Make the OG higher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PereFecto

Reaction score
Hi

I'm just done with mashing a cream ale with jalapenos ( according from one recipe I saw here ) and My OG is only 1040. How can I rapidly make it higher ? Adding DME ? Take the wort and boil it with more grain ?

Please help rapidly :drunk:

Many thanks

Well, you can make the OG higher by adding more fermentables. Depending on the recipe, a pound of corn sugar might work or some malt extract. I wouldn't reboil the wort, though- that would mess up your hop schedule. You could dissolve your addition in a little water, bring to a boil, and cool.

I'd be inclined to leave the recipe alone, probably, but if you feel that you have to increase the gravity, a pound of dry extract would give you 9 OG points. A pound of corn sugar would give you about the same.

If you want to post the recipe, we could give you more specific advice.

Here , thanks for the help !

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Wyeast 1056
Yeast Starter: yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.011
IBU: IBU 42.6
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14 days @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 days @ 68F

7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
1.00 lb Corn, Flaked
1.00 lb Vienna Malt
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1.00 oz Cluster [7.0%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Liberty Leaf [4.3%] (25 min)
1.00 oz Liberty Leaf [4.3%] (15 min)
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 min)
7.00 items Jalapeno pepper (Boil 15.0 min) see notes
Wyeast 1056 or a neutral dry yeast

Mash 150F-152F for 60 minutes

What's your typical efficiency and what's the efficiency posted on the recipe you found? But yeah, like Yoop said you can raise the OG by adding fermentables, whatever you choose them to be.

Personally, I'd leave it alone to ensure it's balanced. Adding more DME (or other fermentables) will cover up some of the hops and make the beer seem sweeter.

Without plugging it into a program, I would assume given the amount of grains you are using 1.040 is probably about right (probably about 65-70% efficiency). I wouldn't want to mess with the recipe by adding a lot of additional fermentables, if anything, just boil an extra 20-30 min and end up with a little less wort. Also, be aware that if your gravity is off by a lot from the recipe it will throw your bitterness off too. You might want to scale the hop additions back by 10% or so to match your beer. If your OG is 20% less than you expected and you keep the same hop schedule you may end up with a significantly more bitter and hoppy beer than you want.

Just something to think about.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back