Making my first stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flabyboy

Reaction score
I just received a kit for an Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout from Austin Homebrew Supply. The recipe calls for a mash temp of 150. Is this normal for a stout?? Seems kind of low to me. Don't want this thing to taste like cider

The Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout is pretty dry as I recall, and you're most likely using a low-attenuating English yeast, so that's not too surprising really. Raise it to 152* if you really want, but I wouldn't go much higher. I'm not sure why a lower mash temp would make it taste like cider.

indigi said:
The Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout is pretty dry as I recall, and you're most likely using a low-attenuating English yeast, so that's not too surprising really. Raise it to 152* if you really want, but I wouldn't go much higher. I'm not sure why a lower mash temp would make it taste like cider.

I'm going to use the Wyeast London Ale III yeast and do an open fermentation. I just don't want it to dry. I always felt SS Oatmeal Stout had a touch of sweetness to it

Drinking one right now. It doesent seem to be sweet,but not real dry either,with just a touch of tangyness at the end. Not the smoothest stout,but quite well balanced.

image-1791041644.jpg

Its been open for a couple days. Ain't it pretty?

i always kinda wanted to do an open fermentation, just never had the balls to go through with it. tell us how it comes out

Just moved this into the secondary after 3 days. Skimmed the Krausen a few times. Its amazing how quickly a new one forms. Gravity went from 1.056 to 1.018 in 48 hours.

So this experiment turned out really well. The stout was drinkable within a month. My only regret is not mash at a higher temp. The recipe called for 150. I mashed at 151. It just doesn't have the mouthfeel I was looking for. The open fermentation experiment went well and was a fun experience. I will probably try it again with a hefewezien this spring

Back