Making StarSan in small batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckredbeard

Reaction score
Does anyone have a a quick reference for making StarSan in small batches? I regularly make just a gallon, but end up needing only about a pint.

I have a gram scale, so I could do this by weight. How much StarSan for a 1/2 gallon growler?

I use a syringe, the kind that is used for giving children medicine. If you ask the pharmacist they will probably just give you one. I use 3ml for a half gallon measuring pitcher.

flips

I just mix up about 2.5 gallons when I don't need more. It keeps for a LONG time in a covered bucket. I also keep spray bottles of it on hand, so I fill those (or refill them) when I mix up a fresh batch. I've had mixed StarSan in a bucket for over a month (two or three in fact) and it was still effective/good to use. Plus, it's easy to just dip something into a bucket with some in it than mix up more every time you're going to use some. :D

I save my gallon jugs from bottled water and fill them when I sanitize a keg. I date them and use the earliest date first.

I save my gallon jugs from bottled water and fill them when I sanitize a keg. I date them and use the earliest date first.

Did you see the thread where a person had one implode and get all over his nice floor (hardwood I believe)?? Better to use thicker plastic containers, IMO... I use a graduated, food safe, container/bucket from a restaurant supplier for mine. Mostly because it's graduated, clear and has a nice fitting lid that's not a PITA to remove. :D

I use a syringe, the kind that is used for giving children medicine. If you ask the pharmacist they will probably just give you one. I use 3ml for a half gallon measuring pitcher.

flips

Ditto on the syringe. I've got a larger one, like the kids medicine size, for 1/2 gal size mixes and up, and I've got a little one for mixing a cup to a quart for little jobs. Fortuantely my wife is a nurse so they're easy to get for me.

Store the stuff in glass containers. The biggest retailer in the world has these "cookie jars", clear glass and screw on top, and they hold a gallon.

Kind of on the same subject, we use an Oxyclean type, (TARGET brand) laundry additive, that contains sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate. Is this safe to use as a sanitizer/cleaner for fermenters, bottles, racking tubes etc?

Kind of on the same subject, we use an Oxyclean type, (TARGET brand) laundry additive, that contains sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate. Is this safe to use as a sanitizer/cleaner for fermenters, bottles, racking tubes etc?

If it is an Oxyclean generic then yes. I would double check the ingredients against Oxyclean or try contacting the manufacturer and ask if it is safe to use on food preparation items as a safe guard.

Does anyone have a a quick reference for making StarSan in small batches? I regularly make just a gallon, but end up needing only about a pint.

I have a gram scale, so I could do this by weight. How much StarSan for a 1/2 gallon growler?

I use a 32 oz spray bottle ($2-3 at Lowes) and mix 1.5 ml StarSan using a small medicine syringe ($3-4 at CVS).

6ml starsan to 1 gallon water or 4 quarts water
3ml starsan to 2quarts water or .5 gallons water
1.5ml starsan to 1 quart water or .25 gallons water

Back