Low-Tech Step mashing With immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philo2013

Reaction score
I have been batch sparging for awhile now with 1 burner, 1 keggle, 2 coolers and no electronics. I would like to step mash (only 2 steps) and fly sparge without getting any additional equipment.
I just read an article in BYO Jan-Feb 2013 by Walter Diaz about pumping hot water through a copper immersion chiller that is in the mash tun. I know this is backwards from a typical RIMS set-up but the author says it is a much gentler way to increase mash temps.
He is setting it up with a temperature controller but maybe it can be done manually and low-tech. The copper coil can be gently swirled in the mash while watching the temp to avoid over shooting. If the increase is 2 degrees per minute it should only take 8-9 minutes for each step.
Has anyone else tried this?

Wait...i had to read it a few times.

But your just describing a HERMS mashing system are you not?

People have been doing that for years, granted many use electronics but im sure many do it manually for step mashes...

Yes, it is more like a HERMS than a RIMS. Thank you. The main difference is that hot water is pumped through the coil not hot wort. Also, the coil is in the mash tun not the HLT.

To do any of these heating systems you need a high temp pump, which is sometimes the most expensive component in a herms/rims. There goes your cheap rig. Boiling water infusions works well and almost free.

Back