Made a mistake with Wyeast 1332....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamoore

Reaction score
...I was trying the McDole 'dry hop at the tail end of fermentation' thing, and didn't realize just how SLOW this yeast was....

I'll normally be done fermenting in 3 to 4 days with 1056 or 1272, so when I got home after being away six days in the primary, I was positive It would be done, or damn near done. I popped the top, and saw an unusually thick krausen. Oh well, I'm sure it's nearly done! Especially after how violently it started, requiring a blow off tube.....

So I pitched 2 oz of pellets directly in, and sealed it back up.

Here I am twelve days, and it's still happily bubbling away, while the beer I brewed five days ago is fully fermented out (with 2nd generation 1056).

I guess I'll have to do better to know my yeast strains in the future, and make sure I know where I am rather than just guessing.

Now, here's kind of a question:

I'm pretty sure I'll be driving off some of the hop aroma putting the dry hop in so early. Would you consider throwing maybe another oz in there to replace what has been driven off?

Thanks!

I would take a sample, taste/smell it and add as needed after it has been done fermenting for ~ 7days.

I don't dry hop until the krausen has fallen and the beer has dropped clear (usually in secondary).

Back