Making Eggnog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickTheGreat

Reaction score
Does anybody else on here make eggnog? I tried my hand at it in 2019, using Alton Brown's recipe.

https://altonbrown.com/recipes/aged-eggnog/
Basically a dozen egg yolks, a pound of sugar, a bunch of dairy and a bunch of alcohol. :cool:

The raw egg thing is kinda weird, mentally, but it tastes really good. I'm not a huge fan of commercial eggnog, but this is quite different.

I ended up putting my 2019 batch in bombers, and still have a couple of them in the beer fridge. It tastes good now, but I'm not sure how comfortable I feel about drinking 2-year old milk and eggs. :ghostly:

I made a new batch last night, and will try to drink it faster!

Anywho, I figured I wasn't the only weirdo who'd tried this. I did a search but couldn't find much on here. :mug:

This was the first time in 5 or so years in which we did not make a big batch of Brown's eggnog. Good stuff. I've drank it up to a year old. It gets better until 6 months or so, then plateaus.

Late to the party but I still have 3 year old nog and very good. There are stories from long ago of dairy liquors being aged for years. One is finding a stash in Dickens cellar after his death. Aging of these liquors we're common.

The following recipe I increase the booze by 50% :) It also used raw milk and I'm not dead yet. This recipe was from a defunct webpage called confectilism.com. I also add whipped cream topped with nutmeg. Definitely needs to age at least 3 months but in a pinch is still good fresh. I follow normal nog sous vide style with these

Ingredients
    • 4 Large egg yolks, fresh
    • 8 Large eggs, fresh
    • 4 cups whole milk
    • 2 cups heavy cream
    • 1 Tablespoon Pure vanilla extract
    • 1½ cups confectioners (powdered) sugar
    • pinch of salt
    • 3 cinnamon sticks
    • 6 whole cloves
    • ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, plus additional for garnish
    • alcoholic variation - 2 cups bourbon whiskey* and ¼ cup Amaretto
    • whip cream for garnish

• I take this recipe and follow these time and temps in a sous vide. You don't have to sous vide. I just have it handy and supposedly smooths/ages it quicker.
    https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-eggnog

• Some info on adding booze and clotting. Basically add your booze to the dairy and not the other way around.

• The Scientific Formula for Perfect Eggnog
I just read this article the other day and the equal parts bourbon, cognac and rum sounds good. I do like the amerretto in my recipe. 🤔Maybe time to up my recipe

https://punchdrink.com/articles/in-search-of-ultimate-best-eggnog-recipe/
For me the top recipe is my go to recipe and very happy with.

Still time for New Years.

Last edited:
I made homemade eggnog once, a few years ago. While it was very good and was fun to say I made it myself, I probably wouldn't do it again unless there was a commercial eggnog shortage at christmas time.

Back