Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried a drink from both the Sushi rice and the Jasmine rice wines I made and flavored yesterday since they had a chance to chill a bit. I definitely prefer the taste of the Jasmine. It doesn't have as strong of a smell to it and seems a bit mellower. The Sushi rice has a more pungent odor to it that I don't find very pleasing.

As in a hot odor?

It would be interesting if you did 3 batches, cooked exactly the same and see if there are any tasting notes.

I'm sure it would. Wanna provide me with the containers? ;)

I discovered that the "Happy Panda" brand are NOT what I used last time. They look similar in packaging, but aren't the same.

As in a hot odor?
Kind of hard to describe as I'm new to all this but as my son put it, "It smells like dirty socks":D
It doesn't taste bad really, just the smell that hits before you take a drink isn't very pleasant. The Jasmine rice had a similar order but very much subdued. After sitting in the fridge overnight it mostly disappeared and tastes better IMO.

I have 1 more Jasmine rice currently fermenting with a different brand of yeast ball than I used last time. I'll compare that to these batches and see how they compare in a couple of weeks.

I wish I had someone else close to me making this stuff to compare how they smell and taste.

Darn!, I have two huge asian markets nearby, and I know RYR must be there somewhere. My attempts at asking have failed due to my language limitations...I can barely describe what I am looking for in English.

i went to the same asian store at different times the first time i asked the lady behind the checkout no luck the second time was the stock woman and she took me straight to them at the checkout counter. i just figured that the stock woman helps people find stuff all day and put it there anyway.

Kind of hard to describe as I'm new to all this but as my son put it, "It smells like dirty socks":D
It doesn't taste bad really, just the smell that hits before you take a drink isn't very pleasant. The Jasmine rice had a similar order but very much subdued. After sitting in the fridge overnight it mostly disappeared and tastes better IMO.

I have 1 more Jasmine rice currently fermenting with a different brand of yeast ball than I used last time. I'll compare that to these batches and see how they compare in a couple of weeks.

I wish I had someone else close to me making this stuff to compare how they smell and taste.
I think I described that same aroma as "mushroomy". Sort of an earthy+yeasty smell, but not really in a good way. That happened to every batch I made with regular long grain rice.

Sweetening helped with that a lot. So did aging for a couple months.

I discovered that the "Happy Panda" brand are NOT what I used last time. They look similar in packaging, but aren't the same.
Pick up some mason jars. They make good containers for small test batches.

I think I described that same aroma as "mushroomy". Sort of an earthy+yeasty smell, but not really in a good way. That happened to every batch I made with regular long grain rice.

Sweetening helped with that a lot. So did aging for a couple months.

I was thinking this was possibly lacto? Is that possible?

Only a little over a week in and we already have liquidification. Im going to give it two more weeks, but I dont forsee there being much "pulpy" matter at all. This is really cool! If I like the finished product I think I am going to take one of the posters here up on his offer of lots of yeast balls and make a giant crock of it.

Oh dear... I forgot when I started my last batch 0.o
I suppose I'll just have to do daily taste tests until it's just right ^_^

Big Batch... went down 6/1 easy to remember... 7 lbs dry rice, after cooking 3 gallons by volume. 7 crushed yeast balls, 1 lb red yeast rice. Cooled overnight, mixed by hand in a 6.75 gallon bucket, now covered and airlocked.

20130602_131404.jpg

20130602_132414.jpg

20130602_132439.jpg

If this is to me, then YES! I got it today, thanks for the extras! Can't wait to try the Angel Levin Yeast. Great deal.

LOL I forgot I posted this... I think I was asking Newsman (I can't remember now) but you're welcome and I'm glad you're happy with it.

Please post pics of the Red Yeast Rice batch as well as the ARL batch. Thanks again!

I was thinking this was possibly lacto? Is that possible?
Certainly possible. Very little would surprise me in terms of infections with rice wine. It seems to be a process where it is very difficult to keep them out. That's partly the reason I like it. Less worry about sanitation, and more about getting the fermentation running as soon as possible, to limit the effect of whatever infection you ended up with.

Certainly possible. Very little would surprise me in terms of infections with rice wine. It seems to be a process where it is very difficult to keep them out. That's partly the reason I like it. Less worry about sanitation, and more about getting the fermentation running as soon as possible, to limit the effect of whatever infection you ended up with.

I agree. If I had to put my finger on the first whiff I took of this stuff, I would say it smelled like slightly sour yogurt. I think that is why I associate it with lacto. Thankfully the smell is nothing like the taste and everybody says a similar statement when they first try it.

Got my yeast balls and Thai glutinous rice delivered today. Oh boy!

In the mountains here, there are few bacteria; bread dries up into dust before it gets a mold :)

Hmmmm... Mine smells awesome...
I have another 1 gallon jar currently fermenting in the basement closet with Jasmine rice. I'll give that a sniff when I get home to compare to the two batches I recently harvested. I wonder if it could be the temps it was subjected too? We had a few days where it got over 80 degrees in my basement.

LOL I forgot I posted this... I think I was asking Newsman (I can't remember now) but you're welcome and I'm glad you're happy with it.

Please post pics of the Red Yeast Rice batch as well as the ARL batch. Thanks again!

Sorry... yes, I got it. :D I appreciate the nice bag. :D It'll make straining the alcohol out of the rice much easier. :D

Right now I'm into week two of a ferment, and when I get done with that, I'll make some more using. I also plan on trying to "roll my own" RYR so I don't have to keep buying it. :D

Sorry for the poor quality picture. Here is my first RYR. 5c Jasmine 1c RYR 5 yeast balls. The sheep is there because all the gnomes are guarding other fermenters.

Looking good. Thank God for the brave sheep! I don't want to think about all of the lost batches if not for their dedication to protecting my brew...

Sorry... yes, I got it. :D I appreciate the nice bag. :D It'll make straining the alcohol out of the rice much easier. :D

Right now I'm into week two of a ferment, and when I get done with that, I'll make some more using. I also plan on trying to "roll my own" RYR so I don't have to keep buying it. :D

Good deal. I'm glad you're happy with the transaction. Thanks again for ordering from me. Please post updates, results and pictures.

I reuse jars from costco that had mango salsa in them for my small batch experiments - fit 2c rice each. I'm interested if u get similar results for the chinese vs vietnamese yeast balls... i was surprised by how much difference.

I use one gallon pickle and olive jars snagged 5 from my folks garage and put them to good use

Able to keep a rotation going pretty easy

Not sure if anybody else has Publix grocery stores near them, but they have 20lb bags of jasmine rice on sale for $15. Best price I have found.

K, have two batches going, in 1/2 gal mason jars, they were out of 1gal.

This is using Thai glutinous rice, and after being steamed, it is the consistency of rubber. Not grains of rice, a glob of rubber. So I mixed this rubber with rice/yeast balls into two jars.

My main worry is that the rice/yeast balls say preserved with Sulphites.

Hmmm... if the yeast balls themselves are processed with a preservative, and those yeast balls are intended by design to ferment sugars... I would think that the producers of the yeast balls know how use sulphites without inhibiting fermentation... or is my logic faulty?

Hmmm... if the yeast balls themselves are processed with a preservative, and those yeast balls are intended by design to ferment sugars... I would think that the producers of the yeast balls know how use sulphites without inhibiting fermentation... or is my logic faulty?

Sounds logical, but are these yeast balls designed to ferment sugars, or is it a happy unintended effect? I was told (note the conversation was difficult for me and the clerk) that they were used as a snack. I have not tried to eat one out of the bag, and I can't read the packaging. So it could be that the clerk and I were on different pages.

jak1010 said:
stranger: Excuse me, you have white stuff in your teeth.

Me: Oh that? That's my yeast balls. You want some of my tasty yeast balls? The clerk likes'em

stranger: Security!!!!!!

K, have two batches going, in 1/2 gal mason jars, they were out of 1gal.

This is using Thai glutinous rice, and after being steamed, it is the consistency of rubber. Not grains of rice, a glob of rubber. So I mixed this rubber with rice/yeast balls into two jars.

Ok, I stopped worrying. after only 1 1/2 days, there is about a 3/4 inch of liquid, and it smells very sweet and alcoholic; I want to drink it now :D

Started another batch, 4 cups of rice, 4 yeast balls, 2 1/2 gallon jars. I'm just using paper towels in the lid to let the CO2 escape.

I'm afraid my next move is to order 200 lbs of rice :rockin: and a lot more balls.

There is a sweet rice pudding like dessert that is made with rice yeast balls. It's basically the same process, but with a lower rice yeast ball to rice proportion I think. And you would eat it after only two or three days instead of three weeks. The idea being to produce sugar, rather then alcohol. That's probably what the clerk meant as a snack.

Do you have a photo of your product you can provide? There is a snack food available 'rice balls' and they are preserved for packaging with sulphites. Two different items. The ones we ferment with are like chalky, white golf balls, but smaller, at 10gm each; unless you find the little bitty ones, which I need to weigh.

Do you have a photo of your product you can provide? There is a snack food available 'rice balls' and they are preserved for packaging with sulphites. Two different items. The ones we ferment with are like chalky, white golf balls, but smaller, at 10gm each; unless you find the little bitty ones, which I need to weigh.

I'll see about uploading a photo. The packaging is all Chinese, but the English bit says "Dried Yeast". Ingredients are: Rice flour, water, yeast. And they are working very well.

Back