Making the Leap...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jweese74

Reaction score
I've just emptied out my primary, cleaned it, and put it away and I thought -- "Self, don't put it away, it'll get lonely! It needs some warm, lovely liquid to keep it happy" so I decided to come here.

My first brew was a kit "Coopers Real Ale", and the LHBS tossed in a bag of powder that premixed (I think it was some sort of DME, some hops, some dex, although not 100% sure) because they didn't have a kit of Coopers Brew Enhancer for it. Regardless -- it turned out nicely.

My second brew was a "Muntons Blonde", I added the DME, Honey, and Dex myself to it - still waiting to taste the results.

So, you might ask - what's with the topic "Making the Leap...". Have I made the leap, at least partially to extract brewing by going outside the bare kit? If so, what are the next steps to lose the kit entirely?

I'd absolutely love to try a milk stout (had one a number of years ago that was sweet, and tasted of vanilla - unfortunately I don't remember the name), or a Pilsen Urquel clone (yeah, broad spectrum). Are such brews even possible using extracts alone?

I understand you have steep grains, then add hops, etc. during the process, but is there some sort of how-to manual for timing, etc? Or recipes for morons?

So many questions - I'm definitely hooked, I just want to get bigger / better.

Welcome to the addiction......

Your next step could be a partial mash brew or you could take an even bigger leap into all grain. I would do the latter if I were you. I am kinda biased because AG is all I brew. A mush tun can be constructed for fairly cheap (depending on how much a cooler costs). Other than that there isn't much more to AG (once you understand mashing) than extract, and you have way more control over your final product. AG you can control maltiness, fermentability etc...

Again, welcome to the addiction

I've never used Cooper's or Munton's so I apologize if I'm entirely wrong but it sounds like what you're looking for is something like a northern brewer or AHS kit. If you've got a LHBS they've probably got some of their own recipe kits as well or at least carry brewer's best kits which I've had good results with. I know you said you want to lose the kit and these don't exactly fit that bill but keep in mind that what you brew from a given kit won't taste the same as what someone else brews from it. The typical kit from these places will include the specialty grains and liquid yeast as well as a detailed instruction sheet. Just ignore the parts saying primary for only 2 weeks and anything involving a secondary without adding things to the beer, dryhops and whatnot.

I think I may make an attempt at one of the extract recipes on this site, they all look so tasty however - such a decision. Where I'm getting stuck, and perhaps I just need to do a bit more reading/research, is what gets boiled, how long to boil, etc. I've seen that most of the recipes just include a list of the ingredients. I understand the hop timing when I see it, that's pretty straight forward if you ask me, but other than that - what gets boiled, what gets tossed in a (forgive, I don't remember the term) "teabag", etc.

I'll do some more reading for sure.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I think I may make an attempt at one of the extract recipes on this site, they all look so tasty however - such a decision. Where I'm getting stuck, and perhaps I just need to do a bit more reading/research, is what gets boiled, how long to boil, etc. I've seen that most of the recipes just include a list of the ingredients. I understand the hop timing when I see it, that's pretty straight forward if you ask me, but other than that - what gets boiled, what gets tossed in a (forgive, I don't remember the term) "teabag", etc.

I'll do some more reading for sure.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Generally, all the recipes are the same in technique. You steep the cracked grains in a grain bag in 150-160 degrees, and you can dunk it like a teabag if you want. I just stir to make sure the grains are wetted. You can do this in two gallons of water, if your pot is big enough to boil two gallons. Then lift the grainbag out after 20 minutes. You can drain it over the pot in a strainer, and then pour 170 degree water over it to rinse if you want to, but it's not required. Then bring that resulting liquid to a boil, and add the malt extract bring back to a boil. Add the first hops.

The "timing" of the hops works backwards. So, you add the first hops and set the timer for 60 minutes. As the time goes backwards, add the rest of the hops.

For example:

.5 ounce magnum 60 minutes
.5 ounce cascade 15 minutes
.5 ounce amarillo 5 minutes

You add the magnum when you start the timer at 60 minutes. When you have 15 minutes left on the timer, you add the cascade, and when there is 5 minutes left on the timer add the amarillo. When the timer hits 0, turn off the flame. Other ingredients with times are added the same way!

Here's a good online book to help: http://howtobrew.com/

if you buy a kit online it will come with instructions. if your steeping grains (they go in your bag) its usually like 30 mins at 155 or somthing then add your extract. if your going AG or partial mash, then usually mash somewhere around the same temp but for an hour. once you get the wort separated from the grains, then bring to a boil. when it starts boiling then you can add your 60 min hops, when you have 5 minutes left on the boil you add the five minute hops (some call for 30 min or w/e but you get it). some people use bags to get the hops out, some swirl while they are chilling the wort (post boil) to get the hops and junk to the middle then siphon around it. and some just dump all of it into the fermenter. i've done it all of these ways and they're all fine.

grains get put in a muslin bag or a reusable nylon bag and steeped at around 155 for thirty minutes. after that remove the grain and bring the stuff up to a boil. remove the pot from the heat and add your extract, stirring the whole time so it all gets dissolved and nothing gets scorched on the bottom of the pot. after the extract is added return it to the heat and when it starts to boil add your first hop addition for bittering and then start the count down from sixty minutes (bittering hops are said to be added at 60, get it?) from that point on, hops you add earlier to the beginning of the boil will give you more bitterness and less flavor and aroma, hops towards the end the opposite. the chemicals that produce hop aroma boil off quite quickly so if you want a strong hop aroma some need to be added in the last 5 or less minutes of the boil.

Most beers can be made as extract + specialty grain recipes. The pilsner would be tough because it's a lager and you would need good temperature control. Other than that Yooper gave the basics, it's really that easy.

Generally, all the recipes are the same in technique. You steep the cracked grains in a grain bag in 150-160 degrees, and you can dunk it like a teabag if you want. I just stir to make sure the grains are wetted. You can do this in two gallons of water, if your pot is big enough to boil two gallons. Then lift the grainbag out after 20 minutes. You can drain it over the pot in a strainer, and then pour 170 degree water over it to rinse if you want to, but it's not required. Then bring that resulting liquid to a boil, and add the malt extract bring back to a boil. Add the first hops.

The "timing" of the hops works backwards. So, you add the first hops and set the timer for 60 minutes. As the time goes backwards, add the rest of the hops.

For example:

.5 ounce magnum 60 minutes
.5 ounce cascade 15 minutes
.5 ounce amarillo 5 minutes

You add the magnum when you start the timer at 60 minutes. When you have 15 minutes left on the timer, you add the cascade, and when there is 5 minutes left on the timer add the amarillo. When the timer hits 0, turn off the flame. Other ingredients with times are added the same way!

Here's a good online book to help: http://howtobrew.com/

Great, this is what I was looking for; and a book to boot.

Thanks very much Yooper, this will help quite a bit. And thanks to all for the replies.

Latest posts

Back