Making a Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DylansDad

Reaction score
Hi,
Don't hate me for asking I'm only thinking of trying it because a friend drinks it all the time and it would be a cool gift.

How would one make a malt beverage like an Olde English?

As far as I know, the term "malt beverage" is used to get around the old law that "beer" could be no more than 5.5% ABV. You will want to brew something light in color with a lot of corn as an adjunct. I'd probably take the ABV up to 7%.

Go for a domestic 2 or 6 row malt. Maybe a LITTLE crystal for color and a malty backbone. Then a lot of corn. You can either use grits and do a cereal mash, or use flaked maize and add straight to your mash. I'd keep it around 20-25 IBU's. Use a lager yeast like Czech Pils.

Good point. I had completely forgotten that a malt is called a malt because of the high ABV.

Thanks for the tip and the reminder.

Heres a little recipe I whipped up in beersmith. Seems like it should turn out OK.

Batch Size: 5 gal
OG Estimate: 1.073
FG Estimate:1.019
IBU: 24
Color: 5 SRM
Boil: 60 Min

8 lbs pale 2 row or pils
5 lb flaked corn
.25 Cara-Pils/Dextrine
.125 Crystal 40

.75 Centenial @ 60 min
.25 Crystal @ 20 min

Wyeast 2007 or 2035 lager yeasts.

Mash @ 151 for 90 min.

Ah yes, the old search function. Had I done Malt Liquor instead of just Malt I would have had better results.

Thanks guys! This should be a fun experiment.

yeah, i was a little confused at the terminology as well. around here the beverage called "malt" is a milkshake made out of malted milk. although if it werent for potbelly's i think the term would've died out already.

"malt liquor" is pretty universal, though. curious to see how it turns out!

Back