Making the plunge!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CABeerMaker

Reaction score
I've been doing extract for 4 years now and am getting ready to make the plunge to all grain. I am currently building a single tier HERMS stand. I have been doing research and feel that the ability to keep my temps constant with direct fire seems the way to go. Now come the questions.....

First, how hard is it to keep/control temp with a HERMS system? I know batch sparge with a cooler allows walk away and forget factor, but after I dial in my burner will I need to keep a constant eye on everything or will it stay fairly stable?

Second, I am looking at 2 burners and 2 pumps, will that be enough or am I missing something?

Third, I have a 36 gallon SS tanks, pictures are posted on here somewhere, and am thinking of using it as my MT. It has a 2" fitting on the bottom that I would have to reduce to 1/2" for connection to a pump. Do you see any problems with this?

I will try and post pics as time allows and thanks for all of your help.:mug:

I use a HERMS, and have no problem hitting temps to within 1/2 a degree. I can walk away, but obviously, I don't like to do so with an open flame running.

2 pumps and 2 burners would work fine, but you'll be happier if you buy a third burner. It makes it very convenient to heat water at the beginning. You could always heat in the BK, then transfer to the MT, but I like to heat directly in my MT. Without grains, of course. Once my grains are added, I transfer over the heating ability to my HERMS coil.

I see no problems with your tank either.

Back