Lying through your beer... :\

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkincaid

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys... I've got a buddy who just starting brewing about 2 months ago. He bought 2 fermenting buckets and does his jazz that way. He started to brews at the same time and didn't move them to secondary. ((I know some people don't)) BUT upon asking him about it he said. "WTF is secondary? I just boil it and add some yeast right?" He hasn't asked me much about brewing, or read any books. He just shuffled around online and BOOM....there he was with 2 batches of beer.

Well.......I tasted batch 1. Very yeasty, cloudy, grainy, lots of sediment in bottle, and poorly carbonated. **BTW he said both batches were the same beer, started at the same time, carbed the same way**

Tasted batch 2. First of all, Very nice bottles *he said he reused commercial bottles*, Capping looked pro, very clear, I mean crystal!, totally different color than batch 1, clean taste and finish. NO SEDIMENT IN BOTTLE. not an ounce....

You guys tell me... I think my friend has gone ratty and is pawning off commercial beers as his own just to say that he's an expert. He couldn't tell me what was in them. He suddenly forgot the ingredients, and didn't take notes.

What do you think... I'm bummed that my buddy is being like this. Homebrewing is a craft and he is making a mockery of it. :(

the only way you can get a carb'd beer in a bottle with no sediment is to fill it from a keg of carb'd beer.
you can do this at the homebrew level easily enough...but does he have a kegging setup?

I suspect you're right..he's just soaking the labels off Buttweiser.

Unless he is trying to pull a gag on you then this is very odd behavior. It's hard to find a commercial bottle without a custom cap though so that's odd unless he recapped them.

Could it be that he just screwed the first bottling session up and learned from his mistakes to make the second bottling session better? I would say it's possible, but the lack of sediment may be the evidence that convicts him. Make a point to be amazed at the lack of sediment. Tell him that you have been trying to do the same thing and can't manage to bottle without yeast at the bottom and you want to know how he did it.

I'd call him on it. But I've been known to be an a$$ho!e in these types of situations. If it smells like BS, if it looks like BS, if it tastes like BS guess what. It is! Most of us have been there. I made 3 batches of crap. At that point I started to learn how to brew reading everything I could. I started asking a ton of questions at my LHBS. I then made 2 batches of ok beer. BAMM the light came on great beer takes knowledge. If you call him on his bluff maybe he will ask you for some help and you can share your knowledge and the URL to this site.

Haha that is hilarious. I wouldn't take it too seriously, he could be lying about the beer but it could just be that he was intimidated and wanted to impress one of his friends (you) with a nice beer. The best thing to do would be to suggest a brew day where you both get together and you can show the guy the ropes, then set a day for racking and another for bottling. Pawn it off like you just want to do it for fun, and in the end you could end up with a long term brew buddy (who doesn't lie).

Not sure I'd keep a "friend" that lies. Maybe you should avoid being coy, tell him he's a *****ebarge, and find friends that have finished middle school.

I'd like to hear:

"hey, batch #2 was great! If you make me 4 more cases of it, I'll give you the $40 it costs!"

Unless he is trying to pull a gag on you then this is very odd behavior. It's hard to find a commercial bottle without a custom cap though so that's odd unless he recapped them.

Could it be that he just screwed the first bottling session up and learned from his mistakes to make the second bottling session better? I would say it's possible, but the lack of sediment may be the evidence that convicts him. Make a point to be amazed at the lack of sediment. Tell him that you have been trying to do the same thing and can't manage to bottle without yeast at the bottom and you want to know how he did it.

So you are saying it is wrong to remove the label and use a roloc disk to remove the custom cap printing and say its mine? Now what do I do? Oh well, I had a good run. Another reason why I keg.

I say throw some Dharma initiative labels on some Keystone lights and offer him your latest home brew ;)

Its calling him out without calling him out.

I've got a friend who would do that, but it would be an attempt to make me look silly for professing to like something like a miller light. He is a wonderful troll.

He is probably out telling mutual friends that he 'fooled beer snob' right now and having a good laugh at your expense.

Well he can tote around saying what he wants lol.. I never admitted to being a beer snob, he knows I'm new to this as well. Only about 7 batches under my belt, but my first 2 batches were nothing like his mysterious batch #2. I'm just confused I guess... You don't have to be an expert to know something's fishy.

He wont cop to anything, but it's no skin off my butt. We aren't best friends, but buddies, I can do without him. ((Probably sounds harsh.)) But there have been other incidents of tomfoolery that led me to ask about his brew.

I just wanted a good opinion from the folks on here. :confused:

Back