Magic hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright, i just did my second batch of all grain and i have been having some weird readings from the hydrometer. after i mashed out i took a reading and found out i had 6 gallons of wort at 1.054 after adjusting for temp (1.052 @ 80F), i topped off the kettle with a half gallon of h2o to account for boil off. but when i poured it into the carboy i had 4 gallons of 1.048. i lost about a gallon in my kettle to trub and protein because of a biiig break.

So where did those 84 GU's go to? and how the hell did i boil off 1.5 gallons of wort over a 70 min boil (20%+ per hour)

I use a bayou classic lp burner in a 40q pot, i am officially lost.

My boil off rate is close to yours. IMO you need to filter out the the trub to get more volume. I use a mesh bag and a 2.5 gallon plastic bucket.

That sounds about right. I just factor in the lost volume and increase the boil volume such that I have 5.0g going into the fermentor. I don't try to filter as I find it too much of a hassle but others - like Blender - do.

Back