Making bartenders obsolete one step at a time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_c_zero

Reaction score
Kind of an interesting concept, don't know if it would ever take off or not though...

Tired of waiting for the bartender to simply pour your beer while he's busy making a half dozen martinis? You'll want this beer tap technology to make its way to your local drinking hole soon. iPourIt allows bars and restaurants to place their beer taps out from behind the bar and make them freely accessible to customers—all while not immediately being driven out of business by freeloaders.

That's because iPourIt uses RFID, just like these boozy hackers, to keep unauthorized customers (i.e., lushes or children) from activating the taps. Customers get RFID bracelets that trigger the beer taps to work, while the system tracks how much beer each customer pours—down to 1/100ths of an ounce—and runs a meter that you pay off at the end.

Pouring your own beer at will; sounds like a free-for-all, right? Luckily (for employees) limits can be set for each bracelet, and the bar can deactivate the RFID as well. Now if only it'd let you get yourself a buyback.

http://gizmodo.com/5994215/ipourit-who-needs-bartenders?tag=booze

I can see it being a problem for people who drink too much. Imagine that some plastered person wants more beer, but they've reached their limit. They go up expecting to get beer, but get denied by the RFID bracelet. If no staff (such as a bouncer) is around and the drunk starts harassing other patrons to get beer for them it could be a problem.

It's a cool idea, but I'm not hip to any RFID chips. I wouldn't frequent any establishment like that.

I can see it being a problem for people who drink too much. Imagine that some plastered person wants more beer, but they've reached their limit. They go up expecting to get beer, but get denied by the RFID bracelet. If no staff (such as a bouncer) is around and the drunk starts harassing other patrons to get beer for them it could be a problem.

It's a cool idea, but I'm not hip to any RFID chips. I wouldn't frequent any establishment like that.

Not to mention stealing other people's RFID chips.

I think the better solution is to frequent a good beer bar and tip well. The bartenders will look for your empty glass.

Forward thinking but the idea could use a little more polishing.

Plus, I go out to bars so I don't have to pour my own beers :mug:

i've been in the food service/bar business for 10 years, and more often than not, if you really need that next beer that quickly, you have a wee bit of a problem. This is grounds for abuse big time. It's our job as bartenders to make sure that our patrons have fun, as well as are safe. If we can't regulate your level of intoxication, or can't truly regulate the amount of alcohol you consume, we are liable for any event that may occur. Just relax. You are out in public and being served alcohol. Life could be worse.

There is a place near me called Townhouse Kitchen that has this. It is actually a very cool concept. In the booths along the wall they have a 4 tap set up. 3 beers and vodka. They bring you mixers for the vodka if that is what you'll be drinking. This isn't really used by drunks (as far as I see) but rather it is a fun group night out. The place gets packed so waits for drinks can be excessive and it is like bottle service at a night club with draft beer.

I believe Friscos in Columbia md has this. They never have it out for general use, but I believe they will use it for private functions. Why you would want to use this and limit yourself to 2 taps versus 50 I have no clue.

A bar in Center City Philly just opened with this. I believe you select what beer you want off of an ipad that is mounted over the tap. Tap your bracelet thingy and you're good to go. Seems like a cool concept. But with anything, it can be abused.

I'm surprised this is legal. In Missouri, at least, employees of the bar or restaurant in question need to have a liquor card to pour or serve any drinks. But apparently anyone can just walk off the street and do it?

I guess, when have liquor laws ever really made sense?

Your bar serves Martinis? Mine serves beer with a sign that lets everyone know the can "Get the hell out".

jesserizzo said:
I'm surprised this is legal. In Missouri, at least, employees of the bar or restaurant in question need to have a liquor card to pour or serve any drinks. But apparently anyone can just walk off the street and do it?

I guess, when have liquor laws ever really made sense?

In this case, the "server" issues you the RFID bracelet--checking ID, etc.

I saw an episode of Bar Rescue where something like this was installed, the new bar was meant to be a classy place catering to the many white-collar workers in the immediate area. I think the idea is that when people will go spend 10 dollars on food and another 12-15 for three beers, it's nice to have an extra gimmick, kind of like bottle service.

So this may seem like a 9 year old necrothread, but this is literally the first time I've used an ipourit station. My local Round Table installed one and it was confusing to say the least figuring out how it worked and then when I asked for a pitcher the beer ran out. So you may say: why don't the folks know how to change kegs? Well, I have the answer: ipourit takes the humans out of the equation. These employees make pizza. No one trained them on how to troubleshoot the beer dispensing system.

It's damn stupid.

Personally I've been getting pissed off at the 'self-checkout's that are unemploying folk who I need to ring me in because my injury makes me a stupid person who has immense difficulty with those things. Prior to my injury, despite the bartender seeming to gab endlessly to 'more attractive' people while I was waiting for a drink, the socialization with staff was an important element in my close-knit demographic...what this dead thread was about sounds horrifying to me!
I like what you have to say and it is very relavent and worth repeating to those that can hear. ...otherwise I was gonna post this:
evildeadcellar.jpg

Only included for fun. ;) :ban:
:mug:

These devices would be illegal in Finland as drinks can only be sold in bars by qualified bartenders.
No alcohol-pass, no bar job for you. (This includes waiters in restaurants).
We tend to have different bardesks for cocktails thought.

I've used these a few places. Never seen problems with people getting out of hand because they can't drink more. Usually they go into quieter environments. I recall seeing them in a place in Kansas City several years ago on a crowded Saturday night. It was a little chaotic at first trying to figure out what was on tap and how to get it poured with so many people but once you figure out how to use it, it's really simple. The reason I don't like these systems is the price for a pint is usually a lot more than buying a beer from behind the bar. I get places do that on flights because they are a PITA to put together but there's no option to buy an entire pint. It's kind of a fun idea when you want to try a bunch of beers or try mixing beers but once the novelty wears off you're paying a lot more money to serve yourself pints.

We have at least one place locally here in 'Hopville USA' and it's become my regular place to hit for checking out new brews. So simple that even I can use it, and allows me the ability to grab a 1oz sample of beers I typically wouldn't order in a flight. I also can walk up whenever I'm ready for my next pour.

At this place (The Tap in Yakima, WA) most of the beers are priced below what I'd pay over on the wet side, and I'm able to pour myself a full serving for any of the beers they have available on the 45ish taps. Staff is friendly, we tip well, and the atmosphere is relaxing most of the week when not a peak time when every seat inside and out is full.

I wish more places had this system (or similar), and in my travels I actively seek out new places that do

A place nearby that had self serve beer closed down. Not likely because of the.beer taps, but their food and service was subpar. The self serve beer was charges by the ounce which is okay, but the cost for a full pint added up. As far as, people drinking too much getting out of hand the access card had a cap of $20 to get more on it required a talk with the bartender. It was no big deal.

I saw one of these when I was in Minneapolis in 2019 (Union 32 in Eagan) but I keep ordering beer from the the bar. The bar tender said I could use the "beer wall" if wanted but they priced it at per ounce poured and it was cheaper to have him pour a pint and let him do the work for me. I don't remember if it was flat price at the beer wall or not, which might account for my cheaper per pint beer.

Back