Making my way to Great Lakes Brewing and Southern Tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apendecto

Reaction score
I've got a few days off of work next week so I thought me and the missuses would go on a beer road trip. We are near Detroit, Mi and our final destination is Lakewood, New York. Cleavland, Ohio is on the way so we figured we'd hit up Great Lakes Brewing as well.

Anyone who's been to or lives near by have any suggestions of great places to eat, best place to buy beer, cool things to see...stuff I'd be disappointed if I missed if I came back and found out it existed.

Thanks for your input.

I live in Cleveland, there's a lot of cool places around here! If youre coming into town, you should eat at Melt Bar And Grilled. There's 3 locations. Your best bet is to go to the one on Cleveland Heights, about 15 min away from GLB. GLB has a brew pub, but I'd recommend Melt. Melt has blown up over the last few years. They've been on the Foo network and Good morning America several times, Man Vs Food, etc. it's all gourmet grilled cheese, with an AMAZING beer list, also fairly priced.
If you go to great lakes, go across the street to Market Garden Brewery. They just opened last year, and I will confidently say their beer is better than Great Lakes, hands down.
Have fun in Cleveland, and I assume you're going to Southern Tier, it's amazing there! Be sure to take the tour there, it's only $8. But get there early!

Apendecto said:
Thanks. Any good spots that have a huge inventory of beer (to go)?

Not too sure about a huge inventory, but Simone's in Lakewood has a good selection, also Rozi's in Lakewood. Both are within 5-10 min from Melt's west side location. When are you making the trip?

This Friday. Thanks for the info. And if you (or anyone) has any more stuff to check out, let me know.

Thanks.

Apendecto said:
This Friday. Thanks for the info. And if you (or anyone) has any more stuff to check out, let me know.

Thanks.

If you wanted to hit another brew pub check out fat heads brewery and restaurant. One of the best brewers in ohio ( imho) also food is excellent.

24581 Lorain Road
North Olmsted, OH 44070-2170

Im with Teromous. Please post pictures if you can. I've been quite vocal on my blog about my new beer crush on Southern Tier. Love their brews.

If you wanted to hit another brew pub check out fat heads brewery and restaurant. One of the best brewers in ohio ( imho) also food is excellent.

24581 Lorain Road
North Olmsted, OH 44070-2170

Fatheads is a good place also. IMHO, I think their beer and food is a bit overpriced. Dont get me wrong, the beer is VERY good. Several award winning beers, however, for brewing their own supply, I dont see why they need to charge $6+ a glass. Still worth a visit though! Personally, i'd visit Market Garden before I went to Fatheads

Can you take a lot of pictures of Southern Tier and post them up here? They make some of my favorite beers but I've never had the chance to see their brewery.

Here are some pictures from when SWMBO and our friends went out there October 1, 2011. I got a little drinky, so i forgot to take a lot of pictures, but here's what i have!

Employee tap and bottling line in the background
Beer Tap Bottling line.jpg

Their large conical fermenters
Fermenters.jpg

Large wood sign at front door
Front Door.jpg

Everyone's Dream
Front Sign.jpg

Keg Storage/Distribution Room
Keg Storage Room.jpg

Can you take a lot of pictures of Southern Tier and post them up here? They make some of my favorite beers but I've never had the chance to see their brewery.

Found some more:

Oat Imperial Oatmeal Stout... Straight from the fermenter. Yes, please!
Oak Stout Fermenter.jpg

A pitcher of Pumking. I think $17, dream come true!
Pumking Pitcher.jpg

Another photo of the storage/distribution room
Storage Room.jpg

Lots of good places to see in Cleveland.
Great Lakes and Market Garden. While your there, check out the West Side Market. All within walking distance from each other and must see's.
On the west side, Fat Heads and Buckeye brewing have some great beers.
On the east side, Willoughby Brewing Co. is making some great beers.
Enjoy!
Bull

Copperpots_Brewing said:
Fatheads is a good place also. IMHO, I think their beer and food is a bit overpriced. Dont get me wrong, the beer is VERY good. Several award winning beers, however, for brewing their own supply, I dont see why they need to charge $6+ a glass. Still worth a visit though! Personally, i'd visit Market Garden before I went to Fatheads

I haven't been to market garden myself. Thanks for suggesting it, i think I will make the short trek up from sunny medina and check them out. Also $6 a beer is quite high for my taste too, thats why i brew my own, i can't afford some of these beers anymore. Cheers.

Buckeye Beer Engine in Lakewood (OH) also has an amazing beer selection as well as a few of there own brews, and fantastic burgers.

Back