Magnetism stir plate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

str8upbrad

Reaction score
I've used a stir plate with flask and Pit in this oval magnet which has stirred my yeast starter. I need to leave my yeast starter in the fridge for a few days. Is the magnet ok left in the starter I should I attempt to get it out somehow?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah, no issue leaving it in. Use a magnet to secure the stir bar to the side of the flask when you're pouring, that way, you don't pour the stir bar out with the starter.

When you say oval magnet, is it a teflon or plastic coated stir bar or just a metal magnet? And do you have any guesses for what type of metal if the later?

It's plastic coated.... Thanks for the help guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Cool, then you're fine to leave it in as the others say. I was worried there for a bit.

As the TheZymurgist says, magnet the stir bar to the side, preferably above the liquid line, so that you don't accidentally pour it out and so when you decant the liquid it doesn't move around and stir up your yeast.

Back