Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I did a small patch in a jar that fits 800ml. It's been a week since it have been sitting there. It seems to have stop producing CO2. It looks like a big giant goop with in a puddle of liquid filling up to the goop. I'd say right now I think I have probably 300 to 200 ml worth of alcohol. I think I'll let it sit for another week before I pasteurize it. Probably not worth the trouble of doing it but I'm not going to be drinking it right away. Though, I have a question about pasteurizing it. The post I was reading said something about Bentonite powder https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=423097. Is it necessary? From what I read it's just a process to heat treat the batch to kill off the yeast/bacteria. I'm not sure what is the purpose of Bentonite powder.

Bentonite will help to clear the liquor. This stuff usually clears on its own though given some time. You could also pop it in the fridge to help it clear then siphon off the lees to bottles then pasteurize.

If it hasn't separated yet I would let it ride for at least a couple more weeks. This stuff usually takes about a month to finish.

Big brew project coming up as soon as my yeasts arrive.

Testing
1. Vintner's Harvest CL23
2. VH Sn9
3. White Labs 740
4. WLP 099
5. WLP 705
6. Wyeast 4632
7. Wyeast Sake #9
8. Safale 04
9. Nottingham Ale Yeast

I would really love to test Safoeno CK s102, but I can't find a single vendor in the US.

So I'm just reporting on how my batch came out. It's a sour and I don't really taste much alcohol. It's not sour to the point of undrinkable. It's more on point of grape juice but less sweet.

Maybe I used too much water. It has been 3 weeks and the liquid separated with chunks of moosh floating/sunk. Well I think I'll try another batch some other time. It was an entertaining experiment.

I've actually made a batch and began drinking it 25 days later. Other batches have "brewed" 45 days. I think I'm a bigger fan of letting them go longer. Stronger taste and less sweet.

I would think just adding priming sugar would be sufficient to do this in this recipe. People have made sparkling before.

Order this one yeast for rice wine. Can't find any yeast ball or aspergillus oryzae. So, i've bought this one.
Does it will be ok for makin rice wine?

New-Arrival-500g-Alcohol-yeast-Active-Dry-Yeast-fermentation-white-wine-home-brewing-with-saccha.jpg

Just started a batch in a 1 gall jar using a similar method/materials to the OP.

Bought my rice balls here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Over-1-000-...LS-Rice-Wine-Chinese-YEAST-BALLS/141866638440

4 Yeast balls + costoco jasmine rice 3 cups (measured uncooked) of rice to make it and capped it with an airlock rather than cheese cloth letting sit in a low/cooler part of my house probably in the mid to low 60s

Boiled the rice and let sit in the pot with the lid on for a few hours to cool. Here's hoping it doesn't turn out bad, few people been saying they didn't have luck with cooking the rice in water.

This is makgeolli. Completely different from what this thread is about.
From what I saw In The video though they make this foam makgeolli by mashing the rice and the wheat before adding nuruk and yeast. Then they strain the solids from the liquid and add nuruk and yeast. Which is why it is more clear and lighter in body than traditional makgeolli.

I'm through 350 pages of posts so far and haven't seen any mention of this:

https://youtu.be/87u6BYLHvY4

Foam rice wine?? Wheat and rice with a twist. Interested if anyone has ideas on copying this recipe.

I've never made makgeolli but, after watching this video, I may give it a try. Not sure about the foaming version but maybe the traditional way first. Looks tastey. Many of my rice wine batches have turned out carbonated but none of them foamy.

Funny enough, I've never tried to carb it. I guess I have just bottled too soon and causing them to carb up.

Finding yeast a balls was a challenge. I wonder how hard it will be to find nuruk.

Thanks for sharing and posting the link to the video.

I've been eyeballing this thread for a while and finally decided to give it a go today. I've bought some kind of jar in which I've drilled a hole to fit the airlock. So now I've got about 0.5 kg of rice in the container with 2 powder crushed yeast balls (hopefully the right one, my knowledge of the Chinese language isn't that up-to-date). Let's see how this turns out. How long does it generally take for the first bit of liquid to appear?

IMG_4497.jpg

IMG_4498 (1).jpg

IMG_4499.jpg

IMG_4501.jpg

Last edited:
How long does it generally take for the first bit of liquid to appear?

Should be able to see some liquid after 1-2 days, can't tell if it is booze or rice liquifying, probably both (also my first go at this). Didn't see noticeable airlock activity until day 2. Pic below of mine in a 1 gallon wide mouth jar after 3 days:

yqTnD3O.jpg

I've been eyeballing this thread for a while and finally decided to give it a go today. I've bought some kind of jar in which I've drilled a hole to fit the airlock. So now I've got about 0.5 kg of rice in the container with 2 powder crushed yeast balls (hopefully the right one, my knowledge of the Chinese language isn't that up-to-date). Let's see how this turns out. How long does it generally take for the first bit of liquid to appear?

Looks like you'll be getting vinegar. That rice is a little too wet.

Looks like you'll be getting vinegar. That rice is a little too wet.

Not necessarily. Of all the batches I've made, my best were the batches cooked in the rice cooker, resulting in very sticky, wet rice. My worst batches were batches I steamed and properly spread and air cooled so the grains were drier. None of my batches turned to vinegar or were sour even when fermenting 6 weeks or longer. The yeast balls used probably have a lot to do with the results. It may turn out okay.

We'll see what is does. No visible activity up to now (yet?).

Here's my 2 cents...from the pictures you posted, everything looks right. You've got the right yeast balls. I can't tell what type of rice that is but, the type of rice and amount of water used to cook it will make a big difference in the final product.

The good news is, this is all cheap material and you can easily make a new batch.

My favorite is Thai Jasmine rice. Always turns out great.

From what I can see, I believe you'll be happy with your end product. It looks like a "normal" batch of rice wine and should be fine.

Brewit, I've used sticky sushi rice for this. I took 0.5kg of rice, and cooked it for 10 minutes with 0.5x1.5=750 ML of water. When the water was boiled off, I turned off the heat to let it steam for another 10-15 minutes.Let it cool down in an oven tray (what's the word in English?) and than put it into the jar with 2 crushed yeast balls.

Started this batch 2 days ago now. I took a look a few minutes ago and the liquid is finally starting to form bit by little bit! Very excited to see what it will do in a week of 2-3. I'll keep you guys posted if you want to.

Brewit, I've used sticky sushi rice for this. I took 0.5kg of rice, and cooked it for 10 minutes with 0.5x1.5=750 ML of water. When the water was boiled off, I turned off the heat to let it steam for another 10-15 minutes.Let it cool down in an oven tray (what's the word in English?) and than put it into the jar with 2 crushed yeast balls.

Started this batch 2 days ago now. I took a look a few minutes ago and the liquid is finally starting to form bit by little bit! Very excited to see what it will do in a week of 2-3. I'll keep you guys posted if you want to.

Nice, if I remember correctly, folks here have had success using sushi rice. Yes please keep us updated on your batch. I'm interested in hearing how it turns out.

The liquid is starting to build up now. On the more dry bit on top some fungus is starting to form. Small white little hairs. I'm sure that answer is somewhere earlier in this thread, but is the fungus something I should worry about?

rice-wine.jpg

The liquid is starting to build up now. On the more dry bit on top some fungus is starting to form. Small white little hairs. I'm sure that answer is somewhere earlier in this thread, but is the fungus something I should worry about?

You put it in yourself. It wasn't just yeast in those white rice balls, also a fungus that breaks down the rice starch into sugar so the yeast have something to eat.

Or so I've seen written elsewhere in the thread, I'm also only on my first batch.

White hairs are from the mold that turns rice to sugar water. Since your container is clear, you should put it somewhere with no light. Light will cause the fungus to "bloom" and turn green.

White hairs are from the mold that turns rice to sugar water. Since your container is clear, you should put it somewhere with no light. Light will cause the fungus to "bloom" and turn green.

Excellent advice!!!

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep checking for the mold to to green. But the jar is in a dark boiler room, so I guess it'll be fine. I yurned on the light just for taking the photo :)

I ferment in direct sunlight and have never had mold change to green. I wonder why yours does?

In reading a lot of these, I think everyone is overthinking things. Steamed rice, boiled rice, brand of Koji used, water amounts, etc... I don't think anything is as important as the temp. Above 60F it's going to be sour and be nasty to drink (In my opinion.) The closer I can get my batches to freezing, the better results I get. So much so that I only make it in the winter now. Cold doesn't stop these yeast. Maybe slow a bit, but most of us have seen the exploding rice wine bottles in the fridge. That's because it was designed for the cold. I have been making this rice wine for several years now. Want a sweeter wine? Don't add any additional water after steaming. Want a dryer wine? This last batch, I cooked up 10 pounds of sweet rice, then added 2 more gallons of water at the end. I've now got @ 3.5 gals I've filtered and sitting in a carboy in the cool for another month or so to clear and finish. But, I also cook my rice a bit dry at 1.5 cups water to 1 cup rice.

I've also read on here that you can't age it or that it has to be refrigerated when done. I have over 30 bottles of this left and it just keeps getting better. I left it cork up for several months just in case, but now I jut store it with my other wines.

Last June is when I bottled it, but it was made during the previous winter, filtered, then sitting in a carboy for several months to make sure it was done. So actually, it's been over a year since I made that batch.

Anyway, just my 2 cents, learned by trial and error and from some Chinese friends. Cheers!

^^^ Completely anecdotal, but no matter what I'm fermenting I usually get a better product if I let it go at a lower temperature for a longer time.

Yes, if you are at a temp the yeast will work in. But even in the 30's degree F temps of my garage, it doesn't slow it down much, and I think the enzymes not at all. I get a lot of conversion to liquid in the first 48 hours, and for the next few days after that, the rice is actually delicious. Very sweet like a rice pudding. After the first week though, the yeast has started going to town and eats up that sweetness in a hurry.

At whatever temps you make the rice wine, it takes a long time to finish completely. That's why many end up heating/sterilizing it. Even after a couple months you can have bottle bombs. After a couple weeks you can probably drink it after straining, but I just follow my Chinese friend's instruction. One month on the rice.. no more, no less. That's when I strain off the solids. But then I get it into a glass carboy and let it completely finish and clear on its own. I've tried to rush it and bottle it sooner, but ended up with some sediment in the bottom after a while. Reminds me of making mead... it just takes time and patience if you want it nice and clear without additives. If you're the type that doesn't mind your drink a bit cloudy, like a wheat beer, then it'll be ready for you way before that. A bit different flavors. Some have liked that better than the finished clear stuff. To each his/her own?

What I haven't tried since I make large batches of at least 10lbs rice, nearly filling a 7.5 gal brewing bucket, and I know I get changes in temps in the garage. Someone might try mixing a smaller batch, mix in the yeast balls, then store it in the fridge. See how if it works at a steady low temp? Some fridges only get into the low 40's and I think it would work perfect if the wife doesn't kick you out and you have some space for it.

Made my first batch, wow it's very strong. Not exactly a "wine"...more like liquid fire

Made my first batch, wow it's very strong. Not exactly a "wine"...more like liquid fire

LOL.. Yeah, I've had a few tested and they are usually in the 19-20% alc range if I haven't added additional water, so right up there with 1118 Champagne yeast as far as alcohol tolerance. That's one of the reasons I'm aging last years' batch.. good flavor with a jet fuel kick. I'm hoping aging will ease up that alcohol taste over time.

Just fixed up 2 batches. One regular and a 2nd with RYR. Not sure if it's the color or not but, the RYR actually tastes stronger and a hint of fruitiness. Hard to describe but, it completely transforms this stuff. Can't wait for 30 days to enjoy it.

What I haven't tried since I make large batches of at least 10lbs rice, nearly filling a 7.5 gal brewing bucket, and I know I get changes in temps in the garage. Someone might try mixing a smaller batch, mix in the yeast balls, then store it in the fridge. See how if it works at a steady low temp? Some fridges only get into the low 40's and I think it would work perfect if the wife doesn't kick you out and you have some space for it.

You know, that's an excellent idea. I only make very small batches and no SWMBO to worry about. I will do that with my next batch and report the results here.

Edit: Just put a 2 cup dry batch of jasmine rice in tonight. Thermometer in the fridge says it's 42F.

Edit 2: 6 days later and not a sign of liquefaction.

First time brewer here. I've got 2 jars fermenting at the moment. The one on the left is arborio rice and the one on the right is jasmine. They've been fermenting for 6 days now. Is the cloudiness in the liquid normal? Also, when I smell them, they smell yeasty but have a strong alcohol smell. Is anything wrong?

IMG_0922.jpg

Back