Maibock fermentation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P_Bio

Reaction score
This is my first time trying to brew a bock, and I chose a maibock. I even did a decoction method for the first time to try and be "authentic". So I'm sure this will be barely drinkable!

It started at 1062 and I pitched a 2L starter of Wyeast 2206, bavarian lager and fermented at 50F. It's been a week and I took a measurement and it's at 1024, my estimated final should be somewhere around 1014.

Because I've brewed mostly ales, I'm used to being done in one week. Is it normal to take longer for these types of beer? How long should I expect it to be before it reaches its FG? I know...I know...when it doesn't change, it has reached is FG, but in general when should I expect it to be done fermenting?

There does appear to still be a good amount of krausen (nothing major, but it's there) so I'm guessing I need to wait? Maybe another week?

Thanks for the help!

Do a d-rest (raise temp 6-8 degrees for 2-3 days), but then you should lager for a while. my maibock (a helles) has been lagering for a couple weeks and I plan to let it go for another 6-weeks. If you have a fridge and can control temps, bring it back to 50 after the d-rest, then drop it a couple degrees every two days or so until you get down to mid-30s. Then let it hang for a week (or more). The lager yeast will slowly continue to ferment ... but mostly it will clean up flavors and clear - giving you a crisp smooth flavor.

All that said - I think you might have underpitched. You usually need to pitch about 4l starters for a 5-gallon batch of lager (vs 2l for 5gal ale - of course, gravity of beer is part of the equation).

Agree with MrBoz above. Lager that baby for 6 weeks or so and it will reward you with a good clean Maibock.

Also agree that you underpitched, but I did the same thing on my first one. Still was pretty good beer.

Latest posts

Back