Making a double brown ale. Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zrab11

Reaction score
So I'm looking to make a base double brown ale which I will then add chocolate and peanut butter to make a Reece cup inspired beer.

I've done some research on Browns and it looks like u can go the more traditional English route or the American brown ale route.

Well I'm kind of thinking of combining both. Maybe going more traditional malts and grains and then American hops. Or maybe switching that and going American grains and English hops.

I'm looking to hit a double brown ale that is close to 9.3% and 40ibu

This is my thoughts right now.

15# 6 oz - Maris Otter
2# 9oz biscuit malt
10oz Crystal 60
10oz Crystal 120
10oz chocolate malt

2oz fuggle at 60min
1oz Nugget 15min
. 5oz Nugget 5 min
. 5oz Nugget 1min

California yeast

So that is the English malts with American yeast and hops besides bittering.

This is my other idea

9# 2-row
1# Crystal 60
1# Crystal 120
1# oats Flaked
. 5# victory malt
. 25 chocolate malt

2oz fuggles 60min
1oz East Kent at 15min
.5 East Kent at 55 min

Nottingham yeast

So any help of if I should stick more traditional or do a hybrid would be much appreciated.

Id go with the first. The second is going to be closer to an american amber's grain bill. If you want to add chocolate and peanut butter (shudder) Id think you would want a grain bill that compliments them, which I think slightly sweet, nutty/toasty. Which the first one does. If brown malt is available to you, you may want to swap a lesser amount for the biscuit. (its 50-85L compared to 25L) It has a lovely nutty flavor.

I wouldnt worry about the late hops. They are just going to potentially clash with a chocolate peanut butter flavor. Both nugget or goldings are both rather restrained, so its not a big deal, but id use just enough for you to recognize it as beer.

Id lean towards using notty. Some mild esters will help with the chocolate.

In general, you are already using peanut butter and chocolate (on a base of a double brown 9% monster), any idea of traditional versus american is out the window. Use whatever ingredients support the flavor profile you are looking for, either domestic or imported.

I agree that the 2nd one will definitely not be brown colored or have the typical brown ale flavor.

As for the peanut butter, I'm guessing you researched around here and plan on using that powdered PB2? There's a number of threads on it. I've made 2 PB stouts and gave my input on one but couldnt find it so here's my advice:

Even with mutiple jars of PB2, its hard to get a great PB flavor to stick. Extracts work, but can be hit/miss and give artificial flavors. Here's my trick: Peanut Butter Captain Crunch. Seriously, the amount of preservatives in that stuff locks in the flavor and it survives the boil and fermentation. I tossed in 1 box into the mash and dry-puffed with another box in the fermentor. Worked great and beefed up the beers body too

I agree that the 2nd one will definitely not be brown colored or have the typical brown ale flavor.

As for the peanut butter, I'm guessing you researched around here and plan on using that powdered PB2? There's a number of threads on it. I've made 2 PB stouts and gave my input on one but couldnt find it so here's my advice:

Even with mutiple jars of PB2, its hard to get a great PB flavor to stick. Extracts work, but can be hit/miss and give artificial flavors. Here's my trick: Peanut Butter Captain Crunch. Seriously, the amount of preservatives in that stuff locks in the flavor and it survives the boil and fermentation. I tossed in 1 box into the mash and dry-puffed with another box in the fermentor. Worked great and beefed up the beers body too

Appreciate the advice on which recipe.

Yeah I already did some research on the peanut butter and was going to go the powdered pb2 rroute but basically read I still needed to use a lot of it. Never came across the captain crunch idea but kinda like the idea and if u say it works I think I'll give it a try!

So did you crush the cereal at all? Or just leave whole pieces of captain crunch in the mash?

Id go with the first. The second is going to be closer to an american amber's grain bill. If you want to add chocolate and peanut butter (shudder) Id think you would want a grain bill that compliments them, which I think slightly sweet, nutty/toasty. Which the first one does. If brown malt is available to you, you may want to swap a lesser amount for the biscuit. (its 50-85L compared to 25L) It has a lovely nutty flavor.

Thanks for the help. I'll go with the first recipe.

You mentioned switching out some of the biscuit malt for brown malt. I have 2lbs 9oz of biscuit malt right now. Would you suggest cutting that in 1/2 and doing 1lb 4 oz of biscuit and 1lb 4oz of Brown malt?

A pound of brown malt goes a long way. I'd keep it low, maybe half a pound if it's the first time you try using it, or you might end up with a porter with identity issues.

A pound of brown malt goes a long way. I'd keep it low, maybe half a pound if it's the first time you try using it, or you might end up with a porter with identity issues.

I have made 3-4 porters. Really looking to nail the Brown ale/Double brown ale style so I will make sure I use the brown malt sparingly as to not become a porter

Back