Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I re-visited my finished rice wines. The clear sweet rice wine reminds me more of a normal saki. Not bad tasting, but I have not had many to make an informed decision as to what type I might like.

The clear Jasmine rice wine is delicious, slightly sweet and fruity. This is just as good clear or mixed with the solids. IMO

Finished Rice WInes.jpg
This was after 24 hours in the fridge.

Now to wait until the next two batches finish. Same rice but with the blue pack of VN yeast balls.

So I discovered that steaming my rice created another issue. There was not enough moisture in the rice to make it sticky. My last two batches finished, and are very good, but I only got about 16 ounces of wine. Unlike the first batches where I got at least a 750ml bottle from each 4 cups dry rice, after 30 days.

I have started four other batches now that I have RYR and ARL. I went 5 cups dry Jasmine rice, soaked overnight (12 hours), steamed for an hour, cooled for an hour. I used 1/4 cup RYR and ground that with the yeast balls and ARL. I noticed that is seemed very dry, even though the rice was steamed perfectly. So I added a 16 ounce bottle of spring water to each batch.

So here is the rundown on each batch .....
#1 - 5 cups Jasmine rice, 1/4 cup RYR, 1/2 pack ARL, two Hang Tai yeast balls, 16 oz. water.
#2 - 5 cups Jasmine rice, 1/4 cup RYR, 1/2 pack ARL, two Hang Hing yeast balls, 16 oz. water.
#3 - 5 cups Jasmine rice, 1/4 cup RYR, 1/2 pack ARL, two large VN yeast balls, 16 oz. water.
#4 - 5 cups Jasmine rice. 1/4 cup RYR, 1/2 pack ARL, 10 small VN yeast balls (blue pack), 16 oz. water.

I just checked them yesterday. They have a nice liquid level and a thin layer of white mold all across the top of the rice. Two more weeks to go.

Living in China and being married to a Chinese woman, I cook rice several times a week. To spice things up, I often toss in smallish amounts of other things - quinoa, buckwheat, millet, that sort of thing. In fact, diced sweet potato (or purple sweet potato) is another common rice addition I've encountered a lot, though not done myself.

It makes me think. How well would it work to make a batch of this stuff with other grains mixed in? I've made several batches over the years, as well as the breakfast porridge version of 米酒, but I've never tried mixing in other grains. Judging by how much better a bit of millet and quinoa make a bowl of white rice or rice porridge, I'm wondering if they'd give the same kind of boost to a batch of rice wine.

A random thought to add before I finish: we recently got a bag of Thai jasmine rice and it requires about 30% more water than our usual rice to cook to the same softness. Things like that should probably be taken into account when making batches with various types of rice.

I just tried this recipe about 2 months ago. It turns out really bitter at first so you have to rack it a couple of times and let it clarify for a few weeks. Small batch yield for the crazy amount of rice it takes. You're right about the kick though. Mine turned out like rice liquor.

Bitter?
I'm generally getting 1 cup (cloudy) rice wine for each cup of uncooked rice. So, rice cooker batch with 8 cups of rice yields about 2L cloudy rice wine. What was your yield?
You can generally expect 15-19% alcohol, Elijah. Yours was higher?

Last batch I did with yeast balls came out smelling kinda bad (no weird mould on the rice or anything though)... it was like taking the yeast balls smell and amping it up. I don't remember previous yeast ball batches smelling like that, wound up tipping it down the drain and stinking up the kitchen for a good hour or so.

I finally bit the bullet and picked up a secondhand rice cooker for $20 today - too many issues with inconsistency cooking the sticky rice on the stovetop, and not fun to babysit.

I did 2 cups of Thai glutinous rice to 2.5 of water that I let it soak in for 4 hours, and then flicked the cooker on. The resulting rice wasn't bad (have definitely done worse on the stovetop!) but a little too soft and gelatinous to actually want to serve as proper sticky rice. Hoping it'll make good wine, if not... what are suggestions to adjust for next time? Less water, rinse first until water runs clearish, or a shorter soak? Definitely sold on the rice cooker for doing wine as far as ease and simplicity, and that's as a life-long advocate of doing the brown stuff on the stove.

Also, is the date on ARL packaging the manufactured on date, or best by date? I still had plenty from last year chilling in the back of my fridge, noticed it was dated January 2017.

Also, is the date on ARL packaging the manufactured on date, or best by date? I still had plenty from last year chilling in the back of my fridge, noticed it was dated January 2017.
Stuff is pretty much always dated by manufacture date here in China, though I'd have to see the package to tell you for sure.

I always soak my Jasmin rice overnight, then rinse till clear water come through. Steam, cool then mix powdered yeast bell in. Never had a bad batch yet. Finishes nice and sweet.
Side question: anybody else have it carbonate in the bottle? I've had 2 batches, that we're harvested at 29 days, carbonate. It was a somewhat pleasant surprise.

Stuff is pretty much always dated by manufacture date here in China, though I'd have to see the package to tell you for sure.

Ah, that's good to know. It's a standard ARL package, I bought it on eBay from China.

I always soak my Jasmin rice overnight, then rinse till clear water come through. Steam, cool then mix powdered yeast bell in. Never had a bad batch yet. Finishes nice and sweet.
Side question: anybody else have it carbonate in the bottle? I've had 2 batches, that we're harvested at 29 days, carbonate. It was a somewhat pleasant surprise.

I got a really nice pair of batches from Thai glutinous rice so I went out and bought a 25kg sack of it, so I'm sorta stuck with that for the near future!

I will try 4 hour soak + rinse on a batch and see how that goes.

Carbonating because it is still fermenting. You can try harvesting at 42 days instead, or enjoy the carbonation. Just be sure to store in a container that can handle the pressure build up.

Wholly! 150 pages on Rice wine.
Last year I was in China on business and visited my good friend. He brought me to his child's banquet where they basically sang (In Chinese of course) for their well dressed and proud parents. I was the only westerner, and almost no English among them. Each table of about 10 of us had 2 - one liter bottles of fine rice wine to drink straight. Not even any water, seriously, these people are hard core, but oh so much fun. One hell of an experience. Our table was the first to drink all of theirs and I am proud to say I kept up with the best of them. You can literately lite it on fire.
I'm going back in a couple weeks and hope to bring some more home.

Ah, baijiu... I don't believe most baijiu is actually made of rice, but other grains that vary by region and style. What we're making here is more like a sake - anywhere from about 8-20% depending on various factors, and not distilled. If you get a chance to try mijiu (rice wine) porridge for breakfast, that's closely related to what we're making, but that has more water, it's fermented for less time, and the alcohol is cooked off before eating. We're making that with less water and letting it ferment to completion, then separating the rice from the wine.

Traditional rice wine isn't really "wine" at all but this area is as close as I can figure to post this.

There are only a few threads on HBT talking about making rice wine but nothing that I am aware of that could be considered an easy walkthrough which is a shame because making rice wine is very different, fun to do, and rewarding. Its also pretty darn cheap...

It has been a few years since I have done it, but after a recent trip to the exotic foods grocer, I got a hankerin to do it again and thought a few people on here might enjoy it as well.

*Edit*: Process starts on next post but final product is on page 4 here
*Edit 2*: Arapolis has done a less Rice Wine, more Japanese sake here.
Interesting twist with the red rice yeast. I have never ever ever had to use any k-meta or anything else when making this. Almost all of your liquid will be alcohol. Rice wine is quite possibly the HIGHEST abv drink you can make without distilling and will be around 20% right out the gate. Chances of having something in there you don't want range from slim to... well zero :D

I am glad someone found some use in this thread!

Thankyou for sharing.
I have started a batch of rice wine since reading your posts and easily found the rice and yeast balls st a local chinese grocery. My wine has been fermenting for two weeks now and has lots of liquid.

I was wondering if a new batch could be started with a few tablespoons of rice from the first batch? Kind of like yogourt...

Looking forward to tasting my wine.

Thankyou for sharing.
I have started a batch of rice wine since reading your posts and easily found the rice and yeast balls st a local chinese grocery. My wine has been fermenting for two weeks now and has lots of liquid.

I was wondering if a new batch could be started with a few tablespoons of rice from the first batch? Kind of like yogourt...

I've tried reusing the leftover rice from a batch and it failed. Theoretically it should work since that's all those yeast balls are. I may not have used enough or perhaps drying it out first would allow crushing it which could distribute the yeast/mold around better. Dunno.

Thankyou for sharing.

I saw a writeup somewhere for how some local rice wineries do their rice wine and it called for a pretty large percentage of leftover rice from a previous batch - I want to say it was something like 20% of the total weight of rice in the batch. At that ratio, you might want to use at least half of the rice from your first batch for a second batch since it reduces to a fraction of the weight once you drain and squeeze out the wine, and you'll need a way to mix it pretty thoroughly into the fresh rice.

I finally was able to start my version of this after reading through the entire thread.

I used:
4 cups of sushi rice
3 crushed yeast balls
4 mason jars

I soaked rice for 3 hours then rinsed until the water ran clean. Then cooked the rice (about 15 minutes). Rice came out incredibly cement-like, was very hard to handle to layer it into the mason jars with the sprinkled yeast.

Secured cheesecloth over the top and closed each jar. Left the jars in a dark corner of the kitchen to start working.

We will see how it goes. I was not happy with the rice consistency. The water to rice ratio I used was pretty close to 1:1 and I didn't use a proper rice cooker just tossed the rice and water in a pot and kept it at a low boil with the top on (steaming?), a bit concerned about how cement-like the rice consistency was but it's a first shot so we will see. Either way I am excited to see what happens from here. Have a bunch of leftover rice and yeast balls so I imagine I'll take a couple more cracks at this in the near future.

Hi everyone. I read through this thread last week and it inspired me to make some rice wine.
I decontaminated a large jar and cooked the rice and did everything step by step like the original post, however there is a strong acetone smell coming from the jar now after day 4. The only thing that I can think hasn't been ideal has been the weather, I'm in China at the moment and it has been over 80 degrees for the last week.

Is this the reason for the smell?
Also, is it all wasted or can I somehow recover it? It is already producing wine at the bottom of the jar but the acetone smell is very strong.

Thanks and great thread by the way.

great stuff man ,,thx SOG for this and Sara your research is out standing. get that gal a lab heh heh

Hi everyone. I read through this thread last week and it inspired me to make some rice wine.
I decontaminated a large jar and cooked the rice and did everything step by step like the original post, however there is a strong acetone smell coming from the jar now after day 4. The only thing that I can think hasn't been ideal has been the weather, I'm in China at the moment and it has been over 80 degrees for the last week.

Is this the reason for the smell?
Also, is it all wasted or can I somehow recover it? It is already producing wine at the bottom of the jar but the acetone smell is very strong.

Thanks and great thread by the way.

Gump, acetone and other funky smells early in fermentation is not abnormal. Give it at least 4 weeks, better would be 6, before harvesting and tasting/clarifying. Be patient, it turns out more often than not, if you just wait it out.

I have made two batches which demonstrate how important moisture content is.

Both batches had 2 Shanghai yeast balls per 750 mL jasmine rice pitched at 30°C. I started with rice cooked in a rice cooker with the "knuckle rule" of water content.

I made the first batch without any extra water and bottled after 3 weeks. It was very sweet, there was no carbonation or reduced sweetness between bottling and pasteurisation, and it stung when I spilled a bit on a cut on my hand. This was definitely around 20% ABV and "maxed out" the yeast. There was only a thin layer of clear liquid after letting the sediment settle for weeks.

I made the second batch with more water, adding enough to make stirring easy when pitching the yeast then another ~150 mL to each 1 L jar a week into fermentation. I let it go for 4 weeks as ambient temperature was a bit colder. This one had the sediment separate out easier, tastes much less sweet, and has flavours resembling white grape wine. It doesn't taste quite as alcoholic.

And I seem to recall someone several dozen pages back saying they put the lees in a smoothie? I tried that too. Surprisingly good with banana and coconut milk and very alcoholic.

Just bottled two batches: one with ARL and one with yeast balls. Fermented at 21C for 3.5 weeks.

Did not like the ARL one - cloyingly sweet and a bit chalky. Wound up pouring it down the drain. The yeast ball one was much more drinkable, though that wasn't the only variable (used less water for yeast ball).

Update on sake progress:
Allowed 24 days of fermentation and then I filtered the liquid from the mushy rice substance. I was able to fill 2 swing tops, yielding just under 4 cups (I added 4 cups to the rice when cooking). The bottles are in the fridge, one is straight sake and the other I added a bit of pineapple and pomegranate juice. They are separating in the fridge and I will decant in a day or two. From what I can see after decanting it will likely yield 1 flip top once (about 2 cups from the 4 that was filtered out from the jars) it is all said and done from 4 cups of rice and 3 yeast balls.

I have not taste tested but it smells pleasantly sake-like (strong but a slight sweetness, hard to describe).

In my experience the wine should clear to about 15-20% lees. Some batches are quite good shaken up and drunk lees and all, while others are better clear, but either way I'd say you should end up with more than just a single bottle from the two bottles you have now. If you decant both bottles after a couple days and only end up with one bottle of clear wine, combine the other two and leave them in the fridge to clear for another few weeks and you'll probably find that you have at least another half bottle of clear wine.

I tasted a little from the bottle that already had pineapple juice and pomegranate juice incorporated and it was good. Not too hot tasting, not too much from the juice, fairly neutral in taste.

In my experience the wine should clear to about 15-20% lees. Some batches are quite good shaken up and drunk lees and all, while others are better clear, but either way I'd say you should end up with more than just a single bottle from the two bottles you have now. If you decant both bottles after a couple days and only end up with one bottle of clear wine, combine the other two and leave them in the fridge to clear for another few weeks and you'll probably find that you have at least another half bottle of clear wine.

I am going to do this. In a day or two I will decant and combine that into a "first run" bottle, and then leave the combined bottle of lees in the fridge for awhile and eventually decant a "second run".

I've not read the entire thread so forgive me if this has been covered, but is there a recommended fining agent to help clarify?
I've read most of the thread, though much of that was a few years ago. I don't recall anything about fining. Time in the fridge has always done a good enough job for me. A day or two does most of the work, but you can keep cold crashing to some further effect for another week or two. To the best of my knowledge, they don't traditionally fine this kind of rice wine here in China. Locally, it's usually bottled murky in earthen vessels (though they might be lined with something more neutral) and they let the jar sit in hot water for a while before breaking off the top and serving the wine warm and cloudy. It's popular with hotpot in the winter.

I've read most of the thread, though much of that was a few years ago. I don't recall anything about fining. Time in the fridge has always done a good enough job for me. A day or two does most of the work, but you can keep cold crashing to some further effect for another week or two. To the best of my knowledge, they don't traditionally fine this kind of rice wine here in China. Locally, it's usually bottled murky in earthen vessels (though they might be lined with something more neutral) and they let the jar sit in hot water for a while before breaking off the top and serving the wine warm and cloudy. It's popular with hotpot in the winter.
Even cloudy sounds good to me. I just really want to impress my neighbor, he's from Tokyo and also really into homebrewing. I realize that his impressions will be tempered by his expectations from a homebrewer, but I'd at least like to make something he and I can enjoy. Multi-culturalism is truly what makes America great, isn't it?

Hello, I too made rice wine about 1.5 years back and posted my results here. I made with ARL and bakers yeast I believe, or ginger. The wine was sour and somewhat dry.

If you have read the whole thread, can you help me understand few things.

What would be the recipie of a rice wine which is clear, sweet and light on palate? The kind you would drink in small sips along with savoury food or just on its own.
I am always intrigued by the wine in Jackie Chan's movie drunken master. He always gulps it down with food and the wine seems clear and of a bit water consistency, even would be made with rice. Now of course it's a movie but the wine is appealing nonetheless.

The thread has SO many recipies and
experiments that a person can be lost in this thread. I said this before and will say it again: there is a need to catalogue working recipies from this thread along with photos(where provided) and post it on the front page. Would be amazing.

I personally have ARL available not the yeast balls even on eBay. I am from India, so the Thai sweet rice is not easily available by the name. What should be the rice be like? I am saying in terms of size of grain, thickness and other characterstics? How should it be cooked? Should it be sticky or cooked with grains separated.
The yeast is available here, on eBay, from brand like Red star and Lalvin; most common types like Montrachet and EC1118.

Can a rice wine made at home be clear, like say sake? I would love to have a recipie which can be replicated again and again and produce same result each time.

Hope you tag other people, friends of yours to this post and let them share their recipies here.

Thanks!

Hello, I too made rice wine about 1.5 years back and posted my results here. I made with ARL and bakers yeast I believe, or ginger. The wine was sour and somewhat dry.

If you have read the whole thread, can you help me understand few things.

What would be the recipie of a rice wine which is clear, sweet and light on palate? The kind you would drink in small sips along with savoury food or just on its own.
I am always intrigued by the wine in Jackie Chan's movie drunken master. He always gulps it down with food and the wine seems clear and of a bit water consistency, even would be made with rice. Now of course it's a movie but the wine is appealing nonetheless.

The thread has SO many recipies and
experiments that a person can be lost in this thread. I said this before and will say it again: there is a need to catalogue working recipies from this thread along with photos(where provided) and post it on the front page. Would be amazing.

I personally have ARL available not the yeast balls even on eBay. I am from India, so the Thai sweet rice is not easily available by the name. What should be the rice be like? I am saying in terms of size of grain, thickness and other characterstics? How should it be cooked? Should it be sticky or cooked with grains separated.
The yeast is available here, on eBay, from brand like Red star and Lalvin; most common types like Montrachet and EC1118.

Can a rice wine made at home be clear, like say sake? I would love to have a recipie which can be replicated again and again and produce same result each time.

Hope you tag other people, friends of yours to this post and let them share their recipies here.

Thanks!
Quite a bit to respond to here.

As I said, I read through the entirety of the thread as it existed about 3 years ago, and I think I've kept up with most of it, though very sporadically, since then. What that all amounts to is that I have a bunch of impressions on the making of rice wine but not much practical knowledge that I recall other than that which comes anecdotally from my own experience.

I believe some people have said that ARL tends to produce a drier wine while yeast balls often make a fuller wine. My own experience was that yeast balls infected more batches than not, but I was using traditionally-produced yeast balls and not the professional ones sold overseas that are probably made in a much cleaner environment and less prone to carrying unwanted microorganisms. My best rice wine has always been made with ARL. I have not used, nor do I see any reason to add any other yeast, as ARL and yeast balls both contain all of the fungus and yeast necessary to make rice into wine.

I have definitely drunk rice wines like you describe - light (around 5% ABV), clear, sweet - but only commercial examples. I don't know how they're made. My guess would be that they ferment the rice wine for a shorter time and then pasteurize it to stop any further fermentation, then fine and/or cold crash for clarity and leave the lees behind. However, I feel like it might not be that simple: stopping a rice wine ferment at 5% would likely mean getting far less liquid out of the same batch size as there isn't enough time for complete liquifaction, and adding water would mean you'd probably end up with something either weaker or less sweet. It's probably a matter of adding the right amount of water that a 5% fermentation still has plenty of sugars left in it. I would also probably use glutinous rice, as I think it would make for a sweeter final product which you seem to be aiming for.

On the other hand, the wine he's supposed to be drinking in Drunken Master is probably just straight rice wine, fully fermented and decanted off the lees when they settled out, or possibly made with some other kind of grain entirely - Chinese booze has a wide and varied history and much of it is quite unpleasant to drink to the untrained palate (if the palate can be trained to it at all, which I somewhat doubt about some varieties I've had, including most of the distilled stuff called baijiu, which is rarely made with rice).

As for rice, I'm not one of those who has experimented with varieties. I have always just used whatever domestic Chinese rice I had on hand for regular cooking, and I haven't noticed significant differences in taste or yield with any of them. Glutinous rice is the standard for brewing rice wine as far as I understand, but it's more expensive than regular eating rice so I've never bothered with it. As for consistency, I just try to get the rice as wet as possible to increase the yield and aid in liquefaction, but it's good to have some airspace between some of the rice, hence the advice I've seen somewhere that you roll up balls of rice mixed with your fermenting culture and put them in your fermenter rather than mashing all the rice down in one big mass.

Finally, as I've alluded to a few times recently, your best bet for clarity is to cold crash your harvested wine in a refrigerator for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, then decant the clear wine off of the lees and toss the lees in a smoothie, a curry, a soup, the garden, the trash, or wherever else you please. I've had a batch or two that tasted best shaken up with the lees and drunk cloudy, but most of the time I find the clear stuff is better.

I decanted off the lees, let the wine sit in the fridge for another week and did it again, and now my "final" product is done (ie. sitting in the fridge another week with no lees accumulated).

But the product is NOT completely clear, just less murky than the bottles with lees. Maybe if I could get it even colder then my refrigerator more would drop out however I don't think it has a negative impact on taste (keep in mind this is my first batch of rice wine). Maybe decanting and using a coffee filter would catch a bit more of the sediment, I am not sure but I am happy with the resulting product straight, and may set some aside to play with and add fruit/additives of some kind. I did use the yeast balls for yeast.

I decanted off the lees, let the wine sit in the fridge for another week and did it again, and now my "final" product is done (ie. sitting in the fridge another week with no lees accumulated).

But the product is NOT completely clear, just less murky than the bottles with lees. Maybe if I could get it even colder then my refrigerator more would drop out however I don't think it has a negative impact on taste (keep in mind this is my first batch of rice wine). Maybe decanting and using a coffee filter would catch a bit more of the sediment, I am not sure but I am happy with the resulting product straight, and may set some aside to play with and add fruit/additives of some kind. I did use the yeast balls for yeast.

My only batch in the last couple years (maybe five or six months ago) dropped crystal clear. It was made with ARL, medium-grained Chinese rice, and I added a small amount of water at the beginning, largely to make up for the fact that some of the rice was still hard (it was the rice from two or three failed sushi rice batches that convinced me to replace our shoddy rice cooker with an electric pressure cooker). I don't know which of those factors may have contributed to better clearing than yours has had, nor do I remember how well my previous batches cleared up when I was making rice wine a bit more often a few years ago.

From my experience, filtration might be an uphill battle - I tried to filter an early batch through coffee filters and was generally only able to get a few ml through each filter before it clogged irreversibly.

If I may ask without derailing the thread too much, how are you doing your kombucha? I just started making it myself for the second time a couple months ago and it's going much better than the first attempt (vinegar every time until I finally gave up and threw out the scoby), but I'm still looking for ways to improve my process and product.

I think I may have added to the cloudiness by having too much moisture in the rice. I really wasn't happy with the consistency when it went into the jars. Cement-like I'd say.

I just ordered a SCOBY online and threw it in a one gallon jar with a bit of vinegar and strong tea and leave it in the warmest room in the house. It's day 10 and I'm unsure if the batch will be successful the scoby dropped to the bottom of the jar and there is some weird growth on the surface. But at least I will have some rice wine to drown my sorrows!

I just ordered a SCOBY online and threw it in a one gallon jar with a bit of vinegar and strong tea and leave it in the warmest room in the house. It's day 10 and I'm unsure if the batch will be successful the scoby dropped to the bottom of the jar and there is some weird growth on the surface. But at least I will have some rice wine to drown my sorrows!
Got it, so you're even newer to it than I am. With my kombucha, I'm finding that I prefer the stuff that's been fermented for about four or five days before bottling with about 20% juice or a moderate amount of ginger. By 10 days or so, the stuff in the jar is pretty close to fermented out, though bottling it with juice makes it still drinkable when it carbs up. My first batch of this run, using vinegar as you did for the initial acidification, was only good for building up some better starter tea for the second batch. The second batch still had some white vinegar taste to it but it was drinkable. It started to get better by the third batch when the white vinegar content was diluted to pretty near zero.

Drinking it unflavored has not been to my taste. A cubic inch of ginger, washed (but not necessarily peeled) and julienned is good for roughly a 500 ml bottle and gives it a nice flavor, but might need a bit of white sugar added at bottling for carbonation depending on how fully the booch has fermented by the time I bottle it. Bottling with 20% juice (preferably not from concentrate and without preservatives) works quite nicely and contains enough sugar for carbonation even if it's fully fermented - German Kirsch juice was quite nice even though I didn't love the juice on its own, blackcurrant was a step down from the Kirsch both in the booch and on its own, and I'm a bit less hopeful about the cheap domestic Chinese grape juice from concentrate in the current batch (I just finished the blackcurrant today so I'll find out how the grape tastes tomorrow). To my taste, carbonation is almost mandatory too. I bottle in 500 ml, 750 ml, and 1L swingtops, let them carbonate for anywhere from three days up, and drink about 250-300 ml a morning. Even the full liter bottles can maintain carbonation well enough over three to four days of being opened and poured once a day.

As for the tea itself, for a 4L batch (which is really about a 3-3.5L top-off) I use 20 grams of black pu-er tea and 150g of white sugar, steeped for about 10 minutes in water that was just brought to a boil - so a temperature gradient of about 100-80C over that time span - and then chilled in a water bath in the sink over the course of another 20-30 minutes with occasional stirring and water changes before tossing it in the jar on top of the scoby and starter tea (I haven't cleaned my jar yet, just bottle the finished booch and add new tea) when it's down to the mid-thirties celsius. The scoby usually doesn't float up for a few days, but it usually does end up at the top where a new scoby has inevitably started forming, along with some scummy looking foam that seems to be basically the kombucha equivalent of krausen. In four or five batches, I've already composted two scobys nearly an inch thick each since I haven't found anyone who wants them.

Anyway, I hope this helps you, and if you get good at the whole kombucha thing and figure out some good tips and tricks, shoot me a message and enlighten me. For everybody else, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

New homebrewer from Finland here. Thank you for this thread, I have been wanting to make some homemade Sake but thought it was bit too complex for me. (I'm a simple kit&kilo+dryhop ale brewer) The basic recipe in this thread however is so dead simple that I've got to try it, but problem is I cannot find Chinese Yeast Balls anywhere around here and online the prices are pure rip off.

The alternative I have seen mentioned here is Angel Rice Leaven and that I can order a bulk of 8g bags very cheaply and I can get some no-name brand wine yeast from local supermarket to complement it. But how many cups of rice a single 8 gram pack of ARL can liquify? Maybe this question was answered somewhere in this thread but I did not find it.

Skimmed through a huge portion of this thread but not all of it (at 150 pages it's closer to a novella then a thread), and didn't see if anyone had considered adding water to the initial mix.

If the wine is topping out ~20% but still sweet I am assuming there is still sugars left from the bacteria eating the rice that the yeast is unable to consume. This would also be why it seems several people here can't reuse the old rice for a new batch (the yeast is dead from alc levels).

I was wondering if anyone had ever tried mixing larger amounts of water into the prpcess, either initially or later additions, to keep the abv down and yeast&fungus alive for reuse as well as to have a potentially Fuller ferment.

Skimmed through a huge portion of this thread but not all of it (at 150 pages it's closer to a novella then a thread), and didn't see if anyone had considered adding water to the initial mix.

If the wine is topping out ~20% but still sweet I am assuming there is still sugars left from the bacteria eating the rice that the yeast is unable to consume. This would also be why it seems several people here can't reuse the old rice for a new batch (the yeast is dead from alc levels).

I was wondering if anyone had ever tried mixing larger amounts of water into the prpcess, either initially or later additions, to keep the abv down and yeast&fungus alive for reuse as well as to have a potentially Fuller ferment.

A batch without added water is typically sweet and boozy, with a strong bite - as one recent commenter noted, you feel the burn on your fingers when you squeeze the dregs. Even adding a little water (say, 10% of the final yield) makes a very different end product. I added something like 200-300 ml of filtered water at the beginning of a batch that ended up yielding 2L and it came out tasting much more like a dry white wine than anything I've made before, with an apparent ABV% (anecdotal) of maybe 10-12%. To be fair, though, I don't think the stuff without added water is actually much stronger than that, even though it theoretically tops out around 20%. None of my batches have felt anywhere near 20%, even if the booziness and bite seemed to indicate that range.

BC0A45F5-5DD8-485E-B0FB-0D5C0C95F979.jpeg
0B681801-01AE-4B9B-ACEC-978668209A90.jpeg
My maiden post here.

Just thought of sharing my red rice yeast with wine yeast here. This is Day 8. I’m using 2kg of glutinous rice.

What a great thread this is.. Thanks all for contributing.
Now I have a question.. my first batch is going for 1.5 weeks now and I think it`s doing what is supposed to (compared to other pictures here in this thread) nice sweet alcoholic smell comes of. The question I have is concerning having an airlock or not. I`m fermenting in a 1 gallon glas jar with a snap on lid. So co2 can`t get out. Except for the potential co2 building up am I fine fermenting in a air tight container? Or will it ruin the taste eventually? Thanks and happy brewing :)

CO2 buildup can cause a plethora of problems not including a bomb, including stressing yeast too much and killing it or cause off flavours.

A piece of cheese clothe several layers thick may give enough of a gap to let out co2 while keeping it sanitary.

Back