Making my first whiskey stout. Need a tip or two

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlassen

chefkevshomebrew
Reaction score
Ok, I'm new to the forum and to brewing. I'm on my 4th brew and decided to make a whiskey stout. A friend made one and added his wood chips and whiskey to the second fermentation. I was thinking about doing the same. Others told me just to soak the chips and just add chips. Thoughts?

Soak 4oz of chips in 3-4 jiggers of whiskey in an airtight container in the fridge when the beer goes in the fermenter. Leave it in the fridge till the beer hits Fg & clears. Por the chips & whiskey through a sanitized hop sock into secondary,tie it off,& drop it in. Rack the beer onto that. Leave it for a week,then take a 1 shot sample to see ig it's where you want it.

311268_2496179699634_1756998713_n.jpg

4 oz chips soaked in 375 ml of 101. Just bottled, but tasting I think there's too much whiskey.

I did 20 ozof Irish whiskey w vanilla beans soaked in it for 3 weeks. Added at bottling. Tastes pretty good. Will take a bit longer to remove the hotness of the whiskey though. Each week it gets better.

Ended up using 4 oz of toasted jack chips and soaking them in about a pint of jack. They will soak for a week. I'm going to add it to the second ferment.

This is one of my favorites to make. I use Jameson whiskey. 3.5 ounces soaked in oak chips. I do not bother with hop sack. I just dump them straight in after fermentation. I do dip the whole container in sanitizer before opening and dumping. Very easy to siphon with oak chips. The whiskey barrel I let set for 5 weeks before testing. It ages nicely. The longer it sets the better it is.

I'm sure what I did was technically wrong or horribly bad practice, but I used a slightly different technique for a IIPA recently.

I got a couple of bags of oak and apple chunks from a moonshine distillery. The chunks had been used to oak age moonshine in a stainless vat, so they cautioned me to not toss them in a gas grill because they'd explode with all the residual 'shine still in the wood.

We brewed a batch of IIPA, put appx 5 gallons of wort into the primary (on top of a yeast cake - SHOCK - double bad practice in one batch?!?) and took about a gallon and pitched it into a 2 gallon bucket on top of a few chunks of apple and oak. I reserved a small amount of yeast slurry for the 2 gallon split and pitched it directly and let it ferment on top of the wood.

I didn't assume that it would work perfectly, but I checked on the second bucket after the main batch finished and was surprised to find that it wasn't infected and tasted pretty darn good. The wood flavor was huge, but I figured it'd balance nicely once integrated with the main batch, so I racked it off into a pot and gave it a 15 minute boil just in case.

If we weren't pressed for time, I would have done a secondary of the combined beers since there was a little bit of sediment from the wood, but I just added my priming sugar to the wood-aged portion when boiling it, then dropped both in a bottling bucket and packaged.

The beer has aged very nicely over the last month and it's HUGE flavor country.

Back