Lowering my FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheftonUTD

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has any tips to lower my FG or get better attenuation?

It's not even really a problem I don't think, but using programs like Hopville/Brewtoad I often have my recipe being called 'out of style' for having my FG too high.

I'm brewing with extract, the two yeasts I have most experience with are US-05 and S-04.

Also I have noticed going by OG & FG they show that DME/LME ferments out more than dextrose, I thought it was about 80% for ME and about 100% for dextrose?

And one other question, I have found (mostly in high OG brews) that gently stirring the trub after a few weeks seems to cause fermentation to become active again and lower the FG a bit more. Any advice on doing this (other than don't infect/aerate it)?

Many say that you can't get really low attenuation with extract.

I found that with oxygen injection and using appropriate sized starters (only used dry yeast for my first few batches), I could ferment well below the 1.020 level.

Whether that was the liquid yeast, the O2, or the recipes, I can't say, never did it scientifically.

I believe dextrose is fully fermentable.

Stirring the yeast, or "rousing" can help finish a not fully attenuated beer. So can raising the temp (the temp IMO is more important to "finish" a fermentation. A keg bucket w/ water and an aquarium heater works very well.

Thanks, getting warmer temperatures here isn't a problem, I was thinking of taking my current IPA out of the brew fridge and gently giving it a stir then letting it sit until it's done. I've been cold-crashing for my last 3 brews but am thinking of skipping it this time (I can only fit 1 fermenter in the fridge at a time).
Planning on starting a blonde ale next, my usual goal is about 5%abv (inc carb), so I'll probably subsitute a bit of dextrose for malt to get a good OG/FG/abv then.

I've done 8 brews so far, the most recent 3 of which were very good, just trying to work out why they aren't as good 'on paper' as they taste.

I don't really use Brewtoad so I can't tell you why it would show extract as somehow more fermentable than dextrose, but I can tell you for sure that dextrose is 100% fermentable. I use brewtarget, lots of folks use beersmith, and you may find that either of those programs is more accurate than what you are currently using (again, not having spent any time using hopville/brewtoad I can't be sure, but I know my software has been pretty close for every batch I've done).

As far as getting better attenuation, yeast health is paramount. The yeasts you are using should be pretty good to pitch into a 5 gallon batch without needing a starter if your OG is in the low-medium range (like under 1.060). Higher than that, you'll want to use a starter to make sure you're getting a proper pitch rate. Beyond that, proper aeration and temperature control are the biggest things that will help them. Aerate thoroughly before you pitch. Start fermentation in the low/mid 60's, then after a week or so slowly allow the temp to come up to somewhere around 70 to help keep the yeast active so they finish the job.

What are you getting for OG/FG with the beers you have been brewing so far? Are you taking gravity readings, or just going by what the software is telling you for estimates?

A higher pitch rate and more initial aeration will improve the attenuation. Also, when going all extract don't be afraid to add some sugar. A low temperature mash (highly fermentable) increases dextrose. It's the same as adding a little sugar. Replacing 10-20% of your DME with sugar should do the trick. I'm not sure how you are hydrating your yeast, but, with dry yeasts some say that hydrating in wort (rather than water) will lower the viable cell count.

There is more information about this on my blog. If you are having trouble finding the relevant experiments I'll post some links.

What are you getting for OG/FG with the beers you have been brewing so far? Are you taking gravity readings, or just going by what the software is telling you for estimates?

This is what I was wondering too - including recipes and styles. You seem to be saying you are happy with the way they taste but they don't look good "on paper". Do you really want to mess with things if you are happy with the beer? On the other hand if you've gotten some feedback that the beer tastes too sweet/underattenuated and the numbers support it then maybe.

Back