Making my own clone, help with percentages

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teachtim

Reaction score
I've done a bunch of reading but still feel lost. I think I want between 7lbs and 10 lbs of malt extract but I'm pretty lost on how much of each. I'll do the majority in one or two base malts and then hopefully steep the rest of the grains. So I assume I'll use more Pale than the others but should it be 55% pale and then 10% Munich and 5% of each other malt listed?
I'm also foggy on how much of each hop and when.
I realize I need to experiment with this many times but if anyone can add some sort of percentage of one malt to another I'd really appreciate the help.
The ingredient list is below from the brewery website.

ALCOHOL CONTENT: 7.5% ABV BEGINNING GRAVITY: 17.5 Plato
ENDING GRAVITY: 4.0 Plato IBU: 28 COLOR: Rosy Red YEAST: German Ale HOPS: Mt. Hood, Crystal
MALT: Pale, Munich, Special Roast, Victory, CaraMunich I, CaraMunich II, CaraAroma, Cara-Pils, Chocolate

If I made my own clone, I would send the clone to work so I could stay home to brew (and drink).

Hope this helps. :)

Also, although I drink, I don't think I could make my own clone out of barley and hops. I would need to throw in some tools and a mountain bike, I think. YMMV.

Enough fun. It was unclear to me what beer it is that you are trying to clone. Is it in your post somewhere?

We need some more information about the beer you're trying to make. What category is this beer? Is it roasty in flavor? Malty? Chocolaty?

As for your 5% assumption, the answer is no, don't do that. If you add 5% choc malt and 5% special roast, it's going to be a stout, not something that's "Rosy Red."

Back