Low efficiency Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zenzi09

Reaction score
I narrowed it down to a few things, probably should of took some more SG readings as I went but here it is.

I made a black IPA today that had roughly a 13lb grain bill.
Strike water was at 167f 4 Gal
Mash was 45m at 152-155f
Sparge water 4.5g at 170f

Double batch sparge

Tried an iodine test but being a black IPA was a touch hard to tell.
Boil size was about 6.5gal

Forgot to get the preboil SG
OG was 1.045 , was aiming for 1.065 which put me around 40% efficiency.

My guess is I should of let the mash go the full 60mins or longer. Any thoughts on this?

I'll just take my lumps and have a 4% IPA but was curious.

A few possibilities. You don't mention the grains you used but a high percentage of darker grains could be an issue for fermentability. How "black" was your black IPA? Also, have you checked your thermometer? Mashing on the higher side, as you were, can quickly become too high if your thermometer is off by even a few degrees.

If your iodine test was okay, I wouldn't worry about the length of time on the mash.

So many things could go wrong. Did you do BIAB? If not can you describe your tun and process?

normally my SG and efficiency is consistent. Not a BIAB, the mash was about 8 degrees higher than I would normally mash at(144-146) range.

My thermometer is new, but my hydrometer is rather old, but never noticed any problems with it in the past.

My mash tun is a 10 gallon chest cooler that holds temperature within a couple degrees over an hour. Fitted with a bazooka screen.

Filled up cooler with strike water at about 167, added in the 13lbs grain, stirred it up real good and got a temperature off 155, closed it up and let sit for 45mins, did the iodine test and didn't notice any change in cooler so I recirculated and took my first runnings.

Poured in first 2.5gal at 170 stirred it and let sit 5-10mins, recirculated and collected.

Same with second 2.5gal sparge water.

Did not take a temperature reading after adding sparge water.

Grain Bill

11.5 Rahr 2-row
0.5 Briess caramel 80l
.38 carafe III
.38 chocolate malt

Higher temp may have caused heavier dough balls. Did you go through and break them up?

As soon as i started treating all my water with 5.2 ph stabilizer my efficiency went from low 60s to a solid 75

No I never did look or try to break up dough balls. Thought never occurred to me.
I also never do water chemistry but I've never had a problem with this in the past.

If you still have the grains, check to see if they're still there. If so, break one open and do an iodine test in the middle of it.

I narrowed it down to a few things, probably should of took some more SG readings as I went but here it is.

I made a black IPA today that had roughly a 13lb grain bill.
Strike water was at 167f 4 Gal
Mash was 45m at 152-155f
Sparge water 4.5g at 170f

Double batch sparge

Tried an iodine test but being a black IPA was a touch hard to tell.
Boil size was about 6.5gal

Forgot to get the preboil SG
OG was 1.045 , was aiming for 1.065 which put me around 40% efficiency.

My guess is I should of let the mash go the full 60mins or longer. Any thoughts on this?

I'll just take my lumps and have a 4% IPA but was curious.

With the facts at hand there are two likely possibilities.
1 Measurement error
2 Temperature error with excessively hot mash resulting in minimal starch conversion
Without accurate preboil gravities it is impossible to target the error precisely. My top suspect would be a poor crush owing to the large error. Second suspect would be an inaccurate thermometer or lack of homogeneity of the mash at measurement.

Higher temp may have caused heavier dough balls. Did you go through and break them up?

I vote dough balls. When you add grain to hot water the grain will gelatinize creating dough balls. The inside of the ball is dry so didn't convert which resulted in lower than expected mash conversion.

Take an elec drill and chuck a hand mix whisk in it. Go to town on your mash. Stirring simply moves them around. The whisk will break them up.

I like the whisk idea, I'll def give that a shot Tuesday for my next batch.

I like the whisk idea, I'll def give that a shot Tuesday for my next batch.

There are a cpl other possibilities:

You might consider mashing in below the gelatinization temp (~140*F) then increase mash temp by water infusions to hit various rest stops. It's more traditional and some say creates a better beer. It also prevents dough balls. But it does lengthen the mash time slightly: Protein rest + and/or beta sach rest + and/or alpha sach rest + mash out.

But if you are mashing at higher temps the gelatinized balls will be a possibility so slow incremental grain additions could be used. A typical grain bill of 10-12 lbs could use up to 8 additions stirring to incorporate well. The downside is this can cause strike water temp loss.

...also, some say you have to be careful of splashing when you mash in or hot side aeration can occur.

Lots to consider here. Most of all: have fun!

My vote is bad crush. I feel like lots of shops have their mill set a little too big. My first AG batch came up short and I'm positive that was the cause.

Latest posts

Back