Lowes Plastic Hoses/Tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheldon

Reaction score
Are Lowes tubing products ok to use running from MT-brew kettle-fermenter? I am not sure these are food grade or would impart off tastes. Input please.

I have nothing to base my opinion on, but I WOULD NOT.

I recommend dumping from kettle to fermenter for the added benefit of aeration.

Cool liquids should be OK, but I still wouldn't.

I use the braided tubing for my mash tun. I havn't detected any off flavors from it. I will eventually get some silicone tubing but couldn't get it locally and didn't want to pay more for shipping than what the tubing cost.

Are Lowes tubing products ok to use running from MT-brew kettle-fermenter? I am not sure these are food grade or would impart off tastes. Input please.

If it's food grade and has the proper heat rating for what you're doing.

_

for hot side, get yourself some silicone tubing but for cold side I see no problem with the clear vinyl tubing from HD/Lowes

I use it for my blowoff tubes, siphon tubing, and my keg to tap lines. Have not had any ill effects yet. I do not siphon from my brew kettle to my fermenter because I just dump it, usually a few times to aid oxidation.

It's all about tolerance.. Look at the temp rating + a little and that's when it will start to degrade and leach chemicals.. Most silicone is cold extruded and can withstand high temps.. Look up the MSDS for the material it's made of.. Tell all!!!

Back