Making a cider with brettanomyces?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JollyMungin

Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody has tried this. I've never made a cider before and was wondering how this would be? Also, if it would be able to be cellar'd? Thanks in advance and sorry for my ignorance

Many old world farmstyle ciders have brett elements to them, those that I have tried which exhibit brett characteristics were mainly wild fermentation where the primary yeast strain and flavors come from the standard Saccharomyces and a sequential/secondary brett influence.

The only 'modern' ciders with brett I have tried were by accidental infection. Not all were terrible, but since US ciders tend to be lighter the brett influence come through as more 'funk' than the heavy earthiness that comes through with some EU ciders.

I believe there is a place for Brettanomyces in the modern cider makers toolkit. Light brett characteristics balanced with acidity and what I would consider more than typical residual sweteness for your preferred cider can result in a more full bodied cider.

I actually just finished a cider that got an unintentional Brett "infection."

I racked for bottling before realizing I had forgotten to buy bottles, so the cider sat in the bottling bucket for a few days until I could get to the homebrew store. When I finally got my bottles and opened the bucket to pitch the priming sugar, there was a thin film on top.

I was freaking out thinking it was a bacterial infection, but after some frantic research it turned out it was Brett. It was clearly in the very early stages, and my cider was very dry, so I figured there was a pretty low risk of bottle bombs and bottled anyway.

I am so glad I did! The Brett gave the cider this incredible sour flavor that my ciders have never had before. Almost like a Petrus Oud Bruin, but a little sweeter.

I'd say definitely try it out, but since Brett is technically a wild yeast, be careful there isn't too much residual fermantable sugar left if you are going to carbonate in bottles.

I just did a 100% Wyeast Brett B cider - and I'm loving it. Subdued earthy and fruity notes, there was a little sulfur in the nose, but that subsided after a couple of weeks. Definitely making a larger batch.

My first batch was with the Granny Smith apples from my backyard and Brett Lambicus. Damn it was TART but, having used only Gma Smith, that was to be expected. The last time i tasted it was a month aged and it has begun to develop an interesting funk and that sour taste typical of Lambic brews.

Brett, IMO, requires aging. It subtly changes over time. Don't make this if you are going to have a hard time resisting drinking it. I have one bottle left and I am trying my BEST to cellar it until next year when my tree produces again. The others just didn't seem ready, but again this could have been because of my choice in apple.

Also, don't make this if you want a sweet cider because Brett just goes buck wild on sugar.

Definitely give it a go, I'm going to try it again, but next time on a sweeter, more mild combination of apples to get a hopefully more relaxed taste.

Latest posts

Back