Mailbox Cooked Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimmyR

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
1.5 lbs of hops sat in my mailbox for over 24 hours. Temps outside my black, metal, mailbox were 90+. All packaged in Foodsaver-type bags. Varieties are Citra, Centennial, Liberty.....

Should I just pitch them? I hate to throw out $50 but will not waste a 12-gal batch them if they are trash.

Open a pack up and give then a good smell. If they smelly cheesy then throw them out. If there is no offensive odor to them I think that they should be fine to brew with. The only thing I would worry about is that they might not be as potent as they once were. Heat and Light dimish the potentance of hops over time.

Just my two cents
Redbeard5289

Checked two of the bags and they seem to smell fine. I assume the "cheesy" odor would be really obvious, so I think I am good to go.

Thanks...they live in the freezer anyway...they are all vacuum sealed and frozen. Thanks ajf.

TimmyR,

Glad to hear that your hops are ok. Just thought of this since I have a cold right now and can't really smell anything now.

Do a visual/touch test to the open pack of hops. If the hops look brownish instead of the normal green then they are going/gone bad. You can also put a couple of pellets in your palm and do a touch test. If they are spongy and crumble apart at the lightest handling then they are going/gone bad on ya.

Fresh Hop pellets are green in color, are firm to the touch and smell minty, citrusy, herbally, etc depending on the variety you are using.

Just my two cents
Redbeard5289

Back