Low carbonation in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoffrey20005

Reaction score
I haven't made the push to kegging yet, rather like bottling and the ease I can move my bottles around to friends parties (that is, if I bottle a beer I would like to tout around and show off...)

Issue: Past two brews I have bottled have not carbonated. I have one that has been sitting in bottle for about a week, at what should be a steady 63-65 degrees, and popped it open today to test carbonation. I got that wonderful 'FSHHH' sound when I popped the cap off, but the bottle itself is practically flat.

Priming sugar was right on point, even used the beermaster calc to make sure I was using the right amount. I know it might be a little early with this batch, but it seems like it should be carbbed up by now! Also, I didn't cold crash or anything. This brew was in primary for about a week, secondary for about a week, and then bottled up. Steady temps throughout brewing. OG was spot on, so I know the yeast did it's job.

Any idea what I am missing here?

Give the beers another week of conditioning and get them cold for a day or two before opening.

Agreed to what Mer-man asks. I had mine sitting at probably about 64 or so, and moved it into a warmer room of about 72 to try and speed up the carbonation. Not sure if it was worth it or not....or is the rule of thumb just 3 weeks at an ambient temp?

Bottle conditioning is a small fermentation in the bottle. The colder the temp, the longer fermentation, and thus carbonation occurs. Warmer temps speed the process up a little. Three weeks at about 70F is a good rule.

Back