Made a Belgian Wit that tastes baaaad!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WholeHoppness

Reaction score
Well I made a belgian wit about a month ago and bought a smack pak from wyeast to go with it. The LHBS told me that it was ok to go ahead and throw the bitter orange peel in with the primary fermenter and it would be ok. Well, i smacked the pack about 5 hours before brewing at about 72 deg. in the home and no swelling. I thought hmm well cant let good wort go to waste so I read somewhere that you can just throw it in anyway and it would be allright. the wyeast was almost 3 months old from the manufacture date. one day no airlock bubble, 2 days no airlock bubble, 3 days no bubble then finaly on the night of the 3rd started bubbling. fermented like normal and when it was ready to transfer i opened the lid and the yeast on the top looked like a dried up cracked desert saharan floor. Racked it anyway and tasted awful. Was it the fruit or the yeast? Any thoughts?

Can you narrow down what you mean by "awful"? Describe the taste?

btw... only one of the beers I've made has really tasted good to me in the fermenter. I only sample them to taste for off flavors.

Well, with a 3 day lag time it's possible that you got a wild yeast (or bacteria) that got a foot hold before your yeast was able to take off. That could give you a sour taste and a bit of a "funk" to the flavor.
And just think... many folks try to do that on purpose and you came to it on accident! ;)

It also might just need a little more time to condition. I'd give it some space and see if it mellows out. If it doesn't, share it with friends who like sour beers and pretend you did it on purpose. They'll think you're amazing.

I've made a few decent ones allready. What am i saying they were GOOD. This one I passed around and no one liked it. Oh well. How long for the wait to smooth out? Ive got another trappist in one fermenter and a blue moon clone in the other. Yes I know I am trying it again but a little different. I kinda need the keg space :)

I'd see if there's any change after a few weeks. If you have the kegs, but not the space for them, you can take this one out to condition. Just make sure you check the pressure now and then. If it has a wild yeast or bacteria going in it, it may slowly ferment down further.

Back