Mac Software question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lando

Reaction score
Been searching around and have not found the answer to my question.

Do the programs that run on mac offer recipes for extract only, or are they AG? I am not ready to make the plunge into AG, mostly due to equipment, but would like to come up with some of my own recipes for extract brews.
Preferably a program would be able to do both extract and AG recipes. :drunk:

umm...the sticky titled "Software Available" lists a ton of software...

near the top of the list is one called Beer Alchemy. This is a native OS X program. I've used the demo version and it does extract, AG and PM I believe. It should be fine for you to use. Download and try it free for 30 days or 7 launches.

I've downloaded 3 mac OS X programs and have been playing with them in the past week. Homebrew Formulator, qbrew, and Strangerbrew Java. I'm still extract only and the simplest of the 3 for my needs is qbrew and I've been building some recipes using qbrew. Strangebrew looks to be a robust program for all grain, but not needed until I make the switch. You seem to be in a similar mode of thinking at this point in time and I would recommend you download qbrew and start to play. You can select extract for the type of grain, pellets for the type of hops and there are a lot of preloaded malts, hops and yeast in the database. Yeast is found in the Miscellaneous section.

All in all a pretty simple program that doesn't overwhelm the end user whom is early on the learning curve (like me). All 3 are shareware.

Download QBrew for Mac OS X, QBrew for Mac OS X 0.4.1 Download

I use BeerAlchemy, and love it... it does both extract and all grain. I'm not sure about PM. I create recipe's w/ it, mostly slight variations of existing types but a few have been from scratch just making sure I meet BJCP guides, which BeerAlchemy has for you too.

AG, extract, E+G, and PM.

foo.png

I just switched from several of the free programs as well as all the demos and settled on Beer Tools Pro Mac. Eventually you will want to at least try all grain and by using a more advanced program it will help you make the transition when your ready. It is not very expensive to buy any of these programs.

Back