Lower reading on secondary regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LateraLex

Reaction score
I just got my first secondary regulator so I can serve some beers at a slightly lower carbonation. I just finished hooking it up and did a leak test. The reading on the secondary reg is a good 3-4 psi lower than on the primary. Is this normal, or do I have an issue somewhere in the chain?

IMG_20170211_154814.jpg

You need to troubleshoot your secondary regulator first. The two regulators may be off from one another. Screw your secondary regulator onto the CO2 tank and see if the reading is the same as your primary regulator.

Taprite advises their secondary regulators have a minimum differential pressure of 5 psi.
Thus, if you're running, say, 12 psi on the primary side, the highest pressure the secondary is guaranteed to "regulate" would be 7 psi...

Cheers!

I just got my first secondary regulator so I can serve some beers at a slightly lower carbonation. I just finished hooking it up and did a leak test. The reading on the secondary reg is a good 3-4 psi lower than on the primary. Is this normal, or do I have an issue somewhere in the chain?

The secondary pressure should be lower, it's certainly not going to be higher. Are you trying to set them the same? I have a primary regulator set at 60 psi. That feeds into 4 secondary regulators all set between 10 and 20 psi depending on the beer it's serving. I'm not sure if the secondary can be set at the same pressure as the primary since I think there has to be some pressure differential (or something like that).

Taprite advises their secondary regulators have a minimum differential pressure of 5 psi.
Thus, if you're running, say, 12 psi on the primary side, the highest pressure the secondary is guaranteed to "regulate" would be 7 psi...

Cheers!

Thanks! I wish I had known that in advance as I'm not sure I will always want my "other" beer at least 5 psi lower than my other beers... but I'm very glad you told me as I would have been scratching my head for a while!

Cheers!

Dammit day_trippr, you beat me to it.

Latest posts

Back