Making alcohol with Jaggery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaggery

Just reading about this as an ingredient...any idea if it would be possible? It's a massively unrefined sugar without molasses etc seperated and the process behind it is 100% natural, i'm thinking it would produce an interesting result. It's also said to have a "winey" fragrance, so that could be great!

I'm all about the Jaggery in This Thread.

I used it in the boil, along with datepalm syryp and even primed with Jaggery Mollasses.

76465_453781254066_620469066_5475195_8172048_n.jpg

There's some info on it in the thread.

Looks cool - should be very easy to pick up around here too. I recently also reailised that Molasses are called Treacle here. After I went to 3 supermarkets to look for them, that is. I might try it in a cider or something! What sort of character does it add?

I've used jaggary instead of honey to see how it works for mead making. It ferments very quickly in comparison, both times finishing fermentation and clearing in less than 5 months. It ends up with a very dark look and a smokey molasses flavor similar to a bourbon whiskey, but not nearly as potent (approx 12-16% alcohol). I don't care for it personally, but a lot of my friends who have tried it really enjoy it.

I've had a beer with jaggery before. It was totally covered up by the beer. However to make a mead-like beverage with it I think would be very interesting indeed.

Same thing as piloncillo. Probably find alot more recipes using that name i would guess if you were looking for more examples/references.

Back