Low-chill cultivars?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarsColonist

Reaction score
Anyone know of information on chill hours required for hops? Or maybe if there are any low-chill cultivars? Central Texas gets schizophrenic weather in the fall and winter (50's to 30's to 80's then back to 50's over a couple of days in Jan or Feb is not unheard of).

Zero. The seeds need about 6 weeks of freezing weather, but the plants do not need any.

Hmmm. So rhizomes dont need ANY chill hours? I was under the impression that it was the vernalization requirements and the cooler summer night time temp (our summer night time temps sometimes dont drop below 90°F until almost daybreak) that kept it from being a southern US crop (below 35th parallel). Also, I was under the impression that the length of time in the day exposed to summer sun at various latitudes had some bearing on its ability to perform well (that may be an above the 55th parallel issue). Im sure the blistering summer heat, intense afternoon sunlight and drought-like conditions we get here certainly dont help... stupid 30th parallel.

Well, the people over at the OSU High-alpha hop program don't think they need vernalization.

The two main things hops need is sunshine and water. They have a lot of roots near the surface. Look up the typical summer weather for Yakima, WA for the ideal growth conditions.

You mean they don't like 100 days of 100F+ in the summertime?

maxhavoc: Here in TX grow your hops in a mostly shaded area that gets morning sun until about 11am or noon, then shaded in the hot late afternoon sun. I've been meaning to move mine on that side of my house. Last year the hop cones looked nice but dried out in the heat and sun before maturing.

What did you grow Soper? Cascade? I know EdWort's did real well that one summer we had tons of rain (2007?), but after that, Im pretty sure he bailed out on growing them due to the heat issue.

What did you grow Soper? Cascade? I know EdWort's did real well that one summer we had tons of rain (2007?), but after that, Im pretty sure he bailed out on growing them due to the heat issue.

The ones I have that seem to be growing fine are cascade, chinook, perle, and nugget. Seems like the ones with high AA do best for me.

I treat mine a lot like clematis. Keep the roots shaded and cool and the leaves in the sun. And check frequently. With the mass of leaves a hop can produce it is easy for them to respire a LOT of moisture on the really hot days.

Back