Making cloudy, yeasty beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmorrison

Reaction score
So many techniques are meant to encourage flocculation, and produce clearer beers, but what if somebody likes their beer to have the greatest concentration of yeast possible? What can be done to keep a beer very yeasty at drinking time?

Are there certain strains you prefer to taste a great deal of in a yeasty style of beer (for instance, maybe Wyeast 3068 in a Weihenstephaner clone)?

lumpher said:
no irish moss, let it slowly cool after brewing, slowly cool it to drinking temp

I disagree about cooling slowly. As a no-chiller, my beers end up very clear (when yeast allows for it) even though it takes 18 hours to cool. I get a lot of break material in my kettle post boil.

Low flocculating yeast is of course the most important thing. I've heard of people rolling the bottle on the table to stir up the sediment before opening...

I would not rely on just omiting things people do to make their beer clear. I don't use Irish moss, and although I chill pretty rapidly now, I didn't use to... and my results were definitely not cloudy.

You could try swirling the carboy at bottling time to get some of the trub back into suspension... but I won't promise that won't ruin your beer in some way!

as far as I know, eliminating processes and ingredients that are meant to help with cold break has no impact on the yeast in suspension post-fermentation.

if you want cloudy beer, then yes, eliminating Irish moss and trying not to produce a very good cold break might help. if you just like the taste of yeast or are trying get some more b-vitamins in your diet, then I'd recommend bottle conditioning and swirling to resuspend the yeast at serving time.

just drink it out of the bottle, that will kick up the yeast while you drink.

From BJCP 2008 Guidelines for Weizen:

"A beer “mit hefe” is also cloudy from suspended yeast sediment (which should be roused before drinking)."

You just roll/swirl the settled yeast from the bottom of the bottle before drinking...

ayoungrad said:
From BJCP 2008 Guidelines for Weizen:

"A beer “mit hefe” is also cloudy from suspended yeast sediment (which should be roused before drinking)."

You just roll/swirl the settled yeast from the bottom of the bottle before drinking...

+1 should be cloudy from yeast, not from a chill haze

If one were to rinse yeast from a secondary, then pitch that yeast into a new batch of wort, is it likely that the yeast fermenting the second batch would be particularly non-floccuating? Might these yeast also prefer lower concentrations of neighbors in suspension? I wonder if there is a way to train yeast to stay in suspension, and also stay in high concentrations.

dmorrison said:
If one were to rinse yeast from a secondary, then pitch that yeast into a new batch of wort, is it likely that the yeast fermenting the second batch would be particularly non-floccuating? Might these yeast also prefer lower concentrations of neighbors in suspension? I wonder if there is a way to train yeast to stay in suspension, and also stay in high concentrations.

Yes. But I think it would take a few generations. Selecting for non-flocculating yeast is definitely possible (though I'm certainly not the person to ask about it...)

Back