago? I realize that's probably far less probable but it has at least had a few more run-ins than A. Ory though I thought.

Haha that is great Sonofgrok! I tried a long while back to make my own yeast balls and did not have good results. I actually figured it may have more than one kind of mold in it. But I based that off of old traditional ways of making Jiuqu which was to just leave blocks of dough in a thatch roof for a couple weeks lol. The molds I choose to cultivate my Jiuqu was Penicillium Roqueforti and Aspergillus Oryzae. Looks like I was off by a bit. Let us know if you find anything further.

That is interesting. Wondering if it's different for other types of yeast balls that "look" the same.

I am sure it is. I am still pretty sure at least some of these balls are using A. oryzae.

I'm mildly more alarmed by Grok's discovery of it being Rhyzopus. My memory is a bit hairy but wasn't one of those that had that f'd up strain that killed some guy some years ago? I realize that's probably far less probable but it has at least had a few more run-ins than A. Ory though I thought.

Most Rhizopus species are pretty safe and benign. A lot of bread molds are Rhizopus. Aspergillus has its nasty species as well, think fumigatus.

Haha that is great Sonofgrok! I tried a long while back to make my own yeast balls and did not have good results. I actually figured it may have more than one kind of mold in it. But I based that off of old traditional ways of making Jiuqu which was to just leave blocks of dough in a thatch roof for a couple weeks lol. The molds I choose to cultivate my Jiuqu was Penicillium Roqueforti and Aspergillus Oryzae. Looks like I was off by a bit. Let us know if you find anything further.

I might end up sequencing it but I found some more interesting stuff on an onion that I think is Penicillium that might be more interesting to burn my free sequence run on. Like I said, I am pretty sure what the rice ball culture is just getting it under the scope. A. oryzae has alpha-amylase excretion as well and I am pretty sure it is also a staple in the sake industry.

I am sure it is. I am still pretty sure at least some of these balls are using A. oryzae.

Most Rhizopus species are pretty safe and benign. A lot of bread molds are Rhizopus. Aspergillus has its nasty species as well, think fumigatus.

I might end up sequencing it but I found some more interesting stuff on an onion that I think is Penicillium that might be more interesting to burn my free sequence run on. Like I said, I am pretty sure what the rice ball culture is just getting it under the scope. A. oryzae has alpha-amylase excretion as well and I am pretty sure it is also a staple in the sake industry.

Guys like this online and nobody can figure out what some pink s**t is in a guy's brew.. lol. :D

I may have screwed up my second batch. I used Jasmine rice, and I steamed it for almost 2 hours on medium heat, but it turned out kind of firm. That's the only thing I'm worried about. When I used sushi rice, the texture was perfect, but this time I think it may be too dry. Has anyone had experience with using Jasmine rice that was steamed and came out a little on the dry side?
I tried to stream a batch of sweet black rice and it didn't absorb enough water...smelled good, grew some fuzz on top but almost no liquid produced. I gave up steaming and went back to boiling in a pot. Soaking might help if you insist on steaming

Soaking in water prior to steaming is important. The steam is not supposed to rehydrate the rice. The steam is just the element used to slowly heat the rice to get it to cook.

Damn, that's exactly what I'm seeing. There's some fuzz on top, but it looks way too dry to yield any good quantities.

Tamarlane: Did your batch taste ok?

Arpolis: I should have soaked it. I read a lot about being careful about soaking, because it could make it sour. I did however add water into the bottle before sealing, I hope that will help with the dryness.

It's only been 3 days, maybe I'm just being impatient because I'm unfamiliar with Jasmine rice

He could probably figure out the pink if he had a sample. Figuring it out from a picture though... Heheh.

The only Rhyzo I've seen up close is a "non-toxic" cleanup for glycerol of some other items. I thought it was more prone to mutating than Aspergillus though.

It's only been 3 days, maybe I'm just being impatient because I'm unfamiliar with Jasmine rice

Some of my drier batches of jasmine have taken a week to show liquid.

He could probably figure out the pink if he had a sample. Figuring it out from a picture though... Heheh.

The only Rhyzo I've seen up close is a "non-toxic" cleanup for glycerol of some other items. I thought it was more prone to mutating than Aspergillus though.

Yah, with a sample I could probably do better. Pink is likely bacterial though... but I didn't want to scare anyone without knowing for sure haha. It may turn out fine.

I should add that is assuming it is organismal at all and not discoloration due to some other factor.

Arpolis: I should have soaked it. I read a lot about being careful about soaking, because it could make it sour. I did however add water into the bottle before sealing, I hope that will help with the dryness.

A good way to reduce that sourness is to use ice cold water with a few ice cubes mixed in and left in the fridge over night. Then steam the next day. Always works out for me.

A good way to reduce that sourness is to use ice cold water with a few ice cubes mixed in and left in the fridge over night. Then steam the next day. Always works out for me.

That's a first for me. I don't have a sour problem but, I may try this just to see what difference it makes.

I still make mine according to SOGs original post (except for the soaking) but I love how this stuff evolves. Many possibilities. :D

...I might end up sequencing it but I found some more interesting stuff on an onion that I think is Penicillium that might be more interesting to burn my free sequence run on. Like I said, I am pretty sure what the rice ball culture is just getting it under the scope. A. oryzae has alpha-amylase excretion as well and I am pretty sure it is also a staple in the sake industry.
That wouldn't surprise me. I've had that back of the mind itchy thing that said what I was making rice wine out of probably wasn't aspergillus oryzae. It seemed to be more tolerant of differing growing conditions that a. oryzae is supposed to be. That, and it just didn't look that much like the photo's I've seen of sake making fungus.
Guys like this online and nobody can figure out what some pink s**t is in a guy's brew.. lol. :D
Honestly, I thought it looked like an algae. That's a common problem with mushroom growth medium if it's left in a location with to much light.

Ok, so my batch is coming along. The mold grow on top is much different than last time though. The last batch I made with sushi rice and yeast balls grew a white crust layer on top, it was even coloured and didn't have any hairs. This time my batch is with Jasmine rice, yeast balls, and RYR. The mold on top is a layer of white fuzz, like what you'd see on rotting fruit. I barely smelled the sweet ferment smell, like it's just starting.

Can you do this with a wine or champagne yeast? I have a tone of extras and do not want to buy the Chinese yeast if possible.

Can you do this with a wine or champagne yeast? I have a tone of extras and do not want to buy the Chinese yeast if possible.

You need to have something that breaks down the rice starch into sugars that the yeast can then eat. Rice with just yeast will produce absolutely nothing. There's no sugar there for it to eat. Chinese yeast balls and those like it are the only way you'll ever make rice wine... except for things like White Labs has a Sake yeast that will do it. One vial of the White Labs will cost you more than a whole bag of yeast balls.

I think there was discussion here before about adding Amylase enzyme to the rice and using other yeasts, though I don't remember if I saw any posts about the results.

GD April Fools Day... Any other day and I wouldn't be apprehensive for posts like this. ;) Nevertheless, rice is cheap so why not.

On an unrelated sidenote, My 12mo batches ages out today. Interested to see the differences and if it'll be worth it or if I'll just turn to vinegar if it hasn't already :). That said, it's crystal clear now. :)

I love this stuff after 3 weeks fermenting.....I can't imagine what it must taste like after an entire year????

I think a lot of people are stopping fermentation to bottle the rice wine way too early.
Look back at the number of people who have continued fermentation in the bottle at room temperature or in the refrigerator. If they were making beer everyone on here would say that they are bottling too soon.
If you want sweeter rice wine, keep the solids as with nigori sake, if you want a drier rice wine, refrigerate or let the bottle(s) sit and decant the fluid only.
I haven't had a batch continue to ferment after straining out the solids/kasu, and am waiting for at least 4 weeks, and usually 5-6 weeks, before harvesting. Not a single batch of mine has continued to ferment after straining out the solids, and I hear that from others. I doubt that a 1 year old batch will be fermenting either.
I'll bet the 1 year old rice wine is good/great. :mug:

You need to have something that breaks down the rice starch into sugars that the yeast can then eat. Rice with just yeast will produce absolutely nothing. There's no sugar there for it to eat. Chinese yeast balls and those like it are the only way you'll ever make rice wine... except for things like White Labs has a Sake yeast that will do it. One vial of the White Labs will cost you more than a whole bag of yeast balls.
White labs sake yeast, wlp705 and 709 are just yeast. They are supposed to be used in conjunction with aspergillus oryzae, rather then stand alone. Japanese sake differs from typical Chinese, Thai, and Korean practice in that the rice is inoculated with the fungus that breaks down the starches separately from the addition of the yeast. Which is why the koji spores and the yeast are sold separately. You would still need either an amylase producing fungus or amylase enzyme or you wouldn't have any sugar for the yeast to turn into alcohol.
...On an unrelated sidenote, My 12mo batches ages out today. Interested to see the differences and if it'll be worth it or if I'll just turn to vinegar if it hasn't already :). That said, it's crystal clear now. :)
I tasted some red rice wine that's about a year old now. I have to say, I wasn't all that happy. The flavor soured in the bottle a bit. It's really to tangy for my tastes. The alcohol smoothed out wonderfully, but otherwise I wasn't thrilled. I'm wondering if it has something to do with bottling with so many solids in suspension....

My batch was looking still, it had a thick crust on top which was separating from the rest of the rice under it. I shook it up and after a day it is bubbling vigorously

I've been really interested in trying this rice wine since I stumbled upon this thread. Finally finished reading the entire thing :rockin:. We have a good size Asian market about 25min from here went to check it out and couldn't find any rice balls or red yeast rice. I walked out with a 10lb bag of sweet rice and ended up ordering the yeast and RYR from Asainsupermarket365. My stuff finally came in this week and I started my 1st batches.

I cooked 10 dry cups to split between 2 - 1 gallon glass pickle type jars. I was afraid I overcooked the rice to much it was kind of gloopy and messy but I could still distinguish seperate kernels. So I spread it all out onto 2 half sheet size cookie trays and placed it in the refrigerator over night to cool. The next morning I took it out and left it on the counter for a while to come up t room temperature with a damp kitchen towel over the top.

I ground up 1 ball for each tray and sprinkled over the top evenly. As I put the rice in the jars I layered with whatever powder I had left over. For the RYR batch I ground up 1/3 cup of the RYR and did the same, sprinkled over top and layered after additions in jar.

I placed a kitchen towel over each jar and screwed the lid on. Put them under the counter out of the light. My house temperature is around 68 - 70 F.

Here is my pics on day 3. They both look good to me so far, the RYR seems like it works better or faster.

20140406_181059.jpg

20140406_181051.jpg

Quick question have a batch that's been goin two weeks wine is separating from the rice good but smells a little like formaldehyde or at least what I remember that smelling like from biology is that the sweet smell you guys are talking about I realize I'm pickling my liver with the beer but don't want to pickle everything else

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

As far as above comment used the rice balls following the first post exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back