Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah! I misunderstood then. Yeah, I definitely will. I'm interested to see how this goes. I'd like not to have to order yeast balls all the time.

Good luck...I've never had success. If you do it and get results that you'd be willing to do again, please share.

OK gents, first batch is fermenting now. I used "Mahatma Enriched Thai Fragrant Long Grain Jasmine Rice". The package was 2 lbs which came out to right at 5 cups of dry rice. Rinsed, soaked for about 20 minutes, then boiled on the stove top for about 15. I used a 1:1.25 ratio of water to dry rice and I sprinkled 4 crushed yeast balls over the rice before putting in to my glass jar.
The jar is actually VERY big and I could have easily tripled the amount of rice but since this is my first attempt I wanted to go easy.
After cooking the rice was perfect. Nice, fluffy, and sticky. I'm anticipating a very good batch in a few weeks!

Good luck...I've never had success. If you do it and get results that you'd be willing to do again, please share.

It's a few days later and the secondary batch seems to be doing the same thing. Unfortunately I didn't take daily pictures of the first one (I'm doing that with enough projects that it just slipped my mind.) But so far so good.

Given that I misunderstood the original complaint about trying to do this (that it was in fact about a decreased yield) it's tough to tell if my experiment is working any better than anyone else's.

BUT I did order a 20 cup rice steamer and bought a 5 gallon fermenting bucket with the intentions of making a large batch.

I really hope this daisy-chaining works because chinese yeast balls have suddenly become unavailable from Amazon, where I got my first batch.

Will definitely keep this thread updated.

It's a few days later and the secondary batch seems to be doing the same thing. Unfortunately I didn't take daily pictures of the first one (I'm doing that with enough projects that it just slipped my mind.) But so far so good.

Given that I misunderstood the original complaint about trying to do this (that it was in fact about a decreased yield) it's tough to tell if my experiment is working any better than anyone else's.

BUT I did order a 20 cup rice steamer and bought a 5 gallon fermenting bucket with the intentions of making a large batch.

I really hope this daisy-chaining works because chinese yeast balls have suddenly become unavailable from Amazon, where I got my first batch.

Someone on this forum sell them. If only I can remember who?

I could sell them to you, but I live in Toronto, and I don't have an eBay account set up yet. How much would you buy them for?

You are correct. :) just go to eBay and search for dried yeast balls and you'll see my listings. I use the same screen name of jak1010. Get them from me or anywhere you'd like, just get them. This is good stuff!

No Asian markets in your area?

Sorry if this is a repeat question (I have been reading the thread, but it is a loooong one!).

I attempted my hand a rice wine. I got some chinese yeast balls, and I used a glutinous rice. At the request of a friend (which is where i might have gone wrong, but she was the one that asked I try this) I added in a bit of sugar to the water as I cooked the rice. I cooked it, and then did a layer of rice, then a bit of yeast, and more rice and yeast and so on. Set to ferment. I did use clear wrap to cover with a rubber band that lets some air escape at a slow rate (almost like a poor mans Co2 lock).

about 3-4 weeks later there was lots of liquid, and some of the rice had fallen while at the top there was a large glump of... rice that was obviously completely eaten. I strained out my rice wine, and got more than I was expecting.

Now for the question: I see most of you have sweet wine. Mine is STRONG, and tart. There is a bit of fruitiness to it, but it is so very dry and tart.

Where did I go wrong?

Sorry if this is a repeat question (I have been reading the thread, but it is a loooong one!).

I attempted my hand a rice wine. I got some chinese yeast balls, and I used a glutinous rice. At the request of a friend (which is where i might have gone wrong, but she was the one that asked I try this) I added in a bit of sugar to the water as I cooked the rice. I cooked it, and then did a layer of rice, then a bit of yeast, and more rice and yeast and so on. Set to ferment. I did use clear wrap to cover with a rubber band that lets some air escape at a slow rate (almost like a poor mans Co2 lock).

about 3-4 weeks later there was lots of liquid, and some of the rice had fallen while at the top there was a large glump of... rice that was obviously completely eaten. I strained out my rice wine, and got more than I was expecting.

Now for the question: I see most of you have sweet wine. Mine is STRONG, and tart. There is a bit of fruitiness to it, but it is so very dry and tart.

Where did I go wrong?
I'm going to give what probably will sound like a smart-ass answer but .... you went wrong where you deviated from what worked for everyone else. :)

When you added sugar you did what also happens to beer when you add sugar. You added more easily fermentable sugars that allowed nast higher alcohols take over the flavor profiles.

Just a guess - but without a lab analysis that's the best one you are gonna get I believe. Too often (not beating on you, everyone does this) people "improve" a recipe before they ever try it the first time.

I'm going to give what probably will sound like a smart-ass answer but .... you went wrong where you deviated from what worked for everyone else. :)

When you added sugar you did what also happens to beer when you add sugar. You added more easily fermentable sugars that allowed nast higher alcohols take over the flavor profiles.

Just a guess - but without a lab analysis that's the best one you are gonna get I believe. Too often (not beating on you, everyone does this) people "improve" a recipe before they ever try it the first time.

I also forgot to rinse the rice! Thank you so much! I am going to try a new batch (NO SUGAR) and see if I can't get the loveliness that you all have been.

I think I shall let my first batch out to vinegar for some cooking (or add in my mother from my accidental peach wine vinegar).

It's a couple weeks later and the process is proceeding just fine in the 2nd batch.

SO much so, that I decided to cook up a 10 cup batch of rice (call it 2 gallons in volume), put it in a bucket fermenter and pour my second batch in there and mix it up. I did that last night, put an airlock on it and am now waiting.

My first batch has slowed way down. I shake it and can get the occasional additional bubble or to to float out of the slurry. But I suspect it may be time to start filtering it down to see what I've got. There's no hard mass in there at all anymore. It's amazing to watch this process.

The sugar is not necessary, if you want to sweeten it some people have back sweetened after the fermentation. I actually prefer the higher alcohol and dryness, so I make mine for max abv. Also, not all yeast balls are the same. They can have a big impact on the flavour. Try different brands till you find one you like.

I also forgot to rinse the rice! Thank you so much! I am going to try a new batch (NO SUGAR) and see if I can't get the loveliness that you all have been.

I think I shall let my first batch out to vinegar for some cooking (or add in my mother from my accidental peach wine vinegar).

Rinsing the rice isn't necessary. Some people rinse their rice before cooking and others don't with no appreciable difference. Tradition only.

I always rinse, just to get the husk dust and other stuff out. I think the fibers and protein in the dust, along with other contaminants may affect the fermentation and quality.

It is definitely important to rinse rice thoroughly for rice wine.
It really improves your chances at having good results.

Traditionally the rice is always thoroughly rinsed. There is a lot of science as to why.
A lot of people want to vary from the methods used for several generations of rice wine making and usually end up with inferior results.

If you read this full thread or the various recipes on the web you will know why.
Cutting corners in any beer or wine making process usually results in crappy product.

I used Thai sweet rice this go round, 5 cups steamed, one yeast ball. The rice was not rinsed. Almost ready to harvest after about 3 weeks. I have never rinsed any of the 4 batches I have made and the last 3 were calrose rice. They all have turned out well.

And we rinse....WHY? Hopefully, it's not " becuse that's how it's always has been done". Do two identical batches, rinse one, do not rinse the other. THEN post results. I am extremely happy with mine and can't see how rinsing does anything but get rid of more fermentables, to use a beer term.

YMMV ( Your mileage may vary)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I brew because I must.

"And we rinse....WHY? Hopefully, it's not " becuse that's how it's always has been done". Do two identical batches, rinse one, do not rinse the other. THEN post results. I am extremely happy with mine and can't see how rinsing does anything but get rid of more fermentables, to use a beer term."

I have done side by side, rinsed vs. not rinsed and detected no difference. Both ways make good rice and good rice wine. Maybe others will post their experiences too.

"And we rinse....WHY? Hopefully, it's not " becuse that's how it's always has been done". Do two identical batches, rinse one, do not rinse the other. THEN post results. I am extremely happy with mine and can't see how rinsing does anything but get rid of more fermentables, to use a beer term."

I have done side by side, rinsed vs. not rinsed and detected no difference. Both ways make good rice and good rice wine. Maybe others will post their experiences too.

Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I brew because I must.

I think rinsing is the norm because of sushi rice. If you don't rinse and prepare sushi rice properly then it won't make good sushi. This probably carried over into all applications utilizing sushi rice (sake) and has been traditional ever since. Does it actually make a difference? Probably not. Is it ok to rinse/not rinse? Absolutely. Whatever method is giving you a great end product is a good method to use.

The sushi rice thing is purely conjecture. If someone has actually taken the time to study this from a historical standpoint then I would love to learn more.

Rice fiber, protein, is not fermentable. It can hinder the fermentation. Packaged rice would have lots of dust containing fiber and protein, and maybe even contaminants. It all comes down to what is considered "good enough" for you, but, if washing doesn't cause any harm and should yield cleaner results, why not do it?

It isn't a matter of "good enough" as much as it is "no detectable difference." BIAB was rumored to produce cloudy beer because it wasn't vorlaufed(sp?). However that hasn't been the case in double blind tests. What in theory should happen is often not what actually happens. When reality crushes your theory then it is time to start adapting to the new information.

Thoroughly washed rice also steams better, and smells cleaner. This would result in cleaner alcohol, less unwanted aromas and byproducts.

It's all good. If it makes a difference or not, it only takes a little bit of time. If you're style is "better safe than sorry" go ahead and rinse. Anything that increases your chances of success sounds like a good thing.

For me, I don't rinse because it's not that big of a deal to me. I always get results that I'm happy with. If someone told me that making this stuff only on Wednesday's and you have to stand on one foot while crushing the yeast, I'd try it out.

Do whatever works for you and makes you happy. This is a hobby and should be fun.

How about drinking it clear or cloudy with the solids mixed in?

I prefer the solids mixed in and getting a milky blend. :D

I 'harvested' enough on Tuesday night to just about fill a 750 bottle, which I brought in to the office and put in the fridge.

We just tried it for the first time. It is absolutely excellent. Maybe it ages well, but I'm convinced I'll never find out.

Thanks very much to sonofgrok for posting this. I plan to always have some on hand.
I'm glad I ordered a big stack of yeast balls off ebay yesterday because I'm going to start making this in rather large batches.

I started with about 4 cups of jasmine rice, didn't rinse it (my first time) and used a pair of yeast balls.

Just excellent.

I 'harvested' enough on Tuesday night to just about fill a 750 bottle, which I brought in to the office and put in the fridge.

We just tried it for the first time. It is absolutely excellent. Maybe it ages well, but I'm convinced I'll never find out.

Thanks very much to sonofgrok for posting this. I plan to always have some on hand.
I'm glad I ordered a big stack of yeast balls off ebay yesterday because I'm going to start making this in rather large batches.

I started with about 4 cups of jasmine rice, didn't rinse it (my first time) and used a pair of yeast balls.

Just excellent.

Very good. You'll be happy to know I packed and shipped yesterday and included extra yeast balls in your order. Shipped it priority mail so it'll be there quick. Thanks for coming back to me!

Very good. You'll be happy to know I packed and shipped yesterday and included extra yeast balls in your order. Shipped it priority mail so it'll be there quick. Thanks for coming back to me!

Dude you rock!

After yesterday's alarming success (I had most of the office drinking rice wine out of little shot glasses. It was quite a sight.) I ran (well, drove) home last night and whipped up a batch of rice and put it in with the dregs of this first batch (which amounted to about a half cup of...well, god knows what, but it was still fermenting) in the hopes that there's enough activity to kickstart it.

BUT Rice is cheap, so if it doesn't work then...meh.

Alarmingly this showed up today. I had taken the remainder of batch 1 and split it to start two more batches, one mason jar and one 3 gallon fermenting bucket. I took one packet, crushed them to death and mixed it pretty thoroughly in the bucket that I'd started a few days ago.

What's the difference between using the yeast balls and the packets of what look like rice yeast?

Alarmingly this showed up today. I had taken the remainder of batch 1 and split it to start two more batches, one mason jar and one 3 gallon fermenting bucket. I took one packet, crushed them to death and mixed it pretty thoroughly in the bucket that I'd started a few days ago.

What's the difference between using the yeast balls and the packets of what look like rice yeast?

They are both yeast for making rice wine. The packets of Angel Rice Leaven are (from what I've read and my own experience) a yeast that's laboratory made like other yeasts used in beer, wine and mead. It's sealed in packages that are air tight. Try both and see if you notice a difference.

I waited a week longer than i had before to harvest my wine. I got vinegar this go round. Tasty vinegar, which I will use for cooking, but vinegar nonetheless. Lesson learned.

I brew because I must.

Back