Made a mistake - can I brew with un-millled grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSuesBrews

Reaction score
OK - I know this will seem like a stupid question. I accidentally ordered 10lbs of un-milled Belgian Pilsner. I have been told categorically that I cannot use the food processor to try to mill it. What are the chances of getting a low alcohol beer if I use it un-milled - will I get any sugars out of it?. I don't want to just throw it out and there is no home brew shop near me. I also think its too late to send it back as I've hung onto it for a couple of months now.

Maybe I'll just give it a go - a low alcohol saison or such like? Would I mash it for a lot longer perhaps? If so what temp? Any experience out there with this type of dilemma?

You'd be better off over crushing it in a food processor or blender than trying to get anything out of it unmilled. I would try to crush it as coarse as you can with whatever you have then use a bag to mash. I've heard of folks using a rolling pin but that sounds a little crazy with a full 10 lbs.

I'll go along with the food processor idea, but I would do small batches, maybe no more than two cups at a time.

You definitely don't want to brew with it unmilled. You'll get pretty much nothing out of it. As the others have said, small quantities in a blender or food processor will work. A little bit of grinding is all it will take, don't turn it into flour.

Using a rolling pin or empty beer bottle.. This will get the grains crushed enough to brew with. This would also be a good time to think about biting the bullet and purchasing your own malt mill.

Time for a grain mill. Get a Corona knock-off for $20 bucks. I got mine at Amazon. I've seen them at Walmart. They take a little fiddling around with but they're perfectly serviceable and will do you well until you feel like upgrading.

Use a hammer :). Get creative. Coffee grinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Did two lbs of grain with a rolling pin. Took and hr and my abs were killing from the downward pressure.
That is if you actually crush the grain with it.

An old manual coffee grinder is ideal though a little slow because of the size of the hopper. You can set that thing pretty coarse.

But a rolling pin does work in a pinch.

Hey, what about two large paving stones?

Time to get inventive because you definitely cannot use unmilled grain to brew.

Grinding 10lbs of grain by hand is going to suck. Your best bet is to put off brewday until you can get your hands on a cheap mill or have somebody mill it for you. You can pick one up on Amazon for about $30.

I used a food processor once. It took longer than expected, but it did the job. I was doing BIAB, so I didn't have to worry about a stuck a sparge.

Blender or food processor will work "fine" but give you a very fine crush. Do a cup or maybe even less at a time so that it still circulates in the machine. Use short pulses as it goes quickly and will get to fine powder if overdone. Stop when grain is well chopped and only very few whole kernels remain.

I used a blender once for the last two pounds of a grain bill once when I carelessly broke the drive bolt on my mill.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

I accidentally did this once for a 5 gallon batch of Pislner. For a BIAB, it came out at 2.3 ABV. Could have sold that in Utah! But buy a corona knock off. They can go for about $20 or rolling pin the crap out of it.

I ordered a 50lb bag that came not crushed...prompted me to buy a $30 corona mill. About 25lbs later my arm started to dread the work, so I motorized it. All it takes is the right size bolt and correct socket on the drill. I generally get about 75% efficiency with my system using this mill.

IMG_20140721_124636.jpg

IMG_20140721_125210.jpg

+1 on the Corona mill. I use a drill with mine (probably $4 more in parts) plus some duct work as a hopper, gets it done in 5 mins.

Another +1 for the Corona mill... I just put 120 lbs of grain or so through mine this weekend and it worked like a champ. One of the best values on brewing equipment I've had so far. Just rig it to take a cordless drill and you're golden!

Hi

I use a Corona knock off set it up with a drill but I'm not the most DIY orientated bloke so I'm now back to hand cranking it after the drill started smoking... Been through the rolling pin and food blender stages.... Just messy and sweaty I get through about 5 kgs per half hour and the biceps are coming on a treat!! Mill cost UK pounds 12 not sure what that is in your American Pounds but it's cheaper than a personal trainer!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back