low FG, any input?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewerJase

Reaction score
so I've been brewing extract for a year and a half. so far I've been very happy with the results. I recently made the jump into all-grain and are 3 batches in. my last beer was a centennial session blond recipe I for on this forum.

Grain Bill, 5 gallon batch
6 lbs 2-row
12 oz Cara-Pils
8 oz crystal 20
8 oz Vienna

yeast
us-05 (no starter, just tossed in pack)

beersmith estimated OG 1.043 and FG 1.009

I ended up with an OG 1.040 and FG 1.004

like I said before im new to all grain, but FG 1.004 seems low

I hit my mash temp of 152 perfectly and didn't lose any temp over the 60 min. mash.

any one have any insight on what would cause this?

thanks in advance

One thing I learned recently was about not rehydrating the yeast before pitching; apparently this can cause more "daughter" cells which are hungrier and will eat up more sugars. I had almost the exact same thing happen with a pale ale I made recently (2nd AG batch, 2nd time using dry yeast).
Still quite drinkable though!

Did you calibrate your thermometer recently? US05 is exceedingly unlikely to hit 90% at a 152 mash. At a slightly lower mash temp, it might though.

Have you calibrated your hydrometer? Make sure it reads 1.000 in room temperature water (really should used distilled, but tap water is close enough). My hydrometer reads 4 points high, so I just take that into account when I take a reading. If yours reads 4-5 points low, you may be right on target.

Did you calibrate your thermometer recently? US05 is exceedingly unlikely to hit 90% at a 152 mash. At a slightly lower mash temp, it might though.

I checked my thermometer last night. Boiling water was exactly 212 and a cup full of crushed ice and a little water read 31.7. So looks like the thermometer is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Have you calibrated your hydrometer? Make sure it reads 1.000 in room temperature water (really should used distilled, but tap water is close enough). My hydrometer reads 4 points high, so I just take that into account when I take a reading. If yours reads 4-5 points low, you may be right on target.

I will calibrate tonight. I have some distilled water for making sanitiser I can use. Thanks.

YAAAAAY!!! Thanks for the advice. Just checked my hydrometer and it was .004 out of whack. So my FG was actually 1.008. Almost what it should have been.

Back