Made my first mini-mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feedthebear

Reaction score
I brewed up my first mini-mead last night.

In a 1 gallon batch I used:
2.4 lb of orange blossom honey
0.4 lb of mint honey
0.2 lb of local honey

O.G. 1.122

I sampled all the honeys before I used them. I think the mint has to be my favorite.

I was trying to get a little of the mint and local flavor in it but not a lot of the color. Wow, was I wrong. The color is about that of apple juice. Is there a darkness beyond which a straight honey mead isn't supposed to go?

Also does any one have an idea about how long before this will be drinkable? I'm just wondering if there is any chance I'll be able to crack one open on Christmas and not have it taste like rocket fuel.

Well that sucks. Scratch that idea for Christmas presents.

I guess its a race between my mead and my pLambic as to which one is ready first.

Don't knock the idea of christmas presents just yet, make another few gallons and keep them until the christmas after this coming one. Then it'll be marvelous :)

mike

Yeah, the meads are not really for me. I like it and SWMBO likes it. But neither of us like it enough to want to drink it all the time. So I'm brewing them mainly as presents for my friends that appreciate them more than I do.

Besides, it gives me something to do while I'm waiting for my beer to bottles to carb and condition.

I was hoping to give them out this year. But they may have to settle for some Grand Cru.

After the ferm is done you can expect a 6 to 12 month bottling period before it really mellows. This does depend on the recipe. Just sample with each racking. Color is based on the honey. I would not suggest using too much buckwheat honey as it can look almost like a Stout.

I was curious and had to check where my gravity is. Its 1.076, which is about 37% attenuation so far, about 6% ABV. Not quite half way finished, assuming I get 75% attenuation.

The taste is wonderful though. Kind of like a weak, sweet Mojito made with orange rum.

What yeast did you end up using? I ask because some of them have no problem going to 16% ABV when given proper nutriants.. I have seen it happen, and from what I can tell it isn't too rare to have something go dry. Your potential ABV is 16ish I would guess your final gravity if you used a good wine yeast with proper nutriants to be no more than 1.002
But I could be wrong.. it has happend before

SpamDog

I used Wyeast 4184 (Sweet Mead). That was assuming 75% attenuation. That would get me about 12.4%.

The yeast description says it leaves 2% - 3% residual sugars. If that means 97% - 98% attenuation, then it will be more like 15.6%.

Back