Mad at SimplexGrinnell, alternatives for CO2 in Las Vegas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zolakk

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So for the past few years i've been taking my 5lb CO2 tank to SimplexGrinnell (by the airport) and it would be a 10 minute fill while you wait but last week when I went they said that I would need to leave it because there was nobody available, which was fair because it was around lunch time because of course they are only 8-5 M-F - I expected to be able to swing by the next day to pick it up.

They still have my tank a full week later and follow up calls either get "it's still not ready - don't call us, we'll call you" or dropped to a voicemail while they "check to see if there's someone back there" :mad::mad:. To make matters worse, it's my only tank (that I bought separately) and I have a batch waiting to be carbed and served next weekend at a party. At this point i'm ready to just go back and demand my empty tank back and take it elsewhere but i'm at a loss as to where to go.

Does anyone in Las Vegas have any suggestions, ideally that stay open until at least 6 (not holding my breath on that, but worth asking)? i'd rather fill than swap as my tank is practically brand new still - assuming i'll ever get it back. Also considering buying a 20# tank if the price is right and the tank is full and using my 5# as a backup

There's an alternative.

If you have the finished beer in a keg already you can add priming sugar to it and the yeast will make the co2.

An even better way that doesn't waste priming sugar is called krausening beer. The method consists of saving a percentage of the sanitized wort in the refrigerator or freezer. Then when the beer has attenuated adding the krausen back before kegging or bottling.

There's an alternative.

If you have the finished beer in a keg already you can add priming sugar to it and the yeast will make the co2.

An even better way that doesn't waste priming sugar is called krausening beer. The method consists of saving a percentage of the sanitized wort in the refrigerator or freezer. Then when the beer has attenuated adding the krausen back before kegging or bottling.

Thanks for the suggestion, and i'll probably wind up going that route but I still need CO2 to serve with... and at any rate moving forward I need to find a supplier that doesn't steal my tank and not return phone calls :mad:

Back