Making a beer from a Barleywines second runnings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomas2357

Reaction score
Thinking of brewing up this recipe this weekend and I wanted to get some ideas on what kind of beer could I make with the a second running of these grains and a possible addition of other grains to this mash tun:

American Barleywine

Ingredients for 7 U.S. gallons (26.5 liters)

21.7 lb (9.84 kg) Maris Otter

1.4 lb (635 g) 60° L crystal malt

1.4 lb (635 g) dextrin malt

0.8 lb (362 g) 90° L crystal malt

0.6 lb (272 g) 120°crystal malt

1.7 oz (48 g) Chinook pellet hops, 11% a.a. (60 min)

1.4 oz (40 g) Chinook pellet hops, 11% a.a. (45 min)

1.2 oz (34 g) Centennial pellet hops, 8.7% a.a. (30 min)

0.8 oz (23 g) Centennial pellet hops, 8.7% a.a. (15 min)

0.8 oz (23 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5% a.a. (15 min)

1.2 oz (34 g) Chinook pellet hops, 11% a.a. (dry)

1.2 oz (34 g) Centennial pellet hops, 10.5% a.a. (dry)

1.2 oz (34 g) Cascade pellet hops, 5% a.a. (dry)

White Labs California Ale WLP001 (2L starter)

Forced CO2 to carbonate (2.3 vol)

1.25 tsp gypsum (in mash)

1 tsp Irish moss (in boil, 15 min)

1 capsule Servomyces yeast nutrient

Original Specific Gravity: 1.112

Final Specific Gravity: 1.023

Boiling time: 90 min

IBUs: 96

SRM: 19

Directions

Single infusion mash at 150° F (66° C) for 90 minutes. Used 1qt/lb. 90 minute boil. Pitch yeast at 70° F (21° C). Drop to 64° F (18° C) for two days then let temperature rise to 68° F (20° C) for 26 days. Rack to secondary and dry hop for 2 weeks at 66° F (19° C).

Traditionally when partigyling, they always mixed the runnings in different proportions for the different beers. Every beer had some of the first good runnings. So the beer may taste a bit weak.

That said, the %s arent that far off for a special bitter/esb depending on the 2nd runnings gravity. Just bitter to 40 IBU, and use a handful or three of goldings at flame out /and or dry hop. Ferment with a flavorful english yeast. Say 1469.

in my experience you have to kind of fly by the seat of your pants in the sense that you need to discover what the gravity of the second beer is going to be before you'll know how to hop it.

as far as "what kind" of beer it will be - well, it's not going to be a stout! it'll be a lower gravity version of the barleywine. You say it's an American Barleywine but the grain bill looks more like an English Barleywine to me, anyway. I'd hop the low beer with some EKG/Fuggles/Willamette and get a Bitter out of it.

I do what you're describing pretty often. After running off the big beer, I add 4 gallons more water at 160* and let that sit while I'm boiling the Big Guy. I usually get 4 gallons of 1.030 to 1.035 (or so) of the small beer. Going by your grain bill above, I think that would make a pretty nice English Ordinary Bitter with some East Kent Golding hops at 20' and 5', plus whatever bittering at 60'.

Just be prepared to adjust on the fly. Have some extra DME on hand to bump up the gravity if you need to. Have fun with it, the small beer is basically free, so if it isn't great, then who cares?

EDIT: Motobrewer beat me to it, but I agree with what he said.

Thanks for the replies. Would you recommend adding in a bit more crystal before mashing the second batch?

Thanks for the replies. Would you recommend adding in a bit more crystal before mashing the second batch?

Probably wouldn't hurt, but you'd be adding more crystal to what is a pretty small beer. I'd add more 2-Row or another base malt before I would add more crystal personally.

What you're describing is called 'capping' the mash, by the way.

This is home brewing you can make this more/less complicated if you wish (may not be true partigyl if you care). Yes you can add more grain to the mash tun or steep specialty grain in the second beer running's to get verity.

The second beer will just about always be seat of your pants brewing unless you take good notes for recreation.

IMO I like the simpler barley wine grain bills with 1 crystal malt and 100+ min of total boil time.

:mug:

Brewed this weekend and was able to get about 5 gallons of second runnings from the barleywine. The post boil OG was 1.040, which I didn't think was bad considering I didn't add any additional grain or DME. Hopped with Willamette, Fuggle, and EKG. Tried to make a English Bitter, so should be fun to see how it turns out.

Thanks for all the advice!

Brewed this weekend and was able to get about 5 gallons of second runnings from the barleywine. The post boil OG was 1.040, which I didn't think was bad considering I didn't add any additional grain or DME. Hopped with Willamette, Fuggle, and EKG. Tried to make a English Bitter, so should be fun to see how it turns out.

Thanks for all the advice!

That's about what I get when I partigyle. Congrats!

Wanted to give an update on this beer. We fermented it with WLP001, mostly because that was what we had around. It fermented down to 1.004! Which made it a pretty strong session beer at 4.8%. When we first took the lid off the fermenter, I thought we were going to get knocked out from the hop and alcohol like fume. That initial smell had me thinking this was not going to be a good beer. But couldn't have been more wrong, it's been one of the best beers we've brewed to date. Wish we could easily repeat it, without making the Barleywine. Hope this bodes well for the Barleywine, which is still fermenting.

Back