Lower PSI at colder Temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerme01

Reaction score
This was a question I posted in another thread and wanted to see if anyone knows the answer.

I kegged my first batch last week, First of all, my equipment. Regular SS corny keg, 10# CO2 Tank, 3ft long, 1/4" ID CO2 line, dual pressure gauge (2 pressure 0 - 60 PSI CO2 regulator set with 1/4 Flare (threaded) fittings and ball valve shutoffs: www.kegkits.com). Now this is what I did:

I chilled the keg to 42 degrees for two hours then hooked up the co2 tank to the keg and set pressure to 13 PSI (set and forget method), then threw everything in the fridge. Now, when I set to 13 PSI, my co2 tank was at room temperature, not 42 degrees like the keg.

My question is this - do I need to adjust my PSI now that the co2 tank is at a lower temperature?

Thanks for any input!!

You don't need to consider the co2 tank in your carbonation calculations. It doesn't matter is the co2 tank is warm or cold, what matters is the dissolved co2 in solution (read beer) and the temp. of the solution. Also, when you dispense you need to consider the restriction of the line out based on the pressure in the keg.
mark
Beer Diary...

well, if your CO2 output is not at 13psi, yes, turn it up.
the temp of the CO2 cylinder shouldn't matter for output. if you have an internal tank pressure you'll notice it drops a bit but the output should stay the same.

that said, i've seen many new regulators in my day that seem to need to 'break in' a little. you set it at 13psi, and it'll slide to 10psi after 24 hours. after a few 'resets' it will hold 13psi, and be accurate forever more.

seems like its just the valve inside flexing a little until it gets happy.

Latest posts

Back