Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
okay so i checked the abv of my dandelion wine . 9.7 as opposed to 6.5 I think on rice wine .
now I did not use the 500 milliliters , about two cups as was called for in the test . I used a couple hundred or 6 ounces to be exact. So maybe that matters a little and it is actually higher than i rate but still my dandelion is far stronger than rice . I can also attest to the fact that i have drank both and yes it is much stronger .
I just drank some of Gar's wine . I do have a buzz from it .
By the way Gar I will be sending you some of my dandelion wine to test out for ABV . I also plan on using that RYR to make a new batch . I tried to find some around here but no luck . Is this in the rice section or around the yeast section ?

okay so i checked the abv of my dandelion wine . 9.7 as opposed to 6.5 I think on rice wine .
now I did not use the 500 milliliters , about two cups as was called for in the test . I used a couple hundred or 6 ounces to be exact. So maybe that matters a little and it is actually higher than i rate but still my dandelion is far stronger than rice . I can also attest to the fact that i have drank both and yes it is much stronger .
By the way Gar I will be sending you some of my dandelion wine to test out for ABV . I also plan on using that RYR to make a new batch . I tried to find some around here but no luck . Is this in the rice section or around the yeast section ?

Who cares what the alcohol content is. If you can make it and it tastes good...that's what matters.

I've brought this stuff to parties and have asked people to make a batch for money. They never asked me what the alcohol content is.

I make the red yeast rice, plain jasmine rice and a plain jasmine rice flavored with fruit juice. All taste good and strong.

Ill be honest i don't remember what was around it i haven't been to that store in quite some time. ill make it a point to get back there soon and send you some with the pepper wine i forgot to send. ill be interested in the dandelion wine been thinking of trying to brew that one for a while

mjwj12;
the yeast is a little hard to find sometimes . It is in a small cellophane bag with usually 4 round balls like these . http://www.souschef.co.uk/chinese-yeast-ball-for-rice-wine.html Look on every isle . It is never where you think it should be .
What you have is bakers yeast.
Also you should be able to buy rice in plastic bags that the store has bagged up from 50 pound sacs . " sweet rice, glutenous rice, sticky rice etc"

These are the exact same yeast balls I have used for my first batch, whitch should be ready to harvest sometime this week.

One batch with 500grams of fragrant jasmine rice rinsed and soaked for a few hours then cooked in a rice cooker with 4cups of water and mixed with 4 yeast balls.
Another batch with 500grams of sushi rice rinsed and then cooked with 4 cups water and 2 yeast balls.
The rice worked out at 3.5 cups dry rice.

The jasmine rice smells very sweet and almost cidery. The sushi maybe a little bit sharper and not just as sweet.

Both are in an airing cupboard that sits around 25C and only light is when the door is opened.

I am looking forwards to tasting this!

Clem

Who cares what the alcohol content is. If you can make it and it tastes good...that's what matters.

I've brought this stuff to parties and have asked people to make a batch for money. They never asked me what the alcohol content is.

I make the red yeast rice, plain jasmine rice and a plain jasmine rice flavored with fruit juice. All taste good and strong.

I have yet to taste any that I would say tastes good so plenty of alcohol is needed in my opinion .
I am using jasmine rice next time . I have been using sweet rice and sushi which both tasted exactly the same . But then maybe it got too hot and gave it a bad taste which is why I am making a new batch in the fridge this time .
I still think it needs a good wine yeast after fermenting with rice yeast to bump up that alcohol to 18% . I am planning of giving that a try but not sure how it will work out since I would be dropping that yeast right into alcohol and it may shock it .

also am going to weigh the rice and use the proper amount of yeast at 1 ball to 250 - 500 grams . I may have not used enough and that left starches in it that gave it a bad taste and low abv. Just a thought .

His post seemed more a statement of fact, to me, than any sort of commentary on the practices of others. Not entirely deserving of a rant, IMO. However, meander as you'd like.

:off:

In about a week I'm going to reply to a post 30+ pages ago. So, my advice wasn't even extreme enough to help in that situation :)

This thread is analogous to someone posting the first HBT mead recipe in the wine forum and then 99%+ of the mead posts going in that thread for over a year.

I have yet to taste any that I would say tastes good so plenty of alcohol is needed in my opinion .
I am using jasmine rice next time . I have been using sweet rice and sushi which both tasted exactly the same.

I've made a lot of batches and my favorites always use Thai jasmine as the "base grain" (at least 50%) and the Heng Lung brand yeast balls as the primary yeast (at least 50%).

When I say " good tasting " I mean I would like to drink it every day . Different from tasting bad . Mine tasted bad but not totally awful . I could only stand to drink a few shot glasses of it at a time . Except for the black rice and it was drinkable but still not good .
the ryr and jasmine Gar sent me was drinkable .

Next time I expect better results.

First batch started tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Home Brew mobile app

1390179299683.jpg

Just did this alcohol test on my last batch because I was curious, but also because I knew something had to be wrong to only get 6% alcohol. I started with a temperature corrected O.G. of .088 (.089 @ 51 degrees) and a F.G. of 1.010. (1.005 @ 105 degrees) With a difference of 22, the alc content tested was 18%. So, to say that some of these batches hit 20%, that's not a stretch in my opinion.

Yet another proof that the alcohol content is near 20%, doing some research, it appears that a 20% ethanol liquid boils at 86C, or 186.8 degrees F. This is when it came to a full boil.

And this is after @ half was gone including all the alcohol... Right on the money.

So, this is just to say that your results, Marcus, are not typical. I wish you luck in your next attempts.

I am at the 11 day mark. Airlock activity is down to a gurgle every 10 minutes. Should I go ahead and leave this for the 21 days or should I harvest? Does this taste better with the dissolved solids in it or is it better to let all solids settle out to get a clear liquid?

I am at the 11 day mark. Airlock activity is down to a gurgle every 10 minutes. Should I go ahead and leave this for the 21 days or should I harvest? Does this taste better with the dissolved solids in it or is it better to let all solids settle out to get a clear liquid?
I'd let it sit. Some like the solids, some don't; go with whichever you like best.

something is wrong obviously . Odd . It fermented out right and dropped like it should but came out very weak .
Not giving up yet . Maybe the yeast I bought was real old and just did not get the job done .
the next batch should be different .

I've always just let mine go 28 days. I think there's still some starch converting going on, even if the yeast have stopped. That being said, it probably isn't much, but I sure wouldn't cap any bottles tight after 21 days if you don't sterilize the yeast.

As said, some like it better with the solids stirred in, some like me don't and prefer it clear. After yours is done, put it in the fridge for a day or so. It settles out pretty quick. Take a drink off the top, then stir the solids back up in it and try it. See how you prefer it.

I use a long glass straw then crack open the jar, stick it to the bottom, thumb on then a quick taste. It should be sweet as hell. I've dumped 2 batches that were sour after a week (out of 31). No need to let it go longer hoping it will get better.

I just wanted to also point out that this last batch that I tested that came out at 18% alc. is one of them I've added additional water to. I used 10 lbs sweet rice, 1 lb RYR, 10 yeast balls, and added 14 lbs of water after the rice was all cooked and in the bucket.

So those of you that think this is going to water down your wine... no fears. It just makes it to where the yeast is able to eat more of the available sugars converted from the starch. I truly believe that higher temps have more to do with sour batches than additional water.

With a FG of .088, it would seem the wine would be so dry that there was no sweetness left in it at all, but I would honestly still say there's enough left to call this a semi-sweet and not a dry wine at all. With no water added, this stuff was just way too sweet for my tastes. This has turned out to be the best tasting batch for me yet.

Going to take a wild guess and suggest that patience is not one of your strong points? lol. No airlock activity doesn't mean there's not still a lot going on in there. That being said, taste it. If you like it, harvest it.

You might get another batch started soon though so you can have a better chance at one going the length of time suggested while you sip on the other.

LOL...I was thinking the same thing. But, I can't say that I didn't do the same thing on my first batch.

Steve: my advice is to let it go unless you can open the container and be sure it won't get contaminated.

Either way, it's cheap and knowing that it only takes 21- 28 days you can quickly get another batch going. Start a few batches and do some testing to see what you like and prefer.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

How much much water and yeast balls should I use for 5 cups of rice (32oz)( 2pounds).

Here is my first effort. Bottled tonight and tasted tonight. Sweet, sharp and very warming after taste. I like this, not for a session perhaps but nice for a small glass maybe before bedtime!

I will harvest my batch of sushi rice tomorrow night and will report then.

Sorry for the Dropbox link, I can't get my iPad to upload photos tonight!

Clem

How much much water and yeast balls should I use for 5 cups of rice (32oz)( 2pounds).

For 5 cups of rice, my preference is to cook with 1.25-1.50 cups of water for every cup of rice. You'll probably be fine with 2 crushed yeast balls. That's my preference.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lmxe9lnvqs0qk6/IMG-20140121-WA0000.jpg

Here is my first effort. Bottled tonight and tasted tonight. Sweet, sharp and very warming after taste. I like this, not for a session perhaps but nice for a small glass maybe before bedtime!

I will harvest my batch of sushi rice tomorrow night and will report then.

Sorry for the Dropbox link, I can't get my iPad to upload photos tonight!

Clem

Clem, I can't see the picture but I'm glad you like it. I'm with you on the sessioning of this stuff. It can be strong and hit you hard. Like I've said, I can't see the picture but if you bottled this stuff, either keep it cold or stabilize it quickly. Even though you harvest, it will keep fermenting if there's sugar left and bad things will happen.

LOL...I was thinking the same thing. But, I can't say that I didn't do the same thing on my first batch.

Steve: my advice is to let it go unless you can open the container and be sure it won't get contaminated.

Either way, it's cheap and knowing that it only takes 21- 28 days you can quickly get another batch going. Start a few batches and do some testing to see what you like and prefer.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

I could do it and keep out contamination but what about oxidation

That's supposed to be a question but my question mark button doesn't work

I'm going to quit calling this rice wine and start calling it rice liquor. When I tell somebody this is rice wine they immediately say, "Oh Yeah. I know what Saki is."

Here is my first 1 gallon batch. I used 5 cups of jasmine rice. 7.5 cups water. 4 yeast balls. It turned out to almost completely fill the 1 gallon mason jar. Jeez. But I trust everything will work out. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390350095.540435.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390350103.856516.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390350113.573232.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390350122.240495.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390350130.406366.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390350139.556493.jpg

I took a medicine dropper and sucked about .5 ounce out of the bucket. OH MY! That stuff is weird! Kind of good but kind of not good. I don't know if I like it.
Kind of reminds me of champagne. Quite a burn going down. Kind of good though. I might bottle tomorrow. Swear I want to try some more. Did I mention that stuff is weird but also kind of goooood
:):(:ban::rockin::tank::confused:

trying to describe the taste to the wife. What I came up with was a mixture of champagne, with a slight taste of rice, coffee creamer, and Everclear. but in a good way, sort of. Almost might be better to drink this as shots. Or maybe mixed with juice like many of you have mentioned

trying to describe the taste to the wife. What I came up with was a mixture of champagne, with a slight taste of rice, coffee creamer, and Everclear. but in a good way, sort of. Almost might be better to drink this as shots. Or maybe mixed with juice like many of you have mentioned

Do also make a batch and wait 21-28 days. Wait for it.... :mug:

It's quite different at 3 days, 11 days, and 21 days. Not much difference between 28 days and 35, though. And just like beer, the yeast you use makes a huge difference... along with the rice type, fermentation temps, rice cooking, aging, adjuncts, etc....

Here is a picture uploaded from my mobile! Hard hitting stuff! 2 large shot glasses of the wine gave me a real buzz last night!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Home Brew mobile app

1390386654316.jpg

I have read most of this very long thread over several weeks, but not everything. I hadn't read of anyone having the same initial results I'm seeing.

Two days ago I started a typical batch using 5 cups sweet rice, 1:1.1 water and 4 of the bigger yeast balls.

I had read that you don't get expansion of the mass during the process, but instead get shrinkage.

So I filled my jars 7/8 full and used the common cheesecloth under the screw lid cap method.

The one thing that I did different was to add two tablespoons of sugar to the ground yeast ball mixture before adding it o the cooled rice. This was recommended by a person who's family have made rice wine for several generations.

The sugar really kicked off the yeast and created enough CO2 in 24 hours to swell the mass to the top and caused some liquid to to wick out through the cheesecloth.

At 32 hours it was down a 1/4" below the lid and I suspect it's going to continue to shrink now that the sugar is converted and the rice is being converted to less and less sugar.

After 48 hours I now show the bottom 1/3 is pure liquid and the top 2/3 of floating mass.

This seems unusual. I suspect it was caused by the early activity of the yeast acting on the added sugar and the solution being drawn out of the rice by the alcohol content produced.

I haven't touched the bottles yet and will leave everything alone for a while.

The smell seems correct, a mild sweet yeasty smell like you would get with wine.

I'm not worried, just find it odd to have that much liquid in the bottom so soon. It may in fact be a good thing.

Just a heads up for those that consider adding sugar or flour to their batches.

Because I put rice in then yeast, then rice then yeast, rice then yeast dot dot dot and compacted the whole thing, will it mess up the fermenting process?

I cooked 16 cups of rice on my first batch. I only got 48 ounces of liquid. I think I didn't get the rice fully cooked. It looks like only about the outer half of each rice grain was consumed. The rest of the grain is rock hard. I started another batch of 5 cups at 1:1.5 and a batch of 5 cups at 1:2.25. They are both in a room at 60degF. I also cooked this rice 10 minutes longer than my first batch. I followed rice stove top cooking directions I found online for cooking times.

Back