Made a cider again .

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muntzster

Reaction score
I just finished another 5 gallon batch.
5-Gallons apple juice
About three pounds of honey
I used a liquid yeast, the guy at the homebrew shop said it would taste better.

After I was done i forgot to take a hydrometer reading so i popped the top and did it quickly, it was 1.55, hopefully i didnt contaminate anything. Now can someone explain to me how to take my next reading and find the ABV?

Thanks.

Muntzster said:
After I was done i forgot to take a hydrometer reading so i popped the top and did it quickly, it was 1.55, hopefully i didnt contaminate anything. Now can someone explain to me how to take my next reading and find the ABV?
Use a sanitized wine thief or a turkey baster to get some into your hydrometer jar.

I use this ABV Calculator

I'd wait at least 4 weeks before bothering to take a reading.

EdWort said:
Use a sanitized wine thief or a turkey baster to get some into your hydrometer jar.

I use this ABV Calculator

I'd wait at least 4 weeks before bothering to take a reading.

Ha four weeks its almost done fermenting, now my banana wine, its been fermenting for at least 3 weeks almost a month.

Muntzster said:
Ha four weeks its almost done fermenting.

Isn't that the idea? You want a Finished Gravity reading right?

I haved kegged a few ciders (Applewine) at 4 weeks only because of some brewfests. I'll now wait 2 months on a cider before kegging, but it took a while to get the o'l pipeline filled up. 1 in the keg carbing, 1 on deck already a month old, and a fresh one just started.

I haven't check the FG on a cider in a long time, but mine ferment out dry, so I'm expecting a 1.005 reading or lower.

Latest posts

Back