Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked my rice and it has done nothing that I can see after about 18 hours in 72 degrees . I just put it in a closet with a light bulb on . waiting to see if the temp gets any higher in there . I used 4 yeast balls so it should be good . If not I am going to add more and stir and try to find a hotter place to set it which is kind of hard when it is 40 at night and 67 in day .

Two 1 1/2 cup batches currently around day 10 - one with local yeast balls, one with ARL. The ARL batch has produced decent liquid volume so far and is floating a bit, while the local yeast batch is still on the bottom of the jar but has liquid nearly to the top of the rice. There's a lot of mold on top, though - a thin blanket of white mold all over, four or five thick colonies of the black stuff about 1-2 cm across, and one or two 1 cm spots of green mold (uh-oh?).

I may have acted foolishly yesterday when I shook that one up a bit - the idea was to try and get some alcohol on the mold and see if that would kill it, but as of last night it just mixed a bunch of spores up in the liquid. Even if the white and black molds are both alright, I'm afraid the green spots might make it a dumper.
I had that green mold in a batch a while back. More of a gray green in mine though. It didn't seem to give the wine an off flavor, but it did give a musky tinge to the wine I didn't really care for.
Does anyone know if cooler temps cause a flavor change? i thought i read in this thread somewhere that the cooler temps are use for the rice desert. ive got mine in a home i bought and is unheated the temps have always been below 62 deg on the temp gauge and the other day it got down to 54 deg took the top off and it was still bubbling. kinda wondering if the lower temps will produce a cleaner smoother wine.
Based on how Japanese Sake is made, I would venture the opinion that you will have a nicely clean flavored rice wine with a minimum of "tangy" flavors. The lower temps seem to discourage the growth of acetobacter that is common in rice wine.

However, you may have a problem in that the degree of conversion of the rice starch could be low. So, your wine may be difficult to extract from the unconverted starch.
bottled my first batch...
Thanks for reporting back on the pressure cooker approach.

Just checked my rice and it has done nothing that I can see after about 18 hours in 72 degrees . I just put it in a closet with a light bulb on . waiting to see if the temp gets any higher in there . I used 4 yeast balls so it should be good . If not I am going to add more and stir and try to find a hotter place to set it which is kind of hard when it is 40 at night and 67 in day .
The top of my fridge works well. It's warmer then most of the rest of the house. Both because of the height, and because of the heat the compressor in the fridge throws out.

Here's a shot of the jar this morning. I have two small black colonies and a consistent white fuzz carpet. Smells amazing!

image-2976268072.jpg

WOW!!! I was looking for a hiding place so I can stash a batch of JAOM and found this. It's an experiment I did about 5 months ago with 2 quarts of white rice from the Chinese restaurant. Yes, you read that right. I ordered General Tsou's chicken and asked for an extra 2 quarts.

I tried this before and it didn't turn out good at all BUT, this has been sitting for 5 months and untouched since I started it.

It has about 5tbls of table sugar, 1/2 cup of RYR and 3 crushed yeast balls.

The appearance is not great but I took the lid off and it smells amazing! Very fruity, extremely alcoholic and no mold or infection signs at all.

It's too late tonight but I plan on harvesting tomorrow. I've been brewing and experimenting for many, many years and, for the first time, I'm actually very nervous or hesitant to try this. This is uncharted territory for me with rice wine and I'm not sure what to expect. Anybody have a good reason as to why I shouldn't?

ForumRunner_20131022_010252.jpg

ForumRunner_20131022_010356.jpg

Put my rice jar in the utility room with a small heater going and kept it about 80 degrees for a day . It is now starting to do something . Must have just not been getting warm enough

WOW!!! I was looking for a hiding place so I can stash a batch of JAOM and found this. It's an experiment I did about 5 months ago with 2 quarts of white rice from the Chinese restaurant. Yes, you read that right. I ordered General Tsou's chicken and asked for an extra 2 quarts.

I tried this before and it didn't turn out good at all BUT, this has been sitting for 5 months and untouched since I started it.

It has about 5tbls of table sugar, 1/2 cup of RYR and 3 crushed yeast balls.

The appearance is not great but I took the lid off and it smells amazing! Very fruity, extremely alcoholic and no mold or infection signs at all.

It's too late tonight but I plan on harvesting tomorrow. I've been brewing and experimenting for many, many years and, for the first time, I'm actually very nervous or hesitant to try this. This is uncharted territory for me with rice wine and I'm not sure what to expect. Anybody have a good reason as to why I shouldn't?

I think you absolutely should. Looks awesome to me.

I harvested it tonight. It was clear liquid in the jar but came out to be a pink/red color. Looks like a cranberry Orange juice mix type of color.

I took a small sample for tasting. About the size of a shot. It's extremely alcoholic, has a fruity flavor and burns like hell aftertaste. The consistency is thick. Very thick. Almost like a fruit smoothie or yogurt.

I put it an a bottle and tossed it in the fridge.

Overall, I'd say it's not very good and I predict that it will go unused for a long while.

Good news is, I've been producing batches of ARL with great success. I have a rotation schedule so that I harvest a new batch every Sunday.

I enjoy the traditional "as is" product and treat myself to all kinds of fruit flavor additions at will. I have a collection of Monins including Blueberry, Raspberry and Mango. These are what the restaurants use when you order flavored iced tea and they work great with the rice wine!

I harvested it tonight. It was clear liquid in the jar but came out to be a pink/red color. Looks like a cranberry Orange juice mix type of color.

I took a small sample for tasting. About the size of a shot. It's extremely alcoholic, has a fruity flavor and burns like hell aftertaste. The consistency is thick. Very thick. Almost like a fruit smoothie or yogurt.

I put it an a bottle and tossed it in the fridge.

Overall, I'd say it's not very good and I predict that it will go unused for a long while.

It'll probably get better with age and the suspended solids will almost certainly settle out over time as it chills. It's up to you whether you want to keep those solids or if you want to pour the liquid off into another container and toss the solids. :mug:

I normally keep the solids and shake them back into suspension but, in this case, I just may separate them. The current result is a very "chalky" consistency and I'm looking for a way to thin it out.

I normally keep the solids and shake them back into suspension but, in this case, I just may separate them. The current result is a very "chalky" consistency and I'm looking for a way to thin it out.
Let it slowly percolate through a coffee filter. If it's as thick as I'm thinking is likely, then you will want to add small amounts and change the filter a few times. They tend to clog. It takes several hours to flow through one of those filters.

Oh, duh! :smack: If I'd looked at who posted that I wouldn't have bothered saying that.. after all you're the king of this stuff! :rockin: Boy do I feel silly! :D

Haha! No worries...It's not often I make this and get stumped but "King"? Thanks for the kind words!

How's it going with your batches? You've got enough Red Yeast Rice for many many gallons! I bet you're making some mighty fine stuff yourself.

Have you tried the Angel Rice Leaven?

about 17 days in and there is a clear part of the liquid at the very top about a bottle caps deep above the rice. its odd because the rest is red from the ryr. i wonder if its still converting to sugar but the cold temps are preventing any more fermenting. its now down to 49 degrees im thinking im gonna move it to the cellar where its 59 degrees and see what happens. its also much sweeter smelling then last update this makes me think the yeast is taking a nap.

Haha! No worries...It's not often I make this and get stumped but "King"? Thanks for the kind words!

How's it going with your batches? You've got enough Red Yeast Rice for many many gallons! I bet you're making some mighty fine stuff yourself.

Have you tried the Angel Rice Leaven?

Yeah, I made one batch so far. I mixed ARL, RYR and a package of yeast balls for one batch. Made a pretty smooth red wine. Definitely better once the solids settled out. I put a partial bottle with a flip-top aside and left it in the fridge for a couple months. Just tasted it recently. Pretty smooth, but man it's potent stuff! :drunk:

I let my buddies at work taste, and one of my co-workers has been begging me to make more. Just not finding the time, really. :off: Been busy with all my other hobbies, including brewing a Rhubarb Wit. The masses seemed to like it, but it didn't get a very good rating in the competition I entered it into. Oh, well. :) :off:

I just tasted this stuff . Oh my god so horrible . sour , spoiled flavor . had to spit it out . Well maybe in another week it will taste less bad . Could be the 4 yeast balls I used but then I used a whole bag , 5 pounds I think of rice .
I think I will make a small batch and use a part of a ball and see how that goes

I made some new test batches yesterday. Went Ace and bought 6 half gallon mason jars . I soaked the rice for an hour or more in some cases and then cooked it in the rice cooker .

#1 : 2 cups sweet rice cooked with normal amount of water for eating . mixed it in a bowl with about about 3/8 of a re hydrated yeast ball and 2 TBS of sugar and corn starch mixture which was 2 sugar 1 corn starch . 1/8th TSP yeast nutrient.

#2 : 2 cups sweet rice with more water , 3/8 re hydrated yeast ball, 3 TBS sugar / corn starch and no yeast nutrient .

#3 : Sushi rice . No yeast nutrient . 3/8 yeast ball re hydrated . normal water . 2 TBS sugar/corn starch .

#4 : Part of #2 since I came out with too much rice as I think this stuff fluffs up big . Added in a half a dry yeast ball and some more rice to fill jar .

all jars filled about half way . Put them in oven with a light bulb . Trying to keep it at about 90 degrees but it is going form 80 to 100 as I try to find that sweet spot with the door being cracked to let out some heat .

My big 2 gallon jar is coming along . sitting in utility room about 80 degrees .

Still have not figured out if these jars can be kept in a room with light . i have noticed recipes that say after 24 hours wrapped in towel at 80 to 90 degrees you move it to a warm location like the kitchen counter . but do you keep it wrapped in a towel or can you let the light get to it ?

...Still have not figured out if these jars can be kept in a room with light . i have noticed recipes that say after 24 hours wrapped in towel at 80 to 90 degrees you move it to a warm location like the kitchen counter . but do you keep it wrapped in a towel or can you let the light get to it ?
I keep mine wrapped the whole time. Not sure if that's necessary once liquid has covered the rice. In the early stages it helps keep infections from growing. A fair number of those infections are actually types of algae, and require light to grow.

Oh, I forgot to post it last night. Here's the 2 week photo for the water additions experiment. Really nothing new to observe. Batch 2 is still the only one that smells like lactic acid. Here's the batch contents:

1. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. (Control)
2. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. 179 grams water. (50%)
3. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. 358 grams water. (100%)
4. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. 465 grams water. (130%)
5. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. 537 grams water. (150%)
6. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. 4.5 tsp crushed RYR. (RYR Control)
7. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. 179 grams water. 4.5 tsp crushed RYR. (50%)
8. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. 358 grams water. 4.5 tsp crushed RYR. (100%)
9. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. 465 grams water. 4.5 tsp crushed RYR. (130%)
10. 358 grams cooked sweet rice. 0.5 grams ARL. 537 grams water. 4.5 tsp crushed RYR. (150%)

DSC_0145.jpg

Happened to me a while back...I got rid of the rust (or most of it) with some steel wool and haven't had a problem. The layer of cheesecloth between the lid and product seems to prevent anything bad from happening. At least that's the case for me.

Two weeks ago I made 10 cups of basmati rice, put it into my mr beer fermenter and topped off with water until it was about 90% of the way up the rice. Added 24 Vietnamese yeast balls, fermented at 60-70F

Filtered it through a nylon bag and bottled in beer bottles (13) Refrigerated for a day.

DELICIOUS! Slightly tart, dry, extremely cloudy (mixed the top and bottom parts when I serve), slightly nutty after taste and scent, silky mouthfeel - a hint of carbonation.

I've been brewing beer for two years so I had all of the equipment and thought I'd give this a shot. Turned out exactly how I like my ciders, only stronger and about 1.5 months sooner!

Would brew again :)

Total failure. All 6 test batches are completely sour. Everything smelled so good, I don't get it. I sanitized everything thoroughly. Never had weird mold. Any ideas what could have gone wrong?

This says wine is aged for 10 years and is stored at room temp out of light . http://chinesefood.about.com/od/glossary/g/ricewine.htm

Now on to my question . What do I use to flavor this stuff ? this is thick and slimy and tastes not too good . would like some kind of apricot , peach blueberry ... But not sure what exactly to use .
Practically any fruit juice should work well. Most seem to prefer something that's more tart then sweet. Pomegranate etc...
Total failure. All 6 test batches are completely sour. Everything smelled so good, I don't get it. I sanitized everything thoroughly. Never had weird mold. Any ideas what could have gone wrong?
Could you refresh our memories on what was in the batches? There are a lot of posts in this thread and I've forgotten.

One just jasmine. One just sticky. The others were different combos of the two. Chinese yeast balls crushed in all of them. Rice was soaked and rinsed.

One just jasmine. One just sticky. The others were different combos of the two. Chinese yeast balls crushed in all of them. Rice was soaked and rinsed.
How was the rice cooked? I mean with how much water after the rice was soaked. Steamed or boiled?

1 cup rice to 1 cup water. Brought to a boil, turned to simmer till rice was done.
Ok, so you don't have a rice type or excessive water problem... Hmm. What was the temperature like do you think? Do you know what brand of yeast balls you use?

Acetobacter seems to be endemic to the rice yeast balls themselves. So, it's more a matter of controlling how much acetic acid is produced in the process rather then trying to keep the acetobacter out.

My best guess is that the yeast you're using lends a sour flavor. Unless you got some contaminant in each batch that didn't show up as fungus, I'm not really sure what else it could have been.

How sour are we talking? Lemon? Early-season tangerine? Maybe you could salvage it by mixing with a sweet fruit juice that will offset some of the tang.

Ok, so you don't have a rice type or excessive water problem... Hmm. What was the temperature like do you think? Do you know what brand of yeast balls you use?

Acetobacter seems to be endemic to the rice yeast balls themselves. So, it's more a matter of controlling how much acetic acid is produced in the process rather then trying to keep the acetobacter out.

I added the yeast when the rice was just barely warm. Left it in a closet that stays between 67-70 for 3 weeks. The odd thing is it happened to all the different batches. Could it be the water? Here is a link to my cities water info....
http://www.ci.columbia-heights.mn.us/index.aspx?NID=261
ForumRunner_20131030_193050.jpg

My best guess is that the yeast you're using lends a sour flavor. Unless you got some contaminant in each batch that didn't show up as fungus, I'm not really sure what else it could have been.

How sour are we talking? Lemon? Early-season tangerine? Maybe you could salvage it by mixing with a sweet fruit juice that will offset some of the tang.

It is definitely lemon sour. I tried that but its just not working. :(

I added the yeast when the rice was just barely warm. Left it in a closet that stays between 67-70 for 3 weeks. The odd thing is it happened to all the different batches. Could it be the water? Here is a link to my cities water info....
http://www.ci.columbia-heights.mn.us/index.aspx?NID=261
View attachment 157138
Huh, I'm not sure. I'm afraid I don't know enough about water chemistry to tell you. Temps aren't unusual. I doubt pitching when the rice was still a little warm would have caused that either. Those are the same yeast balls I've used. They do produce a somewhat tangy wine, but it shouldn't be lemony.

I'm not sure what is causing you the issue. I would recommend trying a batch with Angel Rice Leaven. It's produced the cleanest flavored rice wine for me so far.

For mixing, maybe try some apple juice? Usually those taste fairly good even with relatively high acid contents.

It is definitely lemon sour. I tried that but its just not working. :(

Use it in smaller portions for sour mixed drinks?

Cook it into delicious curries, soups, and desserts?

Bottle it and forget about it for a year, only to rediscover it and taste how incredible it has become?

Those poor yeasties put in some serious overtime to give you alcohol. It would be discourteous to let their work be for naught. :mug:

Huh, I'm not sure. I'm afraid I don't know enough about water chemistry to tell you. Temps aren't unusual. I doubt pitching when the rice was still a little warm would have caused that either. Those are the same yeast balls I've used. They do produce a somewhat tangy wine, but it shouldn't be lemony.

I'm not sure what is causing you the issue. I would recommend trying a batch with Angel Rice Leaven. It's produced the cleanest flavored rice wine for me so far.

For mixing, maybe try some apple juice? Usually those taste fairly good even with relatively high acid contents.

Thanks for helping. Ill try the angel rice leaven. Ill also try the apple juice. Thanks again.

Use it in smaller portions for sour mixed drinks?

Cook it into delicious curries, soups, and desserts?

Bottle it and forget about it for a year, only to rediscover it and taste how incredible it has become?

Those poor yeasties put in some serious overtime to give you alcohol. It would be discourteous to let their work be for naught. :mug:

Great ideas. Ill try all three since I have three big bottles!

I've had sour batches for a few reasons such as too much water, etc. But it seems your proportions are right on. How much rice and how many yeast balls? Maybe it's a case of too much or not enough yeast?

The Angel Rice Leaven is good and I haven't had a sour batch yet (crossing my fingers) but I tend to over pitch the stuff.

Happened to me a while back...I got rid of the rust (or most of it) with some steel wool and haven't had a problem. The layer of cheesecloth between the lid and product seems to prevent anything bad from happening. At least that's the case for me.
Cleaned my lid well rust came back o well gonna give go using an old strainer bag. Added some brown sugar to this back its fermenting nicely

Back