Low Efficiency...Correct ABV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SONICYOUTH

Reaction score
I posted on here not too long ago because I was constantly getting an efficiency of about 55% or so for my AGs. However, I've noticed that the calculators online will predict my FG to be about .01 above what it actually comes out to be. For example, the IPA I just did started at 1.054 when it was supposed to be in the ball park of 1.07 but finished at 1.004 whereas online it said that it should finish at 1.014. This being the case, is it safe to assume my hydrometer is off and I just need to adjust?

But in terms of ABV, if it's still on the money then it really doesn't matter terribly does it?

theres more to OG and FG then just hitting the target ABV. a 1.07 OG and 1.014 FG beer is going to taste very different then a 1.06 and 1.004 beer.

Does it matter what the ABV is?
On the other hand it is nice to know your effichiensy. If you use a recepie that is made for 75% utilisation it is nice to have a basis to know if you need to use more or less base malt to reach the same result

In clean water the hydrometer should show 1.000 whatever is off is the correction/ or where the water line actually is is your 1.000 point

It should be a lot thinner tasting at those lower gravities, which could be the result of bad efficiency and low mash temps, I believe.

Back