Make starter or pitch packs? 3711 saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcmccoy

Reaction score
I have 2 packs of 3711 saison yeast im going to make a 10 gal batch and split into 2 carboys its going to be 1.050 wort. mr malty says I should add both packs and make a 1.8 L starter. But I have brewed a saison of equal strength and pitched just 1 pack at 65 and let rise to 75 it got down to 1.005.

So my question: pitch a pack on each carboy. make a 2L starter with 1 pack or make a 1.8L starter and pitch both packs and split the starter into each carboy?

Personally, I'd make the starter. I like to pitch plenty of yeast cells.

Jcmccoy said:
I have 2 packs of 3711 saison yeast im going to make a 10 gal batch and split into 2 carboys its going to be 1.050 wort. mr malty says I should add both packs and make a 1.8 L starter. But I have brewed a saison of equal strength and pitched just 1 pack at 65 and let rise to 75 it got down to 1.005.

So my question: pitch a pack on each carboy. make a 2L starter with 1 pack or make a 1.8L starter and pitch both packs and split the starter into each carboy?

If it were me, I'd probably just pitch one smack pack in each. In my experience, 3711 seems to be a pretty good workhorse and I don't think you'll run into any issues getting it to fully attenuate. I also like to slightly under pitch my saisons; seems like it results a more traditional flavor profile (more flavor contribution from the yeast). Assuming the smack packs are relatively fresh, I'd skip making a starter on this style.

Latest posts

Back